Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Footwear recommendations: Mist Trail & onwards

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Footwear recommendations: Mist Trail & onwards
June 21, 2011 11:11PM
I hiked up to Vernal Falls this weekend and very much enjoyed it except for getting my trail-running shoes wet as I ascended the Mist Trail. I took 30 minutes to dry-off at the top but my shoes and socks remained damp. The descent via the John Muir trail wasn't the most comfortable.

I'd like to do the hike again and continue to Nevada Falls. Can anyone recommend better footwear for this hike? Perhaps something that can dry-off quickly yet still provide enough comfort for the hike past Vernal Falls? I'm considering water-shoes by New Balance, Salomon and even the Vibram Five-Fingers.

Or maybe I should just wear trekking sandals for the Mist Trail ascent and pack light hiking shoes for when I get up to Vernal Falls?
Re: Footwear recommendations: Mist Trail & onwards
June 21, 2011 11:38PM
We hiked it Thursday last week, got soaked and like you dried off as best we could on top of Vernal. We did go all the way to Nevada and down the JMT. My socks never did dry out completely. If I were to do it again, I would wear my Tevas for the wet part, keeping my hiking shoes (low tops) in my pack with my socks to keep them dry.
avatar Re: Footwear recommendations: Mist Trail & onwards
June 22, 2011 04:14AM
Any standard waterproofed hiking boot or shoe with gaiters (commercial or homemade) to protect the socks while traversing the wet areas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 05:10AM by szalkowski.
Re: Footwear recommendations: Mist Trail & onwards
June 22, 2011 03:32PM
Why so worried about wet feet? I've hiked for miles with wet feet. The problems start when you have friction plus wetness, which gives you blisters, which means you need shoes that fit better.

If you don't want wet feet take water shoes, or a spare pair of socks and shoes, for the wet parts of the trail.

For very cold wading I have switched to goretex socks to wear while using my trail runners - no need to buy goretex shoes that will lose their waterproofness in no time, thanks to all the miles I put on them. I can take the goretex off again when it's not needed. Generally, it's not. Foot fungus does not need the additional help of a shoe that won't dry out quickly. I had to use a blow dryer to dry out the last pair of goretex shoes after a wet trip - they only work if your socks don't wick the wet down into them, and you're not wading in water over the tops!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 03:34PM by AlmostThere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login