All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Pohono next week
June 14, 2011 10:58PM
So, I think it's time to admit defeat by the heavy winter snow and give up my plans for Tenaya Lake--> Clouds Rest--> Sunrise Creek next week. A day hike last evening (I'm here early for a conference first) inspired me to consider the Tunnel View area trailhead to the Pohono Trail--> Glacier Point--> Panorama Trail--> Sunrise Creek. I talked to a couple of rangers at the Wilderness office today and while one seemed to think it was a great alternative plan, another was very cautious, warning about "unknown" snow conditions on the Pohono Trail (could be "6 inches or 6 feet"winking smiley from Dewey Point to Glacier Point. Another person I talked to said that Glacier Point to Taft Point/ Sentinel Dome area only had snow patches as of yesterday (this is on my agenda for tomorrow so I'll see myself), so really it's Dewey Point to Taft Point that's an unknown. Can anyone that's been out there recently offer some insight? Chick-on, I looked at your Picasa photos from Pohono at least 3 weeks ago, which makes me think that at a minimum, there's going to be some footprints out there to give some direction if the trail is still totally covered. How deep was the snow then?

Thanks for any help. Happy to post a trip report of whatever we end up doing.
June 15, 2011 07:13AM
I didn't see anyone on that trip until Illiouette bridge.

With Tioga being closed there will probably be a lot of people flopping around out there.

Once we hit the "real" trail to Ostrander last Friday there were footy prints... so
probably Pohono will have foot prints. I never rely on such things myself though...
(actually prefer to see no one).
We didn't stick around Ostrander so we didn't see any sign of people until Illiouette crossing.

Pohono. It's a lot more up down than people think and it's angled to the south and
highly forested... so it holds snow. How much? Well... my guess from Dewey to
Bridalveil will have the most snow and is the most difficult to navigate/stay on the trail.
From Bridalveil to Taft shouldn't be much issue since is so up and you keep a
creeklet on your left and then just head due east and you'll run into people and
Taft area eventually...

Give it a go. I'll bet you have company
btw... there was NO snow on the start to Ostrander from Mono Mdw Th.
Didn't hit snow until 7600 (nearly 2 miles in)
Pix, etc. here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,38691

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Pohono next week
June 15, 2011 08:23AM
Thanks alot. We'll have map/ compass, but footprints just give me some confidence. But like cairns I've followed to nowhere, I know footprints won't always lead to the right place. winking smiley
I appreciate the advice. What do you mean by the "real" trail to Ostrander?
June 15, 2011 09:17AM
Sorry about the quotes. I mean the trail to Ostrander.
We did a loop from Mono Meadow Trailhead.
Look here again at the last picture for the route we did:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/OstHartEdson

As you drive to Glacier Pt. you're going to go "there's not that much snow".
I'd be prepared for a couple feet of snow from Dewey to Bridalveil though.
At least have that mindset so you aren't frustrated.... and are happy if
there is a lot less... (it's hot right now... so it's melting as you read this).

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 16, 2011 12:09AM
chick-on
Sorry about the quotes. I mean the trail to Ostrander.
We did a loop from Mono Meadow Trailhead.
Look here again at the last picture for the route we did:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/OstHartEdson

As you drive to Glacier Pt. you're going to go "there's not that much snow".
I'd be prepared for a couple feet of snow from Dewey to Bridalveil though.
At least have that mindset so you aren't frustrated.... and are happy if
there is a lot less... (it's hot right now... so it's melting as you read this).

We won't be driving to Glacier Point-- the plan is to start from Wawona Tunnel and head east on Pohono. We are going for it, prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. This kind of hiking is just outside of my comfort zone, but it always will be unless I go for it, right?

That circuit hike looks amazing. I talked to a fellow hiker today at Chilnualna Falls that saw some guys on their way out after attempting to reach Glacier Point and having to turn around due to high snow and creeks. Looking at a map, I imagine they were headed through the area you just hiked.
June 17, 2011 07:23PM
Right now, I think that below 8,500' one should be more concerned about crossing creeks raging with snowmelt than hiking though what remains of the snow. Creek crossings will be the biggest issue right now.
June 16, 2011 03:56PM
A buddy and I just finished that section of the trail on Tuesday. We started from Wawona Tunnel and spent the first night at Stanford Pt. The second day, we were almost 100% snow trekking inside the forest. Once out on the points, everything was clear and beautiful. I'd say at least 80% under snow...Several drifts over 10'...not too many footprints out there. You should still be able to see ours. Be careful for full body length drop-throughs. I managed to stab my big toe on one drop over a small creek. We kept thinking "light and fast" when we were crossing over those areas. Crossed a dozen or more throughout the day. Should only be getting worse I'd imagine.

We left Stanford around 9:30A and made it to GP at 5:30P (just missed the hot dogs) and on down to Illiliouette Creek basin by 7 or so...The following day was perfect (Illilouette - Panorama - Falls and down JMT to Happy Isles) . Smooth trails, great weather...We had Taft to ourselves and it was absolutely incredible....may go down as THE best view in the valley. better than both Clouds and Half Dome.

Bring extra socks and try to dry out your boots early. They will be cold and wet the whole day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 03:57PM by JohnStream.
June 16, 2011 05:23PM
I might have seen your lights on Stanford Point, if you were up there Sunday night. I was on El Cap.
June 16, 2011 06:17PM
QITNL
I might have seen your lights on Stanford Point, if you were up there Sunday night. I was on El Cap.

It's fun to fire your flash from Quarter Domes at night towards the people stopping on Olmstead Point. You can imagine them ion the parking lot going "WTH?".

Old Dude
June 17, 2011 10:17AM
That was us. We saw several parties on El Cap that night. There was also a fire going up top. What was the deal with the heli's landing up there? Is that normal or did someone have to get rescued?

Awesome.
June 17, 2011 06:02PM
JohnStream
That was us. We saw several parties on El Cap that night. There was also a fire going up top. What was the deal with the heli's landing up there? Is that normal or did someone have to get rescued?

Awesome.
Bill-e-g, his Boss, and I were up atop El Cap a few years ago eating dinner when the copter that had been flying around landed a bit to the north of us. A fully suited passenger got out and headed towards us and as he got nearer he took his helmet off and it turned out to be the ranger we knew. They were looking for a hiker that had been reported disabled with a compound fracture of the ulna or radius. Don't know if they found him.

I think El Cap is one of the few places on the north side that has room to land. Devil's Dance Floor would allow landing also.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 06:03PM by mrcondron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login