Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: tut tut, looks like rain?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

tut tut, looks like rain?
June 01, 2011 03:33PM
noticed the weather has been really wet in/around the valley -- i thought that may-aug was supposed to be much dryer than the other 2/3 of the year? will be spending 6 days in the high country around the valley mid june. i'm at peace with the fact that i'll be muddling through the snow ... and mud, but i'm not too thrilled with the prospect of getting rained on.
avatar Re: tut tut, looks like rain?
June 01, 2011 03:36PM
At least it delays the start of the fire season, and that for one is a good thing...
June 01, 2011 03:38PM
plawrence
At least it delays the start of the fire season, and that for one is a good thing...

It also delays the Half Dome cables going up. Some may consider that a Good Thing™ as well. Grinning Devil
June 01, 2011 03:36PM
There has been nothing about the weather this year that could be labeled as normal.
June 01, 2011 04:20PM
I just looked out my office window and it was snowing so heavy I couldn't see across the road.
June 01, 2011 09:57PM
Louis
I just looked out my office window and it was snowing so heavy I couldn't see across the road.
Where????
June 01, 2011 09:58PM
hotrod4x5
Louis
Where????

He's at Tahoe.
June 02, 2011 07:51AM
eeek
hotrod4x5
Louis
Where????

He's at Tahoe.

It didn't stick on the road but covered the ground and the trees. Weather people are saying at least another week of this unsettled mode.
June 02, 2011 09:13AM
Louis
eeek
hotrod4x5
Louis
Where????

He's at Tahoe.

It didn't stick on the road but covered the ground and the trees. Weather people are saying at least another week of this unsettled mode.

But I-80 did have chain requirements last night.
June 01, 2011 04:57PM
Last year wasn't normal either. Another year like this, and I'm going move to Seattle and just be done with it. smiling smiley
June 01, 2011 09:26PM
My gallant offering in the recent and ever-imaginative thread: "When will Tioga Road open! Make a guess", looks seriously threatened day by day ...

Come July 2nd (my best shot at spin-the-wheel for opening); I'm probably gonna end up feeling like Harold Camping did the next day ...

" ... flabbergasted! ..." I believe was his comment to the press.

if any more rain/snow comes in ... I too will be equally full of flabber ..
June 01, 2011 09:33PM
Was it revealed that part of the prize is a slab o bacon?

In all seriousness... some snow around Memorial Day is not unheard of.
Yeah, we got a lot of snow. But take a look around the U.S. of A.
We Californians don't have it all that bad in the weather front.
By mid June it'll all be over...

At least you don't have this to deal with:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36669,36780#msg-36780

(and it was looking like weather was gonna be nice for him last week)

Looks like it's gonna be an epic wedding...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 01, 2011 09:35PM
chick-on

Don't count on that. winking smiley
June 01, 2011 09:39PM
eeek
chick-on

Don't count on that. winking smiley

You should know by now I kinda don't care so much if it snows or not.
Will it matter so much anyway?
Even when they open the road it's gonna be just like last year... loads o snow for another month...
Was surprised they opened the HSCs last year.
Will REALLY be surprised if they do this year...

Just epic snow

June 01, 2011 09:42PM
chick-on
You should know by now I kinda don't care so much if it snows or not.

Yeah, I've noticed that.

Was surprised they opened the HSCs last year.
Will REALLY be surprised if they do this year...

I wonder if Bearpaw will open this year. I'm supposed to go the last week of July.

Just epic snow

How epic!
June 02, 2011 07:07AM
eeek
I wonder if Bearpaw will open this year. I'm supposed to go the last week of July.

I would think it would be open by then even with the monster snow we have.

Def. not an expert about SEKI having been there only and handful of times...
but my reasoning is:
a) The Sierra High Trail is not super high to start out. All the way to Bearpaw is well below 8000ft.
b) The trail is all south facing so the snow won't linger as long
c) I'm usually right
d) If I'm not I blame the weather

Few have ever posted anything here about SEKI so ...

June 02, 2011 08:12AM
chick-on

I think the reason is that this site is called: yosemitenews.info, not sekinews.info or sequoiakingscanyonnews.info, etc., etc.

smiling smiley

BTW, there's a Sequoia-Kings Canyon Hikers group on Yahoo. The message board isn't nearly as active as this one, then again, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks aren't as busy and crowded as Yosemite either.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sequoiakingscanyonhikers
June 02, 2011 08:31AM
plawrence
chick-on

I think the reason is that this site is called: yosemitenews.info, not sekinews.info or sequoiakingscanyonnews.info, etc., etc.

smiling smiley

BTW, there's a Sequoia-Kings Canyon Hikers group on Yahoo. The message board isn't nearly as active as this one, then again, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks aren't as busy and crowded as Yosemite either.

I hate the groups on Yahoo. Subscribed to the Yosemite one on a different email account. It blows IMO.

