Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Flash Flood Watch

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Flood Watch
June 08, 2011 07:54PM
Well, we knew it was coming...Flood watch starting Friday night until ??? Check your favorite weather web sites for Yosemite and the info will be there. ( Edit: Ooops, took the "flash" out of the title, my mistake)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2011 08:04AM by mtn man.
June 08, 2011 08:01PM
Flood watch
National weather service san joaquin valley - hanford ca
754 pm pdt wed jun 8 2011

...Flooding of rivers and streams in the southern sierra nevada
Is possible beginning this weekend...

.Warming temperatures over the next week or so will bring
Increasing snowmelt in the higher elevations of the southern
Sierra nevada. The snowpack remains quite deep for early
June...And this will cause significant rises on rivers and
Streams.

Highest flows of the spring snowmelt season are expected above all
Major reservoirs.

The very cold water this time of year can be quite dangerous when
Running fast and deep. If you are caught in the water for any
Length of time unprotected...Hypothermia is a deadly possibility.

This flood watch will remain in effect until cancelled.

Caz093-094-096-097-091900-
/o.Can.Khnx.Ff.A.0001.110611t0700z-110613t0100z/
/o.New.Khnx.Fa.A.0003.110611t0700z-110613t0100z/
/00000.0.Sm.000000t0000z.000000t0000z.000000t0000z.Oo/
Mariposa madera and fresno county foothills-
Tulare county foothills-
Sierra nevada from yosemite to kings canyon-
Tulare county mountains-
754 pm pdt wed jun 8 2011

...Flood watch in effect from late friday night until further
Notice...

The national weather service in hanford has issued a

* flood watch for portions of central california...Including the
Following areas...
The southern sierra nevada above reservoirs...From yosemite park
South to the kern county line.

* from late friday night into next week.

* potential flooding of rivers and streams would include the
Merced river in yosemite park...The san joaquin river above
Millerton...The kings river above pine flat...And the kaweah
River above terminus dam including three rivers.

* increasing snowmelt will occur as temperatures warm over the
Next several days...With even warmer weather expected for the
First half of next week.

* impacts include potential flooding of hiking trails...
Campgrounds...And smaller back roads. Rivers and streams for
Boaters and rafters will become increasingly hazardous...As the
Fast flowing...And very cold waters continue to rise.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A flood watch means that conditions may develop that lead to
Flooding. Flooding is a very dangerous situation. You should
Monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should
Flood warnings be issued.

Remember...That highest river flows generally occur during the
Late evening and early morning hours...Usually within and hour or
Two of midnight. A campground or trail may be dry and appear quite
Safe during the afternoon...But can quickly take on water at
Night.

$$

Bingham

Weather.Gov/hanford
June 08, 2011 08:45PM
I'll take some photos Friday morning...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 09, 2011 02:24PM
Ok, I really would like to see the valley flooded and photograph it. Assuming I can find a place to stay, am I crazy? Thinking about going sometime next week.
June 09, 2011 03:11PM
hotrod4x5
Ok, I really would like to see the valley flooded and photograph it. Assuming I can find a place to stay, am I crazy? Thinking about going sometime next week.

Well, I'd rather not see the Valley flooded but if it is, and you go, could you grab some shots of #60 in Lower Pines and give me the date and time you took the shot? I can compare that with the river guage for that day and then look at the forecasted river guage for the days I'll be there (week of 6/20) and get an idea of whether or not I'm going to be able to stay in that campsite. Thanks ahead of time.
June 10, 2011 06:12PM
Got a site in Upper for Tues, hoping to get Weds before we have to leave. If I have two nights, I'll try and get your photo, if only one, might not have time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2011 06:13PM by hotrod4x5.
June 10, 2011 07:23PM
hotrod4x5
Got a site in Upper for Tues, hoping to get Weds before we have to leave. If I have two nights, I'll try and get your photo, if only one, might not have time.

Thanks, appreciate it.
June 10, 2011 11:40PM
ok so im backpacking next week and were possibly taking either yosemite falls or snow creek then heading to tenaya lake.

My question is how to cross tenaya lake without actually crossing through the water? or if so is the inlet shallower? we would like to cross over and head to sunrise lakes then down to clouds rest then exit happy isles in the valley.

Comments , suggestions?
June 10, 2011 11:56PM
I think this thread might be of interest to you.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,37948
Re: Flood Watch
June 17, 2011 11:16PM
Got a shot of Site 60, will post tomorrow. But it wasn't flooded at all, this was Weds around Noon. 63 was flooded.
June 18, 2011 01:08PM
hotrod4x5
Got a shot of Site 60, will post tomorrow. But it wasn't flooded at all, this was Weds around Noon. 63 was flooded.

Thanks for the first hand info. This coming week is going to be even warmer so I'm still a little concerned with our site but I think we'll be OK. Looking forward to your pics. The river while you were there didn't come up quite as high as predicted. I'm hoping that's the same this coming week. But temps are going to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer than this last week.

Tom
June 18, 2011 05:02PM
mtn man
hotrod4x5

Thanks for the first hand info. This coming week is going to be even warmer so I'm still a little concerned with our site but I think we'll be OK. Looking forward to your pics. The river while you were there didn't come up quite as high as predicted. I'm hoping that's the same this coming week. But temps are going to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer than this last week.

Tom

Keep your eye on the flow gauge graph at Happy Isle. The flow has been decreasing the last couple of days.

Old Dude
June 18, 2011 09:18PM
mtn man
hotrod4x5

Tom
Pics were on my phone and somehow I have deleted everything! I deleted one today, ONE, but they all went bye bye. I am really upset because most of it was HD videos, I still have my real camera pics, but snapshots like the site, for example, are lost. I am hoping to use recovery software to get them back, so keep your fingers crossed for me.
June 19, 2011 03:44AM
hotrod4x5
Pics were on my phone and somehow I have deleted everything! I deleted one today, ONE, but they all went bye bye. I am really upset because most of it was HD videos, I still have my real camera pics, but snapshots like the site, for example, are lost. I am hoping to use recovery software to get them back, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

The photo recovery software should work well as long as you did not take any additional photos after the other photos (and video) had disappeared.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login