Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camp 4 in late June - am I in trouble??

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camp 4 in late June - am I in trouble??
June 06, 2011 02:32PM
I'm planning a trip to Yosemite, arriving early on Thursday, June 23. This will be my fifth summer trip to Yosemite. On all previous occasions, I've been able to get a spot at Camp 4 when arriving on a Thursday morning, including a couple of years ago with a group of 12 (mid-August).

I'm worried about my chances this time, though. It will be a group of 8 adults and we're planning to arrive by 6 a.m. on Thursday morning. Do you think we'll have a fairly good chance at getting spots?

I guess I'm worried because it looks likely that all of the other first-come first-served campgrounds may still be closed on June 23 because of the weather (except for Camp 4, of course).

Are my plans doomed??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 04:11PM by buenovi.
avatar Re: Camp 4 in late June - am I in trouble??
June 06, 2011 04:02PM
buenovi
I'm planning a trip to Yosemite, arriving early on Thursday, June 23. This will be my fifth summer trip to Yosemite. On all previous occasions, I've been able to get a spot at Camp 4 when arriving on a Thursday morning, including a couple of years ago with a group of 12 (mid-August).

I'm worried about my chances this time, though. It will be a group of 8 adults and we're planning to arrive by 6 a.m. on Thursday morning. Do you think we'll have a fairly good chance at getting spots?

I guess I'm worried because it looks likely that all of the first-come first-served campgrounds may still be closed on June 23 because of the weather.

Are my plans doomed??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

ALL first-come, first-served campgrounds closed? Camp 4 will be open.

If you meant all the other ones, a good possibility that they might still be closed.

But there will be first-come first-serve campsite still probably available outside of the park in the nearby National Forests, and also dispersed camping in the National Forests too.

So I won't say that your plans are doomed, but there might be a bit more juggling of plans involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 04:44PM by plawrence.
Re: Camp 4 in late June - am I in trouble??
June 06, 2011 04:13PM
Yes, I meant to say all of the other first-come, first-served sites other than Camp 4. Thanks for the National Forests suggestion.
June 06, 2011 04:58PM
Also, since you're arriving early on a Thursday, you might be able to land one of the first-come, first-served campsites located in the BLM's Merced River Recreation Area downriver on the Merced from Yosemite, just off Hwy 140 at Briceburg.

The Merced River Recreation Area has three small first-come first-served campgrounds next to the Merced River (McCabe Flat, Willow Placer, and the Railroad Flat). You're allowed 8 people and 2 vehicles per campsite.

BLM Merced River Recreation Area Info page (including Campgrounds information)
June 06, 2011 05:04PM
plawrence
Also, since you're arriving early on a Thursday, you might be able to land one of the first-come, first-served campsites located in the BLM's Merced River Recreation Area downriver on the Merced from Yosemite, just off Hwy 140 at Briceburg.

The Merced River Recreation Area has three small first-come first-served campgrounds next to the Merced River (McCabe Flat, Willow Placer, and the Railroad Flat). You're allowed 8 people and 2 vehicles per campsite.

BLM Merced River Recreation Area Info page (including Campgrounds information)

Here's the road:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dscn4306.jpg.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login