Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Doomsday Starts Out With A Bang

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Doomsday Starts Out With A Bang
May 23, 2011 07:22PM
Just after midnight, I was woken up by a rather loud bang. My first thought was a shotgun, though it sounded strangely muffled. So I checked around the house, went out to my cul-de-sac looking for dead bodies & such, but found nothing. And there were no police sirens approaching, either. So I went back to bed. I got up at 4 am to get ready for our Yosemite trip, where Steve planned to meet up with Brent N for a Half Dome ascent.

So I got my stuff together, made lunch, then opened the freezer to get my rather clever way of keeping lunch cool - the frozen root beer can. Oh.

Steve & I made good time to Yosemite, noting that there was hardly any traffic, just us heathens. Steve caught up with Brent N at the top of Vernal and attacked Half Dome. Further details in Steve's report.

I got to the top of Vernal, & settled in for a delightful afternoon of birdwatching. Collected a lot of data points, & had some great conversations along the way.

Afterwards we all met at the pizza place.
avatar Re: Doomsday Starts Out With A Bang
May 23, 2011 07:30PM
I started hear strange popping noises near Tuolumne Meadows one time. Turned out to be cans of Diet Coke in the back of the car that weren't doing well with the sun shining on them at altitude.
May 23, 2011 09:27PM
I am always glad to know that I am not the only one who has set of "bombs" in the freezer!!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
May 23, 2011 09:39PM
That sounds messy.

Back in the days when I still used commercial hygiene products, I once left my gym bag in the backseat of my car, with a canister of body spray. I guess it got too hot, and it exploded, ripping a hole through my Timbuk2 bag, and barely missing the window.

I had to drive with the windows down for a week, the smell was so strong.
May 23, 2011 10:15PM
Same thing happened to Chick-on's hiking pants after his ill-advised Thirteen Twinkie Snackie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 10:35PM by szalkowski.
May 24, 2011 06:38AM
Dear Dr. Marmot,
Thirteen is bad numba. So I never eat that numba. I careful on Judgement day.
Even change plan and take bridge across Illiouette instead of loggy upstream.
I take photo for you though... puker up:

Signed,
(Always appeasing the godsly yours)
Chick-on is looking at you!

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 24, 2011 01:15PM
He eats up to 14 at a time, skipping # 13.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login