All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Rockfall?!
May 28, 2011 01:36PM
A friend who's at YNP right now reported a rock fell off Half Dome yesterday (5/27). Probably near Mirror Lake. No other info yet.

Has someone additonal information?!
Re: Half Dome Rockfall?!
May 29, 2011 01:19PM
There was around 5:45 Friday. I was lucky enough to see it from out front of my cabin over at the stables. It closed the trail temporarily on the south side of Mirror Lake but reopened today.
May 29, 2011 03:47PM
highsierra1
There was around 5:45 Friday. I was lucky enough to see it from out front of my cabin over at the stables. It closed the trail temporarily on the south side of Mirror Lake but reopened today.

Is this possibly it, just below Half Dome (shot taken at 5:43PM):

May 29, 2011 03:51PM
And here's another view of Half Dome less than a minute later:

Can't really tell if the gray puff below Half Dome is dust from the rockfall or just a low hanging cloud. My guess it's the dust from the rockfall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 04:13PM by plawrence.
May 30, 2011 07:56AM
That's it!
May 30, 2011 06:08PM
It is a cloud at the top it was there on and off most of the day, the new scar is pretty low on the face and the dust cloud dissipated pretty quickly. I missed the actual fall by about 10 mins... A helicopter flew in and dropped off someone shortly after it happened. We were watching it all from lower pines.
May 30, 2011 06:17PM
That's why I think the lower gray puff (below Half Dome) was the dust from the rock fall. That gray puff cloud wasn't there shortly before these photos were taken, and it didn't linger on long afterwards.
May 30, 2011 09:00PM
The puff at the bottom of the face of Half Dome was on all 3 Yosemite web cams that look at Half Dome.
It was only there for 1 frame capture on the web cams, and they captured every 5 minutes.
It doesn't look like a cloud, it looks like a cloud of dust like from a rock fall.

I wonder how this will affect the "death slabs" approach to the face? ( anyone ever been up this? ) ( it's on my bucket list )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login