Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Video of the brink of Vernal

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Video of the brink of Vernal
June 18, 2011 11:56PM

Shot this past Weds, June 15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 11:11AM by hotrod4x5.
June 19, 2011 02:16PM
Nice, thanks.

Did a number of short sub 15 second 720p HD videos this last couple weekends with my new Canon SX130. One of the best spots is just up the highway from those motels down at El Portal where a large easily climbed on boulder sticks way out into the flow. To reduce the usual high contrast in direct sun, such whitewater videos work best either at low sun angles or when whitewater is in shadows as in early or late in the day. According to YouTube one can do HD videos now and I need to figure out how that works. A 12 second video from my camera eats up about 30mb of memory so I have to wonder what they are doing to have such viewable on the web.
June 19, 2011 03:35PM
DavidSenesac
Nice, thanks.

Did a number of short sub 15 second 720p HD videos this last couple weekends with my new Canon SX130. One of the best spots is just up the highway from those motels down at El Portal where a large easily climbed on boulder sticks way out into the flow. To reduce the usual high contrast in direct sun, such whitewater videos work best either at low sun angles or when whitewater is in shadows as in early or late in the day. According to YouTube one can do HD videos now and I need to figure out how that works. A 12 second video from my camera eats up about 30mb of memory so I have to wonder what they are doing to have such viewable on the web.
This was about 74 megs shot with my Samsung Android phone in HD 720p. If you click the 360 in the lower right corner, you get the option to see the HD version, then click full screen to get maximum effect.
avatar Re: Video of the brink of Vernal
June 19, 2011 02:32PM
They use H.264 on their HD videos. It strikes a balance between significantly decreasing bitrate, and therefore file size, and trying to minimally impact quality.
June 19, 2011 03:56PM
Very nice. I've never seen Vernal Falls like that

Here is a video I took on top of Upper Yosemite Falls a month ago:

June 20, 2011 10:40AM
Did you go to the railing below too?

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 20, 2011 10:46AM
don't know if you're referring to my video, but I don't remember a railing per se, but rather a mini-cliff I shouldn't have been standing on.

Actually now that I think about it, I think there may have been a railing, but I just wanted to get a little closer to the water to take some neat pictures..
June 20, 2011 11:08AM
Yes it was in "reply" to your video. There is a railing atop Yosemite Falls.
From there you can lookie down, see the cascade below, the trail below, etc.

June 20, 2011 11:13AM
i.e. :

(this if from May of 2009)

June 20, 2011 11:16AM
Love this shot! Even without seeing the chick-on's face, it looks like he's screaming "HOLY SH****T"!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 18, 2011 01:26PM
DavidK42
Love this shot! Even without seeing the chick-on's face, it looks like he's screaming "HOLY SH****T"!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

At best, he's crying fowl.
June 20, 2011 11:47AM
chick-on
Yes it was in "reply" to your video. There is a railing atop Yosemite Falls.
From there you can lookie down, see the cascade below, the trail below, etc.

that shot you have is amazing

and to answer your question...nope, didn't do that, but will definitely try that next time
September 18, 2011 01:30PM
sactown23
don't know if you're referring to my video, but I don't remember a railing per se, but rather a mini-cliff I shouldn't have been standing on.

Actually now that I think about it, I think there may have been a railing, but I just wanted to get a little closer to the water to take some neat pictures..

Perhaps Mr. Penca was standing on that very spot. Is this near the top before you go down the staircase, or did you scramble near the footbridge?

Subscribed to you & hotrod.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login