Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Passes Open By Memorial Day?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Passes Open By Memorial Day?
May 24, 2011 01:43PM
Because of late season snow there are still closure gates on Highway 108 Sonora Pass, Highway 4 Ebbetts Pass and Highway 120 Tioga Pass. Caltrans is projecting that both Sonora Pass and Ebbetts Pass will be open by late Friday.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1297091/Passes-Open-By-Memorial-Day.html
avatar Re: Passes Open By Memorial Day?
May 24, 2011 01:54PM
Officials with Yosemite National Park could not be reached this morning regarding whether Highway 120 Tioga Pass will be open by the weekend.

Now that one is funny. They probably would have just laughed at the question.

On a related note. I wouldn't doubt that GP road will be open Friday. The road was completely plowed including the parking lots.
At GP itself the sidewalks were still covered in a couple feet of snow... but workers showed up on Sat. with shovels to get at it
(not sure why they didn't come up with a Bobcat)

Maybe if it opens are not depends on if the bathrooms are operational by then.

What do I know...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Passes Open By Memorial Day?
May 24, 2011 02:36PM
chick-on
Officials with Yosemite National Park could not be reached this morning regarding whether Highway 120 Tioga Pass will be open by the weekend.

Now that one is funny. They probably would have just laughed at the question.

On a related note. I wouldn't doubt that GP road will be open Friday. The road was completely plowed including the parking lots.
At GP itself the sidewalks were still covered in a couple feet of snow... but workers showed up on Sat. with shovels to get at it
(not sure why they didn't come up with a Bobcat)

What do I know...
Maybe they'll plant a few Porta-Potties in the snow drifts. smiling smiley
May 24, 2011 11:49PM
chick-on

Usually the permanent bathrooms at Glacier Point are not operational until two to four weeks after the road has been officially opened for the season. But they usually do place several Porta-Potties in the parking lot until they are. Though some years, the temporary Porta-Potties don't arrive at Glacier Point until several days after the road has been opened to the public.
May 25, 2011 12:04AM
As I understand it, the septic systems for the bathrooms at both Glacier Point and Bridalveil campground were installed such that the water table in the area is too high.

This means the bathrooms can't be used in early season until the snow melt has finished and the water table has dropped.

That's why the bathrooms at Glacier Point are closed with Porta-Potties instead, and Bridalveil campground isn't open.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login