All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 22, 2011 09:08PM
Rangers with radar where very plentiful on Tioga Road this week. One was sitting at the May Lake turn in the 35 mph zone that so few obey.
June 22, 2011 09:16PM
Did they ticket you for driving a Prius?

Also, I am assuming that the May Lake road was not a plowed yet.
And that the parking lot across from it was. Do tell.

(I doubt the Marmut-Ratmobile goes faster than 35 on a good day so Dr. Marmut shouldn't have anything to worry about)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 22, 2011 09:24PM
chick-on
Did they ticket you for driving a Prius?

They didn't ticket me at all. I generally obey the speed limits on Tioga Road.

Also, I am assuming that the May Lake road was not a plowed yet.
And that the parking lot across from it was. Do tell.

Just a little bit to the gate was plowed. The other half of the loop was not. Don't remember for sure but I don't think the parking area was at all visible.
June 22, 2011 09:35PM
I've never understood people who drive fast on Tioga Road. YOU'RE ON TIOGA ROAD!! Enjoy it. Look at the amazing views! Look in the trees to see what you can see. Who's in a hurry on Tioga Road?
June 23, 2011 12:04AM
itchbay
Look at the amazing views! Look in the trees to see what you can see.

Sorry, but that's bad advice. If you want to look at the amazing scenery on Tioga Road, please pull off the road, step out of the car, and enjoy the view.

But while driving, both of your eyes need to be focused solely on the road ahead. I think most collisions and accidents on Tioga Road occur when the driver takes his/her eyes off the road to admire the beautiful scenery.

Passengers are allowed to look, but not the driver of the vehicle. Drivers admiring the scenery while driving are accidents waiting to happen.
June 23, 2011 07:34AM
OK, maybe the looking in the trees thing is my own pleasure, and I've never been the one to drive through Yosemite. The boy has always been kind enough to drive so I can look for bears (a running joke). But he goes slow enough that I can enjoy the views, without holding up the people behind us. And we're familiar with every pull out by now, I'm sure.

My point, though, stands, that when in Yosemite, you should show a kind of respect and reverence for the place, and part of that is to enjoy each moment instead of rushing to the next place. I imagine that how one drives in Yosemite is similar to how one hikes.
June 23, 2011 08:00AM
itchbay
I imagine that how one drives in Yosemite is similar to how one hikes.
You're imagining things.

(one does not take 1400 photos in <4 days by not enjoying the scenery)

June 23, 2011 08:15AM
itchbay
OK, maybe the looking in the trees thing is my own pleasure, and I've never been the one to drive through Yosemite. The boy has always been kind enough to drive so I can look for bears (a running joke).

There is a bear hiding behind every tree...
not to mention the chikin lurking in the shrubbery.
(RumorMongeringly Yours)
The Marmots
June 23, 2011 09:12AM
szalkowski
There is a bear hiding behind every tree...
not to mention the chikin lurking in the shrubbery.
(RumorMongeringly Yours)
The Marmots
is he going to run across the road?

( couldn't resist! smiling smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 09:19AM by qumqats.
June 23, 2011 06:59AM
itchbay
I've never understood people who drive fast on Tioga Road. YOU'RE ON TIOGA ROAD!! Enjoy it. Look at the amazing views! Look in the trees to see what you can see. Who's in a hurry on Tioga Road?

That be me baby!

It's pretty simple: If (going < speed limit) && (car behinds you) then (USE THE PULLOUT!!!!!)

And going speed limit does not mean you were going the speed limit 5 minutes ago on
the downhill section.

Re: Watch your speed
June 23, 2011 12:26PM
itchbay
im in a hurry on any road when im in Yosemite, a hurry to get out of the car
June 22, 2011 09:42PM
ahem ,,,, I stand by my rant from 3 years ago: (not to mention the all too-numerous "a bear was killed here by a driver" signposts)

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,4536,4562#msg-4562
June 22, 2011 09:44PM
Anvanho
(not to mention the all too-numerous "a bear was killed here by a driver" signposts)

Three this week: http://twitter.com/YosemiteNPS/status/83678906808401920
June 22, 2011 11:51PM
eeek
Anvanho
(not to mention the all too-numerous "a bear was killed here by a driver" signposts)

Three this week: http://twitter.com/YosemiteNPS/status/83678906808401920

But were all the drivers who hit the bears driving faster than the speed limit?

Some of the most inattentive drivers I've seen on Tioga Road drive the slowest -- too busy looking at the scenery instead of keeping both eyes on the road.
June 23, 2011 01:08AM
What's worst?
The crazy fast drivers, or the crazy slow drivers?
I guess it depends on where in the that spectrum you are.
It doesn't depend on where you are, you always have to be cautious, use common sense, and be aware of the situation. This is where people have problems.

It also helps if you've driven on mountain roads before, aren't afraid you're going to fall off the cliff, don't think the lane is too narrow, don't slow for every curve, and know how to down-shift.
In other words, you're not a tourist.

( wow, I guess I've become jaded, I've been to Yosemite too often, know the roads too well, and experenced how bad some of the drivers are sad smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 01:09AM by qumqats.
June 23, 2011 01:59AM
For me bad drivers come in all shapes and speeds. Fast or slow, driving pickups, RV, sedans, or sports cars. There are a million and one ways to drive badly.

Driving too fast is dangerous, but one shouldn't assume that driving slowly absolves one from paying close attention to what's happening in front of one's vehicle on the road too.

Speed kills, but so does inattention to the road and the immediate surroundings.
June 23, 2011 09:12AM
Who's in a hurry on Tioga Road

I have to plead guilty on this but I feel I have somewhat of an excuse. I drive up every weekend from the LA area to Yosemite to hike from June-November. So I have 2 days to hike and 320 miles to drive home on Sunday. I do speed on Tioga (barely, maybe 5-10 miles over), but I do speed on 395. I always get at least 2 tickets a year on 395 in the summer and fall, but deserve them.
June 23, 2011 09:37AM
Ulysses61
Who's in a hurry on Tioga Road

I drive up every weekend from the LA area to Yosemite to hike from June-November. So I have 2 days to hike and 320 miles to drive home on Sunday.

You're bypassing 200 miles of the Sierra Nevada every weekend?
(Some of which is even more spectacular than Yosemite.)
June 23, 2011 10:12AM
szalkowski
You're bypassing 200 miles of the Sierra Nevada every weekend?
(Some of which is even more spectacular than Yosemite.)

More spectacular than Yosemite? No way.

As spectacular? Yes. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login