All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 15, 2011 09:44AM
http://www.homeofyosemite.com/index.php/component/blog/comments?pid=123

Tioga Road to Open in Yosemite National Park

Visitors urged to take safety precautions while traveling on road

Yosemite National Park Superintendent Don Neubacher announced today that the Tioga Road will open for the season on Saturday, June 18, 2011, at 8:00 a.m. for all vehicle traffic. The Tioga Road, bounded on both sides by State Highway 120, is the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada. Vault toilets are available in several locations along the road.

There are several no-stopping zones along the road, which are clearly marked with road signs.

Due to the heavy snowpack this past winter (199% of normal) and a cool spring, there is still several feet of snow in the Tuolumne Meadows area. Hiking opportunities are extremely limited and visitors are urged to use extreme caution in the area. Additionally, ice is prevalent throughout the area and stream crossings are treacherous.

All campgrounds along the Tioga Road are closed. All commercial services, including the gas station, store, and village grill, are also closed. There are no anticipated opening dates for any of these facilities at this time.
avatar Re: Tioga Road to Open 6/18
June 15, 2011 09:53AM
Earlier than I expected.
Re: Tioga Road to Open 6/18
June 15, 2011 01:16PM
Good news. So now that I can get to Tuolumne Meadows on Thursday the 23rd, do I still try GCT? :-)
June 15, 2011 01:26PM
Step 1 for me would be to make sure they will issue permits.

(I say this b/c one year when we wanted to go from Tioga Rd. when it just opened... they weren't
letting anyone park overnight and not issuing permits... had to go to Hetch Hethcy instead... )

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 15, 2011 01:30PM
I'll be there, at the gate, at 0800 hours, this Saturday.

Wonder if the Tioga Pass Resort and their lovely food will be open.
June 15, 2011 06:08PM
tanngrisnir3

Might be a good idea to stop at the Mo-bile station and pick up some munchies before you start up.
June 16, 2011 06:46AM
Louis
tanngrisnir3

Might be a good idea to stop at the Mo-bile station and pick up some munchies before you start up.

After having driven by the Whoa Nellie for years, we have resolved to stop and eat there this time for the first time.

Hope they're as good as we've heard.
June 16, 2011 10:40AM
tanngrisnir3
Louis
tanngrisnir3

After having driven by the Whoa Nellie for years, we have resolved to stop and eat there this time for the first time.

Hope they're as good as we've heard.

You won't be disappointed. smiling smiley
June 16, 2011 05:00PM
If you order a dinner be prepared for a tremendous amount of food. The only time I ate there I had the steak ceasar salad. It was very good but enough to feed two people. Also, try their Mango Magarita if you are into that sort of thing.
June 19, 2011 11:02AM
Just ate there for the first time last week. Mango margaritas were awesome and the jambalaya was the best I have had since moving from the south.
June 15, 2011 02:26PM
The press release says no store, gas, or food.
June 15, 2011 02:29PM
From eeek... if you haven't seen it b4:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,37215

avatar Tioga Road to Open in Yosemite National Park
June 15, 2011 03:12PM
Tioga Road to Open in Yosemite National Park; Visitors urged to take safety precautions while traveling on road - news release

Yosemite National Park Superintendent Don Neubacher announced today that the Tioga Road will open for the season on Saturday, June 18, 2011, at 8:00 a.m. for all vehicle traffic. The Tioga Road, bounded on both sides by State Highway 120, is the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada. Vault toilets are available in several locations along the road. There are several no-stopping zones along the road, which are clearly marked with road signs. Due to the heavy snowpack this past winter (199% of normal) and a cool spring, there is still several feet of snow in the Tuolumne Meadows area. Hiking opportunities are extremely limited and visitors are urged to use extreme caution in the area. Additionally, ice is prevalent throughout the area and stream crossings are treacherous. All campgrounds along the Tioga Road are closed. All commercial services, including the gas station, store, and village grill, are also closed. There are no anticipated opening dates for any of these facilities at this time.
June 16, 2011 05:02PM
Whoa Nellie Deli is really good and we eat there every time we are in that area.
June 16, 2011 06:12PM
parklover
Whoa Nellie Deli is really good and we eat there every time we are in that area.

And where is this Whoa Nelly place?? Is it an Eastside thing??

Old Dude
June 16, 2011 07:40PM
It's an eatery/diner/deli/food place that's inside the store at the Mobil gas station at the junction of 120 and 395. This is near Lee Vining and Mono Lake.

Wiki: Whoa Nellie Deli
June 18, 2011 09:43PM
SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
June 18, 2011 10:14PM
If you are a fan of fancy food, then the Whoa Neli Deli is great. I am not. Give me a burger, with cheese and ketchup. Or a pizza with pepperoni and cheese. Their menu is more gourmet than staple. Too much so for my taste.
June 18, 2011 10:49PM
hotrod4x5
If you are a fan of fancy food, then the Whoa Neli Deli is great. I am not. Give me a burger, with cheese and ketchup. Or a pizza with pepperoni and cheese. Their menu is more gourmet than staple. Too much so for my taste.

