All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Cloud's Rest day hike from....?
June 05, 2011 09:08AM
I would like to take a day hike to Cloud's Rest in August if that is even possible. I could hike out and back from Tuolumne, Vogelsang, or Merced Lake. Wondering if it is do-able from any of those camp locations, and if so, more importantly which route is best (and why you think so.) I could also start/finish along Tioga Pass Road via shuttle bus from Tuolumne. I have heard so much about CR from others and my uncle I would like to try and get there as a day hike during my HSC trip this year. Good idea? Bad idea? Possible?
Re: Cloud's Rest day hike from....?
June 05, 2011 09:51AM
Of course it's possible from any of those locations. But if you are not a backpacker and rarely dayhike more than 10 miles in a day, I'd suggest riding the shuttle to Sunrise and doing the 14 mile round trip, or going up from Merced Lake.
avatar Re: Cloud's Rest day hike from....?
June 05, 2011 09:54AM
Paris92
I would like to take a day hike to Cloud's Rest in August.... I could also start/finish along Tioga Pass Road via shuttle bus from Tuolumne.

Do it via the easy (std. dayhike) route: take the Tuolumne shuttle to the Sunrise Lakes trailhead (W end of Tenaya Lake) and go from there.
Re: Cloud's Rest day hike from....?
June 08, 2011 06:22PM
szalkowski
Paris92
I would like to take a day hike to Cloud's Rest in August.... I could also start/finish along Tioga Pass Road via shuttle bus from Tuolumne.

Do it via the easy (std. dayhike) route: take the Tuolumne shuttle to the Sunrise Lakes trailhead (W end of Tenaya Lake) and go from there.
this would be my suggestion as well, ive done it from the valley floor it was kind of rough.
June 05, 2011 10:13AM
Getting to Clouds will definitely be possible in August.
Not so sure about the High Sierra Camps though.

You only doing 3 of them? TUOLUMNE HSC, Voglensang HSC, and Merced HSC?
If you were doing the entire loop you could bop up to Clouds from 1st Sunrise Lake
(before heading to May Lake HSC)

From Sunrise TH is the easiest way though. Merced Lake and back is 17+ miles.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 05, 2011 11:46AM
I will be at Tuolumne, Vogelsang, and Merced Lake for two nights each. We are only spending one night at Sunrise, thus I was trying to fit the out and back to CR from one of the camps I will be at for two nights. Perhaps it is best as a solo hike at some other time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 11:47AM by Paris92.
June 05, 2011 02:28PM
So you are doing the entire loop?????

If so then re-read what I wrote. wink

June 05, 2011 02:28PM
(it would be 15 miles from Sunrise HSC to May Lake HSC with jaunt up Clouds)

June 05, 2011 09:43PM
Nope. Only hitting those four camps this year. Starting at Tuolumne - Vogelsang - Merced - Sunrise - hike out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 09:44PM by Paris92.
June 06, 2011 07:35AM
Usually what happens (and I do it too) is that people look at the map
and underestimate entirely what they are capable of.
You'll know after getting to Merced Lake what you are capable of.
You said intermediate so prob. 15 miles out there is too much.
But only you know or will soon find out.

Pretty much you have these options:
a - dayhike from Sunrise TH (12 miles)
b - on way to Sunrise HSC go up via Clouds Rest (16 miles)
c - on way out of Sunrise HSC go past Sunrise Lakes, up Clouds and back down to Sunrise TH (12 miles)
d - on way out of Sunrise HSC go past Sunrise Lakes, up Clouds and down to Yose Valley (15 miles)

I would go d. It's almost entirely downhill after Clouds.
No matter which way you go... you will miss something.

Have fun

June 06, 2011 08:58AM
I agree. Bill-e-g's option (d) would be the best for you if you get going immediately after that big breakfast. Not sure how much time you have available that last day out.

Don't get too fat at the HSC's. They serve rather substantial meals. I had the meals only plan at Merced Lake last year, which has the reputation of having the best cook of the HSC's according to some of the guests I talked to.
June 07, 2011 10:14PM
Thanks for the info and route suggestions. We have done the " glamping" thing at the HSC the last past two years, so well aware of the food they provide, etc...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login