Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Any guesses about Toulumne Campground opening date?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Any guesses about Toulumne Campground opening date?
May 23, 2011 09:37AM
I am thinking not till July 4th? Anyone with knowledge of previous opening dates? Have a guess?
avatar Re: Any guesses about Toulumne Campground opening date?
May 23, 2011 11:30AM
Last year was July 1, and there was still a bit of snow in some of the campsites, while other were muddy.

We're also hoping to get up there again this July 4th for a long weekend, but have a back-up plan on the books as well.
May 23, 2011 11:51AM
It'll be my first time camping up there. Probably go for late July.
May 23, 2011 12:18PM
hotrod4x5
I am thinking not till July 4th? Anyone with knowledge of previous opening dates? Have a guess?

I talked to one of the people in charge of campgrounds and she had said they are shooting for a July 1st opening day. I am hoping to speak with her the 1st week in June. SHe told me that she would know better then.
May 23, 2011 04:14PM
telfair ave
I talked to one of the people in charge of campgrounds and she had said they are shooting for a July 1st opening day.

I'm sure they really want it open before the big July 4th weekend. But if the sewage system isn't up by then, they won't be able to open the campground. So it all depends on the snow melting.
May 23, 2011 12:51PM
Not guessing, just sharing information. Last year, we had reservations in Tuolumne from July 4-9 and we received the following email from recreation.gov a few days before our stay: "This notice is to inform campers with reservations for the Yosemite Tuolumne Meadows Campground to expect early spring-time conditions for the first few weeks of July. Due to late season storms and cool temperatures, you should anticipate snow on the ground in some areas, excess water, and many mosquitoes in the campground.” We found availability in Hodgdon Meadows for a few nights and then a few more in the valley, so we canceled. Since we tent camp, I did not have a huge desire to camp in the above mentioned conditions (I have been eaten alive there before and didn't want a repeat).

This year they didn't start taking reservations until July 15 (unlike last year). So with the larger snow levels and recent storms, who knows. Last year I believe it partially opened July 1st. I am very much looking forward to my short visit there July 18-21 before I hit the valley though!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login