Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: fly fishing in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

fly fishing in Yosemite
May 25, 2011 11:49AM
My family are fly fishing beginners. We took our first lesson in Rocky Mountain NP two years ago and last summer fished in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Are there any good places in Yosemite for beginners who do not have waders? Is there a place near by that we can rent waders? We have our own rods. Are there local guides?
May 25, 2011 12:43PM
winking smiley

Oprah Winfrey did a great show on Yosemite flyfishing...

winking smiley
avatar Re: fly fishing in Yosemite
May 25, 2011 12:47PM
There are lots of small creeks where waders wouldn't be needed or useful.
May 25, 2011 03:02PM
There are several guides that can get you around Yosemite for Fly Fishing - Go to Yahoo and search for "Fly Fishing Yosemite" and several guides will come up - including one that looks pretty attractive from Tenaya Lodge

I plan on Fly Fishing Yosemite this July and am reading an excellent book on flyfishing the park - My understanding is that you have to be selective with the Merced River in the valley - From Happy Isles down a few miles, the fish are very selective and you don't have much luck but the Merced gets better closer to the entrance into the valley. That said, I have caught brookies above Nevada Falls by Little Yosemite Valley and I'm sure there are some Goldens up there too

As you leave the park going west, there are supposed to be several very nice spots on the Merced but getting there is tricky and watch out for snakes. The fish are supposed to be very big though - I may check it out if I have time.

Tuolomne is supposed to have some very nice fishing for brook and brown. - I plan on hitting this too.

The fish tend to be smaller - Use light tippet and you can never go wrong with caddis. (olive or light brown) Have also had alot of hits with parachute adams in the sierras

Tight Lines
May 25, 2011 05:09PM
thanks for the info. I hope I do better than Oprah did. LOL I still have those two shows on my DVR.
May 25, 2011 07:24PM
On another thread you mention that you'll be in Yosemite on Friday. I hope you are not planning to fly fish now. It's way too early in the season.

Are you returning to Yosemite in the fall?
May 25, 2011 09:59PM
Best fishing in Yosemite is in the backcountry---and you don't have to hike very far to get to it. Illilouette creek is loaded with rainbows to about 10 inches, for example.

But you won't find fishing in Yosemite to be much like RMNP. There are a lot more people in Yosemite, and the fish are warier. Get away from the people and you'll have a much better time.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 26, 2011 09:29AM
Great website you have there at backpacking the sierras - I agree with your overall philosophy - I am going to check out some of your all time favorite hikes sometime next year - Thanks for all of your work setting this site up -
May 26, 2011 09:11PM
Glad you like it! And the best part is that we just keep finding new places to hike...and write up on the site !

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 26, 2011 01:33PM
NacciNW - we have no plans to fish on this trip because of spring river conditions. We will be in Yosemite several times this summer and into the fall. I have heard that there are several good spots in Wawona but are not sure exactly where they are.

Balzaccom - I have bad knees so I can't hike very far so any suggestions on where to go that does not involved much hiking is appreciated. As for catching something, sometimes it is the process and not the outcome that is important. I find fly fishing very relaxing and even if I don't catch anything, I still get to see the scenery and have the joy of being outside.

I always try to remember what a old man told my son when we were fishing in the Tetons. "If you caught a fish every time it would be called catching and not fishing."
May 26, 2011 02:31PM
Chilnualna Creek has some little fish, but the stream fishing is much more challenging than lake fishing. Hike up the Upper Chilnualna Fall trail about a mile or more. When you see or hear the creek near by, cut through the woods to reach it. There are a few footpaths down to the creek from the big open rock area. You can fish the bit of Chilnualna Creek along the Lower Fall trail, but it's not very private and it's pretty bushy.

Drive to the end of Forest Drive, park, walk past the Swinging Bridge, and fish your way up the South Fork.

Park at the Wawona Campground and walk downstream along the river for a half mile or so. Fish your way back up.
May 26, 2011 05:17PM
Thanks again. We used to do some spin cast before we started fly fishing and found that we enjoy rivers and creeks more than lakes.
May 26, 2011 06:38PM
If you are going to fish in the park you'll need to get a NPS Yosemite permit at the visitor center(In addition to to Ca. fishing license). If I remember right they want you to keep any browns you catch and release any rainbows you catch. I have seen many Suckers in the Merced in the Valley and I assume they would like you to not return those to the river. Not very good on memory so you'll need to verify all this with the Yosemite NPS. Personally I think you'd do better on the eastside of the Sierras, Lee Vining creek and the June and Mammoth Lakes areas..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 06:39PM by mtn man.
avatar Re: fly fishing in Yosemite
May 26, 2011 06:46PM
mtn man
If you are going to fish in the park you'll need to get a NPS Yosemite permit at the visitor center(In addition to to Ca. fishing license).

What? I see nothing saying that on their fishing page:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/fishing.htm
May 26, 2011 09:13PM
Unless something has changed this year, you don't need a permit to fish in the Park...you just need a valid CA fishing license.

May 26, 2011 10:14PM
I stand corrected, and this is a change. 2 years ago I was required to get a Yosemite fishing permit. But I am right about the Browns and Rainbows (Half right isn't half bad!).
May 27, 2011 09:07AM
mtn man
I stand corrected, and this is a change. 2 years ago I was required to get a Yosemite fishing permit. But I am right about the Browns and Rainbows (Half right isn't half bad!).

State fishing regs say - can't keep rainbows out of the Merced, and you can only keep 2 browns. But those regs are unique to specific sections of the river.

Elsewhere, general bag limits are 5 trout or salmon (of any kind) and 10 brook trout. But that varies - this is for the Sierra region. For California always check the regs before you go to an area you aren't familiar with - in some it's closed year round, in others it's seasonal, in others some fish are always catch and release. Wild and Scenic rivers (the Kings in Kings Canyon, Merced in Yosemite Valley) are catch and release, barbless hooks, no bait allowed. In fact, all of Yosemite is lure only, no bait fishing allowed.

Brook trout are actually char, btw. Not trout. Sort of cousins of trout and salmon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 09:09AM by AlmostThere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login