All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar The snow is all gone from the meadow (Tuolumne that is)
June 23, 2011 08:23PM
Plenty of snow in the shade but the meadow is just wet.

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dsc_1670.jpg.html
Re: The snow is all gone from the meadow (Tuolumne that is)
June 23, 2011 08:31PM
Tuolumne Wilderness Center Opening
Wilderness permits and bear canisters will be available from 9am to 4pm for now. The center has no power, no phones, and no restrooms. We will be hand writing permits and maps and books will not be available until the center opens completely. Please tell visitors they will need to come prepared with these items. Only permits for the Tuolumne and Tioga Road trailheads will be available due to the lack of communication with the other permit stations. Also, if you have not heard, walk up permits do not become available until 11am on the day before you want to start your trip. We are hoping that this change will reduce the number of visitors lining up in the early morning hours. Another benefit is that we are now consistent with all of the surrounding Forest Service permit stations in how we issue first come first serve permits. (N. Chakrin - 6/23)

Tuolumne Gas Station Opening
The Tuolumne Meadows Gas station is now operational for the 2011 season. Gas is available 24 hours a day with pay at the pump credit. (G. Rosenfeld - 6/23)
avatar Re: The snow is all gone from the meadow (Tuolumne that is)
June 23, 2011 08:40PM
KenS
Tuolumne Gas Station Opening
The Tuolumne Meadows Gas station is now operational for the 2011 season. Gas is available 24 hours a day with pay at the pump credit. (G. Rosenfeld - 6/23)

That was quick. They were still working on it Tuesday.
June 23, 2011 10:55PM
KenS
Tuolumne Wilderness Center Opening
Only permits for the Tuolumne and Tioga Road trailheads will be available due to the lack of communication with the other permit stations.

Does this mean permits are being issued to all Tioga Road trailheads? I have reservations for May Lake TH July 15-19 and I was worried that they might not be issuing permits for this trailhead by then due to the snow craziness. Planning on doing May Lake to Glen Aulin to WW Falls, to TM.
June 24, 2011 03:32AM
MOOOOSE
Does this mean permits are being issued to all Tioga Road trailheads?

Yes
June 24, 2011 07:17AM
Awesome! Now it is a question of if I will be able to get to Glen Aulin and WW Falls from May Lake due to the snow and water levels on the trails.
June 24, 2011 08:40AM
MOOOOSE
Awesome! Now it is a question of if I will be able to get to Glen Aulin and WW Falls from May Lake due to the snow and water levels on the trails.

There won't be any snow on the trails.
Outside of creek crossings, might still need to negotiate some water at the W end of Glen Aulin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 08:45AM by szalkowski.
June 24, 2011 09:32AM
Saweet! Thanks for the info.
June 24, 2011 09:59AM
Thanks! I was hoping for some information on this too. We have a permit leaving from White Wolf on July 15 and are planning on heading through the GCT to Glen Aulin. (From there is still up in the air, as we were planning to continue on to Cathedral Lakes, Clouds Rest and then Half Dome on our way back to the valley. I understand that the second half of the trip is still very frozen and under snow). From what I understand, we'll have two major creeks to cross - Register and Morrison. Will we still need to be concerned about flooding in the canyon at that point?

This will be our first trip to Yosemite. We live in the South and are pretty clueless about how the snowmelt works - we're done with snow by mid-February here, and 2 inches of snowfall is considered a blizzard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 10:00AM by happykamper.
June 24, 2011 11:14AM
I might bump into you at Glen Aulin HappyKamper. I will be there around the same time. I have been to Yosemite a bunch of times but this is my first backpacking trip in the area, so I will let the experts answer your questions.
June 24, 2011 07:30PM
MOOOOSE

Well, Delaney ought to be memorable! ,,, like being in "Kontiki" .. sort of my guess ...

It helped me a year ago that I'm an 8th "salamander" on my grandfather's side ... it was just waist deep then (early July 2010)
June 24, 2011 07:34PM
Anvanho
Well, Delaney ought to be memorable! ,,, like being in "Kontiki" .. sort of my guess ...

Yet another reason to start at Pothole Dome.
June 23, 2011 08:37PM
eeek

Is there still snow on Dana Meadows by Tioga Pass?
June 23, 2011 08:40PM
plawrence

Yes, there's plenty of snow there.
June 23, 2011 08:43PM
plawrence
eeek

See this post:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39188,39492#msg-39492
June 23, 2011 09:23PM
This shot of Unicorn Creek shows some of the snow under the trees at Tuolumne:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dsc_1674.jpg.html
June 24, 2011 07:16AM
eeek

I bet the mosquitoes are gonna love those conditions. Or will all the water disappear before they can get established?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 07:50AM by Louis.
June 24, 2011 05:37PM
Louis

I bet the mosquitoes are gonna love those conditions. Or will all the water disappear before they can get established?

Nope, you're not going get lucky. It takes two to three weeks for the mosquitoes to mature and take off. I bet this July will be an epic month for the quantity of mosquitoes in the meadows of the Sierra. Don't leave home without your mosquito repellent! You will undoubtedly need it.
June 24, 2011 11:28AM
June 24, 2011 11:39AM
Nice pic. The ground looks pretty dry?
June 24, 2011 11:54AM
MOOOOSE
Nice pic. The ground looks pretty dry?

I wouldn't call it dry. Just not completely wet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login