I would not call the Whoa Neli Deli "fancy". It may be by Lee Vining standards, but not by any real measure. The food is decent, but I have always found it a bit greasy (at least the breakfast). Nicely's further into Lee Vining also serves fairly basic, staple food adequately prepared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 10:49PM by LVRAY.
June 18, 2011 10:32PM
For those of us stuck in armchairs, this thread is useless without
June 18, 2011 10:50PM
QITNL
For those of us stuck in armchairs, this thread is useless without

They have a website and extensive Yelp reviews with pictures.

http://whoanelliedeli.com

http://www.yelp.com/biz/whoa-nellie-deli-lee-vining

June 18, 2011 11:43PM
Buffalo Meatloaf, Lobster Taquitos, Cajun Chicken, that's fancy to me. Call me unsophisticated, I guess.
June 19, 2011 12:27AM
No, not pictures of the deli, of the Tioga Road Open, like this!:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1532848&tn=0
June 19, 2011 08:01PM
I'm also cheap, I should have mentioned that. I hate over paying for food in a fancy place, let alone a gas station!

All that being said, the food is good, but it's just too expensive for me.
June 19, 2011 11:02PM
QITNL
No, not pictures of the deli, of the Tioga Road Open, like this!:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1532848&tn=0

Oh. Just got confused by all the posts and saw yours in proximity to all the talk about the deli. Still - it got some discussion going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 11:03PM by y_p_w.
June 19, 2011 03:38AM
But they sell burgers (a great tasting one) and pizza too! (So you're also covered!) smiling smiley
June 19, 2011 05:37AM
hotrod4x5
Buffalo Meatloaf, Lobster Taquitos, Cajun Chicken, that's fancy to me. Call me unsophisticated, I guess.

Okay, you're unsophisticated. This the first time I've heard whoa Nellie described as fancy.
June 19, 2011 05:46AM
hotrod4x5

It's California. That's typical, not sophisticated. If it were sophisticated you would pay 3x more and get half as much food.

One of the local greasy spoon cafes has their attempt at Veal Parmigiana on the menu. That's not fancy either... There's a Hungry Man version down at the supermarket too that's about the same quality.

Those look like fairly typical price ranges for a mid-range sort of establishment for those kinds of menu items, actually, and it looks like a diner. So I'm not surprised the quality is very good. I'll stop in there for a burger next time we get to Lee Vining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 05:55AM by AlmostThere.
June 19, 2011 06:39AM
June 19, 2011 08:35AM
NacciNW
Someone else's Tioga Pass photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/onzedaddy/YosemiteNP

That photo in the set titled: "Tenaya Creek" ... that's what I gotta get across in a couple weeks on my way to Sunrise????

Is that rght near the outlet?

Maybe NPS can helicopter me over for a small fee....
June 19, 2011 08:55AM
Anvanho
NacciNW
Someone else's Tioga Pass photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/onzedaddy/YosemiteNP

That photo in the set titled: "Tenaya Creek" ... that's what I gotta get across in a couple weeks on my way to Sunrise????

Is that rght near the outlet?

Maybe NPS can helicopter me over for a small fee....

That has to be to the east of the lake as the outlet is slow moving and flat before it drops into Tenaya Canyon.

Old Dude
June 19, 2011 08:40PM
Tenaya Lake, today. Yes, there is still ice.

June 19, 2011 08:42PM
Oh, um, also: I got fish tacos at Whoa Nellie. There's no 'fancy' about this, just a heck of a lot of YUMYUMYUMYUMYUM.

June 19, 2011 09:30PM
Berry Interesting.... I takes same photo Thursday:

Look, it's melting:

A different perspective on Friday:

June 22, 2011 07:47PM
calipidder

Almost all gone as of yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.
June 22, 2011 09:59PM
calipidder

Compare that to yesterday:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dsc_1746.jpg.html
June 23, 2011 07:01AM
Probably a better comparison:

Thursday, June 16

(I still contend Cath Lakes will be still have significant ice on July 1)

June 20, 2011 01:07PM
I actually think the best thing to eat at the Whoa Nellie is their chocolate cake, which is right underneath the cash register. However, one piece will run will the egregious price of $9.00!

Their potato salad is also excellent and only $2.50.
June 20, 2011 03:18PM
Being a carnivore myself, my favorite is their St. Louis Style Baby Back Pork Ribs... But their cheesecakes are to die for, also.

Feed ME!
June 20, 2011 07:55PM
All you people are so sophisticated!!!!Feed ME!Chick-on is looking at you!
June 20, 2011 08:27PM
oakroscoe

Us sophisticated?

We're not the ones backpacking with a bottle of burbon and a stash of cigars. wink
June 20, 2011 10:34PM
plawrence
oakroscoe

Us sophisticated?

We're not the ones backpacking with a bottle of burbon and a stash of cigars. wink

From what he's been telling me I kinda think he may be carrying a slab o bacon and
Forest's sun a glasses... (at least then he won't forget them on his dash-a-board
when he a hiking to Kibbie on the snow) wink

June 21, 2011 12:45AM
chick-on
(at least then he won't forget them on his dash-a-board
when he a hiking to Kibbie on the snow) wink
Haha, the only thing more annoying than that was carrying the case for the glasses in my pocket, and yet the glasses were still on the dash of my truck...Apparently snow is quite bright and reflective when you don't have sun glasses.
June 21, 2011 01:09AM
plawrence
oakroscoe

Us sophisticated?

Haha, that's gotta be the first time that having a little booze in an aquafina bottle has been called sophisticated. But that has got to be one of life's pleasures, after a long day on the trail sitting around the fire, watching the sunset, having a smoke and a drink...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login