All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hike for Hope CANCLED for 2011.
May 23, 2011 01:11PM
Hello everyone. Again, We regret to have to cancel this event. Bottom line: We did not expect for YNP to require permits to hike half dome. Hence, passes were all sold out earlier this year. Please keep in touch as we will reschedule for Summer 2012.

Thank you,

Rudy Chavarria Jr
CEO
College Vs Cancer
909-645-0598
rudy@collegewebmedia.com
avatar Re: Hike for Hope CANCLED for 2011.
May 23, 2011 01:21PM
Why not pick a different hike? There are plenty of challenging trails in Yosemite. They may not have the caché that Half Dome carries with the general public, but, frankly, the general public knows very little about hiking anyway.
Re: Hike for Hope CANCLED for 2011.
May 23, 2011 02:33PM
itchbay
Why not pick a different hike? There are plenty of challenging trails in Yosemite. They may not have the caché that Half Dome carries with the general public, but, frankly, the general public knows very little about hiking anyway.

That's the question I ask people who cancel the trip to Yosemite altogether, just because they can't get the HD permit. There is no real answer. Alas.

To think they could just go to... a zillion other peak tops. Sigh.
May 23, 2011 02:49PM
I could see if you were using it as a kind of fund raising boost: "Give me $100 to fight cancer, and I'll climb Half Dome."

But one could just as easily say, "Give me $100 to fight cancer and I'll climb to the top of Yosemite Falls, which is the nation's highest waterfall." Or, "Give me $100 to fight cancer, and I'll go on a 15 mile hike, climbing over 2000 feet."

Or if you were using Half Dome as an experience to sell in order to raise funds, as in selling a guided hike. But people who would pay to hike Half Dome for charity would likely do the same for North Dome, or Glacier Point, or any of the other great hikes in Yosemite.

Personally, I'd rather pay for a guided hike to someplace less common. But that's just me. I've never understood the draw of Half Dome. I'd rather look AT it, than look down from it, I guess.

And as someone who regularly raises funds for one charity or another (ask me about my latest efforts!), you can raise money for just about anything if you're flexible and dedicated.
May 23, 2011 02:43PM
North Dome is a great alternative. I agree, why cancel simply because you can't do Half Dome. Many people who do it shouldn't be going anyway, out of shape and all that.
May 23, 2011 03:32PM
I think it is all about looking at Half Dome--with the satisfaction and memory of making it to the top. Other peaks may have better views--but other peaks are not as viewed as Half Dome.
May 23, 2011 03:45PM
chicagocwright
I think it is all about looking at Half Dome--with the satisfaction and memory of making it to the top. Other peaks may have better views--but other peaks are not as viewed as Half Dome.

I'm much more satisfied with making it to Alta Peak, Mitchell Peak, and every other peak I've walked up to, than I ever was with Half Dome. There are more challenging hikes out there. But to each his own.
May 23, 2011 03:47PM
chicagocwright

Bingo. So please go and enjoy.

(btw over the years on this board I have put up a very large number of peaks in the park... very few are commented on)
(people know Half Dome. something like Quartzite... not so much)

Have fun
May 23, 2011 03:57PM
Collegevscancer
... We did not expect for YNP to require permits to hike half dome.

Any particular reason why this was unexpected?
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,31852,31860#msg-31860

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 04:10PM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login