Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: No Weekend Opening For Passes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar No Weekend Opening For Passes
June 03, 2011 05:12PM
Sonora, CA-- Due to another wet weekend, two area mountain passes will remain closed.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1303970/No-Weekend-Opening-For-Passes.html
avatar Re: No Weekend Opening For Passes
June 03, 2011 05:17PM
I had to pull out my sweaters and wool socks. I refuse to turn the heater on again, though. So, I just sit here, cold.
June 03, 2011 05:44PM
itchbay
I had to pull out my sweaters and wool socks. I refuse to turn the heater on again, though. So, I just sit here, cold.

Make some tea.
June 03, 2011 06:17PM
*sigh*. So I suppose pouting and stomping my feet like a bratty 5 year old isn't gonna work...

I hate the in-between season. I hate it even more when it's drawn out like this year. Either snow or summer, stop teasing us, pick one!
June 03, 2011 06:23PM
I'm pouting b/c was gonna drive up for the day if 50% chance o precip or less.

Cry baby

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 03, 2011 06:29PM
I'm still heading out monday afternoon, its been too long!
June 03, 2011 06:39PM
calipidder
*sigh*. So I suppose pouting and stomping my feet like a bratty 5 year old isn't gonna work...

Does it ever?

I hate the in-between season. I hate it even more when it's drawn out like this year. Either snow or summer, stop teasing us, pick one!

I'd be happier with it if the road was open. Wasn't thrilled with the horizontal snow coming in the window while I was trying to take pictures at Tioga last Saturday.
June 03, 2011 06:49PM
eeek
calipidder

Does it ever?
When I tried it last weekend I was offered helpful advice about checking for the open/closed sign at the 395/108 turnoff on my way back from Mammoth.

On the other hand, the pass did open for me on Monday, when I needed it.
June 03, 2011 07:55PM
ttilley
eeek
calipidder

Does it ever?
When I tried it last weekend I was offered helpful advice about checking for the open/closed sign at the 395/108 turnoff on my way back from Mammoth.

On the other hand, the pass did open for me on Monday, when I needed it.

That was me that put the suggestion about checking the sign. It might not have seemed very helpful but with the conditions it seemed likely it might still be closed when you left Mammoth. When I noticed it had re-opened I wondered if you had already passed the road by then. Glad you got to take the shorter route.
June 03, 2011 08:10PM
I know, I was joking...sometimes that really is the best answer to the question. And even that doesn't ensure one won't be on the pass in conditions where it should be closed. They seem to be _pre-emptively_ closing the pass, judging by what I've seen here. I mentioned having crossed with solid snow cover (on the road) and white knuckles (on my steering wheel)...the most recent occasion was unforecasted wrap-around moisture from a already-passed mid-October storm.
June 03, 2011 08:38PM
ttilley
I know, I was joking...sometimes that really is the best answer to the question. And even that doesn't ensure one won't be on the pass in conditions where it should be closed. They seem to be _pre-emptively_ closing the pass, judging by what I've seen here. I mentioned having crossed with solid snow cover (on the road) and white knuckles (on my steering wheel)...the most recent occasion was unforecasted wrap-around moisture from a already-passed mid-October storm.

In the last few years I've gotten caught on both Monitor and Ebbetts. In both cases it got really bad really quick.
June 03, 2011 11:34PM
ttilley
I know, I was joking...sometimes that really is the best answer to the question. And even that doesn't ensure one won't be on the pass in conditions where it should be closed. They seem to be _pre-emptively_ closing the pass, judging by what I've seen here.

Generally speaking (there are exceptions), Caltrans or the CHP will opt to close a highway before it gets to R3 chain restrictions. Caltrans usually only lets the road degrade to R2 before deciding to close the road. OTOH, the Park Service has no qualms in leaving a road open with R3 chain restrictions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login