As far as crowded... It's all about when and where exactly you go.
Gone to Kings on the edge seasons and still have seen people too close to me,
too many times pissed at myself for not stopping earlier at unnamed lakes.
And Whitney.... you can keep that cluster... although didn't camp at Guitar and that ended up being brilliant

Anyway, I mainly hang around to cause trouble since I know everything.
(prolly go find that darn stretch of Old Wawona on Sat.)
(in other words... don't take everything I say seriously)

Have fun

June 02, 2011 08:43AM
chick-on
plawrence
chick-on

smiling smiley

I hate the groups on Yahoo. Subscribed to the Yosemite one on a different email account. It blows IMO.

I have subscribed to a few. Don't mind the interface too much, and some of the groups do get good content from its members.

chick-on
As far as crowded... It's all about when and where exactly you go.

Agreed.

chick-on
And Whitney.... you can keep that cluster... although didn't camp at Guitar and that ended up being brilliant

Whitney -- the Half Dome of Sequoia.

chick-on
Anyway, I mainly hang around to cause trouble since I know everything.
(prolly go find that darn stretch of Old Wawona on Sat.)
(in other words... don't take everything I say seriously)

Don't worry - I don't. (I guess you didn't noticed the smiling smiley on my post.)
June 02, 2011 08:26AM
It was, for a while. Wondering if the drought is over.

Snow again this weekend - yay.
June 02, 2011 12:29PM
Has anybody else noticed that the weather forecast on the official park site always predicts temps at Yos. to be about 8 degrees lower than the weather channel site? who to trust in these turbulent times?
June 02, 2011 12:33PM
hegel
Has anybody else noticed that the weather forecast on the official park site always predicts temps at Yos. to be about 8 degrees lower than the weather channel site? who to trust in these turbulent times?

No, I hadn't noticed that. Probably because our local cable system dropped the Weather Channel.
June 02, 2011 12:54PM
Sorry, I meant the on-line Weather channel site.
June 06, 2011 04:58PM
hegel

Actually, I've found it to be the opposite. But before you get too worked up about it, see if you can figure out what weather station is being reported for the current conditions, and where the forecast is being extrapolated from and to.

For example, Wunderground.com, which has some of the best ski weather forecasts, uses the weather station at Yosemite West. That's thousands of feet above the valley floor, near the turnoff to Glacier Point. As I write this, it's reporting the temperature at "Yosemite National Park" to be 44 degrees. However, their location map wrongly shows the forecast site to be at Yosemite Village. Someone just put in the coordinates of the zip code, probably.

Weather.com, the weather channel site, claims the temperature is 56 degrees at "Yosemite National Park". This is listed as one of their TruPoint exact locations. But they also list Badger Pass Ski Area as a Trupoint exact location, and it shows exactly the same temperature. You know this can't be true. They are using measurements from somewhere, and guessing that Badger Pass is the same because it is only a few miles away! Based on the temperature shown, it probably is based on the Yosemite Village data....

The Yahoo weather report seems to be using the US weather service data, but is reporting coditions about an hour out of date.

The link from the Yosemite Park conditions page may be the best.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.7400&lon=-119.6000&TextType=0
It has the flaw that it reports conditions down in Merced in the "current conditions" box. At least they tell you what it is. But this web page shows a point forecast. You can move the point around on the map, to get the forecast at different elevations. I suspect that it reports from a three dimensional model that incorporates data based on the Yosemite Valley data (and many others), but the whole model is anchored at the air force base in Merced. Try it. If I move the pointer to Yosemite West, I get a late afternoon temperature prediction close to what Wunderground is actually reporting. At Glacier Point, it's a bit warmer. At 10,000 feet, it's already close to freezing. And so forth. What you can't see, for some reason, is the actual current temp reported at Yosemite Village. I'm sure that someone on this forum knows the exact link for that.
June 06, 2011 05:08PM
wherever
What you can't see, for some reason, is the actual current temp reported at Yosemite Village. I'm sure that someone on this forum knows the exact link for that.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/staMeta?station_id=YYV
June 06, 2011 05:11PM
I always use intellicast:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA9249
It gives a good idea of what is coming. It's the only weather site I usually use when deciding what to bring
or if should slide trip days to or fro or just stay home...

For the current temp you can also look at the Ahwanee webcam (link to webcams is below on this website):
http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/Original/Large/ahwahnee_large.jpg

On a related note... the snow from last night present on the trees close to Sentinel Cam has already melted...

June 06, 2011 05:32PM
chick-on
It gives a good idea of what is coming. It's the only weather site I usually use when deciding what to bring

Is intellicast the one where 30% ≡ 100%?
Note: for Chick-ons and the non-mathematically minded, the symbol "≡" means "is identical to".
(CloseEnoughly Yours)
The Marmots

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
June 06, 2011 08:47PM
szalkowski
chick-on

Is intellicast the one where 30% ≡ 100%?
Note: for Chick-ons and the non-mathematically minded, the symbol "≡" means "is identical to".
(CloseEnoughly Yours)
The Marmots

You are correct.

But I also use the Super Chick-on Compooper to calculate the final probability.
If the final answer is <= 110% then we go. Everyone knows you can't give
more than 110%. Mother nature included.

(Mathematically Yours)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login