Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Panorama Trail Conditions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Panorama Trail Conditions?
May 26, 2011 11:01AM
I've been eagerly watching this forum for the GP opening to determine a solo hike for this Sunday while my sweetie takes her father on his first tour of the valley. I think Pohono Trail is out since I'm not well experienced on snow yet, if only he had scheduled his trip out here a bit later...

So is Panorama Trail in good shape? Haven't seen any recent reports here. I can be dropped off at GP and am thinking to head down to Nevada Fall and Mist Trail. And could the forecast that flips between nice and 20% thundershowers affect this at all? Not looking for anything epic, just a nice easy-ish jaunt away from most of the crowds.

I'm a strong, reasonably cautious and occasionally intelligent hiker - and I do trip reports smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 11:10AM by Treeswing.
May 26, 2011 11:41AM
Will G.P. Road be open on Sunday?
avatar Re: Panorama Trail Conditions?
May 26, 2011 11:44AM
ERICG

Yes.
May 26, 2011 11:53AM
ERICG

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36911
May 26, 2011 12:07PM
Sir,
I alluded to it quite a bit in other threads... but I just did that trail on Saturday. It's free and clear.
Very very very little snow. Which will be gone quickly... if not already.
Pohono has feets of snow on it. Do The Pan Trail.

You can find some photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Pohono

Hmm... maybe I don't have a photo of the trail there... but can put one if you like.

Have fun
Chick-on is looking at you!

May 26, 2011 01:18PM
chick-on
I alluded to it quite a bit in other threads... but I just did that trail on Saturday. It's free and clear.
Very very very little snow. Which will be gone quickly... if not already.

Were there any large fallen trees across the Panorama Trail that you had to traverse or go around? Last time I hiked the Pano trail early in the season, the Park Service hadn't yet removed any of the trees that had fallen across the trail (there were two or three large ones, IIRC).
May 26, 2011 01:24PM
plawrence
Were there any large fallen trees across the Panorama Trail that you had to traverse or go around? Last time I hiked the Pano trail early in the season, the Park Service hadn't yet removed any of the trees that had fallen across the trail (there were two or three large ones, IIRC).
Not really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 01:25PM by chick-on.
May 26, 2011 06:55PM
Since Glacier Pt. road was still closed, I am assuming you went up the trail from the valley? How far could you go with a clear trail, all the way to Glacier Pt.?
May 26, 2011 09:59PM
MwrightTulsa
Since Glacier Pt. road was still closed, I am assuming you went up the trail from the valley? How far could you go with a clear trail, all the way to Glacier Pt.?
Uh.... Actually I went down the trail to the valley. By trail I assume you mean Panorama Trail.

My route was more or less starting from Wawona Tunnel taking Pohono Trail to GP and then down Panorama.
But since El Cap bus wasn't running I also had to hike from Camp 4 back up to Wawona Tunnel.

As for clear trails, yes, the Panorama is free and clear. There will be no snow by this weekend.
The Pohono Trail was covered in snow at 6000 ft. ... many feet. Some of this was due to the recent
storm we had. Nearly 100% snow coverage.... however from Wawona Tunnel to Inspiration Pt. is open
and completely free of snow.
Mosquitos and black flies were present but not too annoying yet.

Does that answer it?

May 27, 2011 07:18AM
Perfectly!!!! I know the route you took and I know almost exactly the point from which you provided your picture of Panorama Trail. This is awesome news - thanks!!!!!
May 27, 2011 08:44AM
By the way, any idea how the snow conditions on the Taft Point hike might be from the trail head at Glacier Pt. road?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 08:45AM by MwrightTulsa.
May 27, 2011 08:45AM
MwrightTulsa
By the way, any idea how the Taft Point hike might be from the trail head at Glacier Pt. road?

I have an idea it's snowy. Specially down in the trees.
May 27, 2011 11:09AM
See, I said more or less... Actually took the ski trail to GP road from Taft and hiked
the road to Sentinel Dome. As I stated already there is feet of snow. The trail sign jct.
of the southern trail to Sentinel and the Pohono trail ... that sign was not visibile.
If you take a look at the picture set again, I added some photos for you w/ annotations.
The winter trail markers do not go to the parking lot... but if you can find them in the
trees a bit after crossing Sentinel Creek they will lead you to Taft Pt.
Most of the Pohono Trail is in woods... I'll leave it at that.

Have fun

May 27, 2011 11:57AM
Thank you sooooooo much - you have been a great help!!!!!!!
May 26, 2011 10:20PM
Here's a picture:

Kinda washed out but... you can see the Pan trail west of Illiouette Fall there.
And I'm standing on dirt .. (the trail is visible a bit on the right side too)

I wouldn't lie to you.
wink

May 26, 2011 11:03PM
Thanks for the kind info Chick-on! I appreciate your picassa galleries as well. I'm still wavering between re-upping my flickr pro account and diving into picassa.

Anyway, after climbing with friends in the Valley and farting around the highlands, I'm excited to start doing some rim hikes this year before we see if we're up for some longer overnights in the backcountry. Alas, two of our favorite state parks might close(Coe and Portola Redwoods) so much of our summer commitments might need to be more focused on those.
May 27, 2011 07:04AM
You are welcome.

Yeah, I don't understand Coe at all. You can go in the entrances 24/7 and backpack... so I don't get why
you wouldn't be able to even if they don't have the money to keep them open. (they don't have the money to
have one someone go pick up the money?) (and lock the bathrooms if that is an issue) (those are recent)

Anywho. Went there twice this year. Once to Cold Coe Flat (Thomas Addition) and once a
traverse from Bell Station to Main Entrance via Upper San Antonio.
You may be interested in peeking at these if you haven't already:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/UpperSanAntonioCoe

I'll be impressed if you can figure out what crap I pulled. Some really great stuff few see.

I have a hard time not heading to the Sierra instead nowadays though.

Anyway, have fun

May 27, 2011 10:11AM
Ya had me lost until the Narrows, Mile Trail/Madrone Soda Springa up to HQ grinning smiley Except for backcountry weekend, we haven't been further East in the Southern portion than Kelly Lake or so. Still so much to explore, and we can get there in 45 min on a good day.

chick-on
Yeah, I don't understand Coe at all. You can go in the entrances 24/7 and backpack... so I don't get why
you wouldn't be able to even if they don't have the money to keep them open. (they don't have the money to
have one someone go pick up the money?) (and lock the bathrooms if that is an issue) (those are recent)

Dem iron rangers done unionized. They demanded sit-down breaks, free rustolium and footing massages! It's breaking the back of the state parks.
May 27, 2011 10:49AM
I didn't go thru The Narrows this time (wanted to mark off one portion of Mahoney Rd).
The pictures of the Creeks thru Narrow type geography are actually Red Creek and
Upper East Fork Coyote... off trail. Those were a couple of gems. Let's just say my shoes got wet..

Anyway, enjoy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login