Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snow shoes to Taft or Sentinel

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snow shoes to Taft or Sentinel
May 29, 2011 08:52PM
Coming in for the week of June 6th. Are there possibly snow shoes available for rent or for Ranger guided hike during weekdays for hike to Sentinel Dome and/or Taft Point? If so, how difficult are snow shoes to learn and use? Have never used them, but am a moderately experience hiker - went to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls in December in some snow/ice a year and a half ago when I was 30 lbs heavier than now. Am I crazy to think of trying snow shoes?

Thanks for the help!
May 29, 2011 08:54PM
Snow shoes are easy to walk in for the most part. That being said, Badger Pass is closed and there are no ranger guided snow shoe hikes or snow shoe rentals any more this year. Download the current guide http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm for ranger led hikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 08:55PM by hotrod4x5.
avatar Re: Snow shoes to Taft or Sentinel
May 29, 2011 08:58PM
hotrod4x5
Snow shoes are easy to walk in for the most part.

The only problem I remember having when I first used snowshoes was remembering to keep my feet apart.
May 29, 2011 08:59PM
Thanks! Any chance of renting in Groveland?
May 29, 2011 10:15PM
MwrightTulsa

Have no idea about Groveland but, assuming that you are flying into the Bay Area, REI has stores in Berkeley, Fremont, and Concord in the Eastbay.
May 29, 2011 11:01PM
If coming up from the Bay Area or Stockton and Sacramento, Sierra Nevada Aventure Company in Sonora rents snowshoes. One can call them at (209) 532-5621 to see if they are still renting out snowshoes this late in the season. Sonora would be just a small detour for anyone taking Hwy 120 (from the west) into Yosemite.
May 30, 2011 05:35AM
MwrightTulsa

As people have already stated, yes you can rent in the Bay Area (any REI will hook you up). In groveland, yes there is a place to rent snowshoes. For the life of me, I can't remember their name, but it is on the right hand side of the road as you go into town after you pass "twice as nice" (the secondhand store). It's across from the big parking lot that has the small bank in it. It looks like a coffee shop on the outside, but its really a bit of a hippie hangout, and it does rent MSR Denalis.
May 30, 2011 05:48AM
EDIT:

I found the place in Groveland that rented gear:
Mountain Sage
4.5 star rating
24 reviews Rating Details

Categories: Nurseries & Gardening, Outdoor Gear, Coffee & Tea [Edit]
18653 Main St
Groveland, CA 95321
(209) 962-4686
www.mountainsage.info
May 30, 2011 06:55AM
Don't forget to have cables or chains in the trunk when you go.

People were being turned around yesterday because it was snowing.
May 30, 2011 07:06AM
oakroscoe
MwrightTulsa

In groveland, yes there is a place to rent snowshoes. For the life of me, I can't remember their name, but it is on the right hand side of the road as you go into town after you pass "twice as nice" (the secondhand store). It's across from the big parking lot that has the small bank in it. It looks like a coffee shop on the outside, but its really a bit of a hippie hangout, and it does rent MSR Denalis.

Off main topic but ... there is that one cafe (last cafe on the left side as you are about to exit Groveland towards Yosemite) has the best omelettes around ... nice folks too.
May 29, 2011 10:30PM
Renting might be possible at REI Fresno or Miller's Mountain Gear in Oakhurst, but Glacier Point Road will have to open (again) for you to get to Taft Point and back out in a day.

It was closed today....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 10:31PM by AlmostThere.
May 29, 2011 10:38PM
There is a ranger led walk up to Sentinel Dome. I don't know what time nor do I know how long the NPS will offer this, but it does exist.

Something good is happening because of all this snow!
May 30, 2011 07:28AM
WOW -Everyone has been incredibly helpful - THANKS! With the snow are these trails clearly marked? How safe would it be out at the rails at the Pt. and up on the dome itself?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login