Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Peter Lik and Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Peter Lik and Yosemite
June 24, 2011 08:03AM
Last night on The Weather Channel, Photographer Peter lik was in Yosemite shooting the local attractions. The guy is a Great Photographer but got a little dramatic in his quest to photogragh the lower Yosemite falls. It's a must see for all on this board. I think it is on again tonight @ 9:00 (06/24) on The Weather Channel.
June 24, 2011 09:12AM
ERICG
Last night on The Weather Channel, Photographer Peter lik was in Yosemite shooting the local attractions. The guy is a Great Photographer but got a little dramatic in his quest to photogragh the lower Yosemite falls. It's a must see for all on this board. I think it is on again tonight @ 9:00 (06/24) on The Weather Channel.

It's at 6pm, 9pm, and midnight Pacific Daylight Time. It's followed by the Grand Canyon shoot at 6:30pm, 9:30pm, and at 12:30am.

It also repeats a number of times over the next week or so. You can probably find out on their web site.
June 24, 2011 07:20PM
OK, I just watched it. It's hilarious to anyone who knows the trails of Yosemite. He starts off by "getting the rangers' permission" to hike towards the base of Lower Yosemite Falls. The nearby trail and bridge are not shown....he's trying to make it look like this is a wilderness trek. He then sets up on a big rock near the base, in the spray, and his camera is too wet to take any photos. Duh.

The he gets a four wheel drive truck, and fakes a breakdown on a dirt road that supposedly leads to the trail head for Inspiration Point! He trying to make it look like a bushwhack, so he gets himself photographed scrambling around in what is recognizably the wet rock just off the trail from Tunnel View (which he never mentions). He sets up at Inspiration Point, or maybe at the well-known view next to the trail a bit lower than that, and takes some sunset photos. Then he pretends that he will have to hike down in the dark, i.e. doesn't mention the flashlight that he must have in his pocket. Not to mention those of the unacknowledged assistants, who must be carrying the video cameras that took the footage of him and his camera, and who must be carrying much of the gear.

There is lots of this sort of stuff. He obtains a famous guide to lead him up the Mist and Muir Trails and then to the Panorama Trail for the standard photos of the falls and Liberty Cap, etc. These are all photos that you have in your own collection, but he tries to imply that he has gone far off trail to get new perspectives. Which his aren't.

It's a kick. The photography is worth watching. The bogus factor is amazing. Enjoy.

By the way, if you set up to record it, be aware that with all the ads it runs well over the scheduled half hour.
June 24, 2011 07:35PM
Great report and thanks. I'll watch it tonight.
June 29, 2011 07:41AM
I got to watch it yesterday at 3pm. HA. (He really didn't do Yosemite justice as he seems to on other locations for his shows.) And I don't know which show was more exaggerated...this one or "Man vs Wild" in the Sierra Nevada.
June 29, 2011 07:46AM
hikerchick395
And I don't know which show was more exaggerated...this one or "Man vs Wild" in the Sierra Nevada.

Man v Wild seems to be getting increasingly silly each season and I only watch it occasionally now. I missed the Sierra episode...were you able to tell where he was?
avatar Re: Peter Lik and Yosemite
June 29, 2011 11:52AM
DavidK42
hikerchick395
And I don't know which show was more exaggerated...this one or "Man vs Wild" in the Sierra Nevada.

Man v Wild seems to be getting increasingly silly each season and I only watch it occasionally now. I missed the Sierra episode...were you able to tell where he was?

I quit watching the show after the Sierra episode. Just ridiculous.

Here's an animal that can kick me in the head and kill me... let me try to ride it.
This river is roaring... I don't know what is below... let's jump on a log and ride it down.
This granite is pretty steep... let's get down quickly by sliding on it.

Just really crap advice imho.

almost for sure S. Sierra... and probably mulitple locations... with nice soft bed in between... I never took any effort myself to try and figure out where exactly... def. not Yosemite though

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Peter Lik and Yosemite
June 29, 2011 11:56AM
Couldn't be Yosemite, you can't get filming permits there. And since I'm a big Suvivorman fan I don't watch Bear. I'm waiting for the lawsuit when someone gets killed following his "advice".
June 29, 2011 07:54AM
It was his first season and I'm assuming that Bear was in the southern Sierra. He parachuted in a high country lake, encountered "wild" horses (and tried to ride one,) and swam across a reservoir to get out of the wilderness at the end. Exactly where he was, I don't know.
June 29, 2011 11:24AM
ERICG

Peter Lik is a self-aggrandizing douchenozzle, easily outclassed by better (and far less obnoxious) photographers.

Having been to where he went in his show about Lake Powell, his complete misrepresentation of conditions there (having to swim back to the boat like Navy SEALS rather than just having the boat come to the shore, etc....) and then seeing his Yosemite show with all it's vapid puffery, I'm avoiding him like the plague.
June 29, 2011 12:02PM
I'm just saying the guys a "Drama Queen". He could have done much better job showing Yosemite then he did.
June 29, 2011 12:13PM
ERICG
I'm just saying the guys a "Drama Queen". He could have done much better job showing Yosemite then he did.

Indeed. That's because the show is all about him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login