Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How to beat the crowds at Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar How to beat the crowds at Yosemite
May 26, 2011 07:51PM
Want to avoid the crowds at California's most famous park? Not to worry. Beyond the packed shuttle buses and entrance gate traffic jams, there is another Yosemite — one just as wild, romantic and compelling as the one John Muir fought to protect. Some tips on to increase your chances of finding it, even during what could be a record year.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/05/how-to-beat-the-crowds-at-yosemite/172086/1
May 26, 2011 08:14PM
Delete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 03:42PM by rightstar76.
avatar Re: How to beat the crowds at Yosemite
May 26, 2011 08:32PM
The best way to beat the crowds in Yosemite this weekend is to go somewhere else. I recommend wine tasting in the Salinas Valley. Just remember - taste the wine, don't drink it. Save that for home.
May 26, 2011 11:01PM
Personally I'm a fan of wine tasting in Sonoma County. But beware of the cyclists. The person you piss off might just be me. smiling smiley
May 26, 2011 10:03PM
Mostly good information in the article, except for one blurb: "But, notes guidebook author and photographer James Kaiser, Yosemite is located in a remote, high altitude area free of light and air pollution..."

Ah, no. Sadly, Yosemite does suffer, at times significantly, from air pollution, and even to some degree, even light pollution, though not as much as in more urban areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 12:02AM by plawrence.
May 26, 2011 10:17PM
plawrence
Mostly good information in the article, expect for one blurb: "But, notes guidebook author and photographer James Kaiser, Yosemite is located in a remote, high altitude area free of light and air pollution..."

Ah, no. Sadly, Yosemite does suffer, at times significantly, from air pollution, and even to some degree, even light pollution, though not as much as in more urban areas.

The National Park Service does have a philosophy of reduced light pollution. If you try walking any lit parking lot in Yosemite NP at night, there are few lights and the ones that are there are intentionally set for low output. It gets to the point where it helps to carry a flashlight even to just get from your car to your room.

I don't know if Yosemite goes as far as some places. Bryce Canyon NP is well known for its nighttime guided walks, where one is encouraged to just let the eyes adjust to the lack of light. I recall some NPS nighttime programs recommend the use of red lights (I once bought a lens kit with a red filter for my Petzl headlamp) to get around. I don't know what the red light is supposed to do, but I'm guessing it has something to do with light pollution.
May 27, 2011 03:08AM
y_p_w
plawrence
Mostly good information in the article, expect for one blurb: "But, notes guidebook author and photographer James Kaiser, Yosemite is located in a remote, high altitude area free of light and air pollution..."

The National Park Service does have a philosophy of reduced light pollution. If you try walking any lit parking lot in Yosemite NP at night, there are few lights and the ones that are there are intentionally set for low output. It gets to the point where it helps to carry a flashlight even to just get from your car to your room.

I don't know if Yosemite goes as far as some places. Bryce Canyon NP is well known for its nighttime guided walks, where one is encouraged to just let the eyes adjust to the lack of light. I recall some NPS nighttime programs recommend the use of red lights (I once bought a lens kit with a red filter for my Petzl headlamp) to get around. I don't know what the red light is supposed to do, but I'm guessing it has something to do with light pollution.

From a quick websearch:

The short answer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(eye)

More detail:
http://www.bpastro.org/index.php?page=dark-adaptation-and-stargazing

More detail than you probably want to know:
http://webvision.med.utah.edu/book/part-viii-gabac-receptors/light-and-dark-adaptation/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 03:32AM by szalkowski.
May 26, 2011 10:31PM
It's all due to "The Turlock Effect"

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 27, 2011 11:27AM
chick-on

Oh God, not again. I think the Turlock Effect is a form (forum) of disease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 11:28AM by tomdisco.
May 27, 2011 12:55PM
tomdisco
chick-on

Are you saying we need to flush the Turlock?
May 28, 2011 07:51AM
eeek
tomdisco
chick-on

Are you saying we need to flush the Turlock?

No way. It's part of who we are. Bowing to his greatness
May 28, 2011 08:43AM
Every time I read the subject line my brain wants to add "with a stick."

Probably because around hour two sitting in traffic trying to get out of the valley, I actually consider that a viable option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login