Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ostrander Lake and Horse Ridge

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ostrander Lake and Horse Ridge
June 26, 2011 10:52PM
Sunday, June 26th
Great weather.

Day trip from San Jose to Ostrander Lake. Still some good ice on there

https://picasaweb.google.com/105955546605383965707/Ostrander?authkey=Gv1sRgCIznie6Pm4X7TA&feat=directlink

June 27, 2011 12:47AM
Great pictures. This is nicely timed since I'm planning a day trip to the lake next Sunday from San Francisco. I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me about trail conditions and give any advice for my trip next week. smiling smiley . I've only been in snow once so I'm really curious as to how long all that snow will last. I hope it's still there next week.

Thanks!

Edit: Oh one last thing, what were your start/end times for the hike?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 12:56AM by vict1019.
avatar Re: Ostrander Lake and Horse Ridge
June 27, 2011 06:58AM
You may be interested in this from 2 weeks ago for some comparison:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,38691

I looked at where I had gone up and down Horse Ridge before (same location as they went up in one instance),
and said no way was I going up there... w/o crampons and ice axe

Have fun (it's 6 miles on trail... how long could it possibly take? wink)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 27, 2011 08:42AM
Hey! I'm glad the pictures could help. I know I always like when I get some updates around then.

The way up took 2 hours but we weren't pushing too hard and took a break or two. There were patches of snow in the first hour but nothing too bad. The ground was pretty moist and mucky in some places. But the last hour or more was done all in the snow. You can check out the pictures and see that everything is pretty much covered. If you have a hard time finding the trail in the snow....look up towards the trees and spot the little yellow markers to find your way. Once we hit the hut we headed right and then went up the ridge. The short steep way looked like more fun so we took that up and then the longer way down. I would say the trip took us a little longer than it should but we weren't under any time limits.

8:30am got on the trail
10:30-11:00am got to the lake
12pm go to the top of the ridge
hung out for a while
4:30pm back at the car

Oh and the first entrance that you could use to Bridalveil Campground was closed because of a downed tree I believe so you might have to still make your way to the second entrance down the road a bit. It comes up quick.

For the 4th going to do Mono Med to Clark and then up to Tahoe for the day of the 4th smiling smiley
June 27, 2011 10:01AM
gkam2
Oh and the first entrance that you could use to Bridalveil Campground was closed because of a downed tree I believe so you might have to still make your way to the second entrance down the road a bit. It comes up quick.

You should use the Ostrander Lake TH (clearly marked with a sign now) (wasn't two weeks ago).
Unless you want to cross Bridalveil without a bridge...

July 05, 2011 03:15PM
gkam2
For the 4th going to do Mono Med to Clark

You make it?

July 06, 2011 04:21PM
chick-on
gkam2

You make it?

I take that as a no.

July 08, 2011 09:39AM
chick-on
chick-on
gkam2

You make it?

I take that as a no.

You can take that as a no. I went with my girlfriend and after much deliberation....... she bailed us out.
June 27, 2011 02:02PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Looking forward to it next week. I planned on staying at Bridalveil Campground if it was open(still hoping it opens up) and start the hike from there but I guess we'll be starting on the Ostrander Lake TH since we don't want to cross the creek without a bridge.
July 04, 2011 01:48PM
Fun trip, gkam2. The hourly summary of your trip really helps.

In a few weeks, I intend to spend the night near the lake, and hike back to the trailhead the next day. Purchasing permit now.

I have a backpacking tent, but it is NOT freestanding. Requires 4 stakes, plus needs to be guy'd out in 4 additional areas. Kind of a stupid design now that I think about it.
Q1) Will this tent suffice @ the lake area?
I ask this because I don't want to find out that the area is made of granite and rocks, which would prevent me from using my non-freestanding backpacking tent smiling smiley.

Q2) I can surely find the proper Ostrander trailhead pullout area, because it's been discussed around the forums before. But...someone please tell me more about the Bridalveil Creek Campground access to this trail. Does this campground (I know, it's not open yet) somehow also provide access to the Ostrander lake trail?

Thanks for the info, folks.
July 04, 2011 06:49PM
A1.1) Why wouldn't it? Put some cordage on where you put el stake-o... and use rocks to hold tent down.
A1.2) But yes, there is dirt to stick tent stakes.
A1.3) I have a few non-free standing thing-a-dings... I almost never bring stakes
A2.1) Yes

July 04, 2011 09:05PM
Thank you for the information, chick-on. I hadn't thought about using rocks to hold down my non-freestanding tent. Also great to know there is enough dirt nearby for me to use stakes, if I bring them.

Is there any benefit/difference in using the trailhead parking area VS using the Bridalveil Creek Campground area to begin the hike? Thanks again for your experienced advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 09:06PM by herosemblem.
July 04, 2011 09:24PM
If you take a look at a topo map, you will see that you must ford the main channel of Bridalveil Creek when starting out from the campground.
If you start out from the Ostrander trailhead, there is a creek crossing of a Bridalveil tributary... but a footbridge exists there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 09:43PM by szalkowski.
July 04, 2011 09:30PM
herosemblem
Thank you for the information, chick-on. I hadn't thought about using rocks to hold down my non-freestanding tent. Also great to know there is enough dirt nearby for me to use stakes, if I bring them.

Is there any benefit/difference in using the trailhead parking area VS using the Bridalveil Creek Campground area to begin the hike? Thanks again for your experienced advice.

I just got back from Ostrander/Hart Lakes. The advantage to using the Ostrander trailhead is it is open, and you can park in it. The Bridalveil Campground is still gated shut. And you need to ford the creek even if you park in a pullout, walk through the campground and start from that trailhead. The miles are the same from either trailhead so there is no appreciable advantage other than the Ostrander trailhead not forcing you to cross a major creek.

There are snow patches around the west and north sides of the lake. Mosquitos are just starting. Biting flies are too. The fish are biting and the ridge is still covered with snow. There are places along the trail where it has become a creek and a few snow patches in shaded parts but there are footprints and flags up in the trees to keep you oriented.
July 04, 2011 09:38PM
AlmostThere
but there are footprints and flags up in the trees to keep you oriented.

What the heck are footprints doing up in the trees?

My original answer to Q2 was: didn't I already answer this?

BV Campground trail has the advantage of being able to peeky at the creek every once in awhile...
The Ostrander TH goes thru Lost Bear Meadow... although it's been awhile since I've been thru there.

Of course you can skip the trail... and go the way we did ... Horizon Ridge the entire way...
but don't blame me for my transgressions...

July 04, 2011 09:39PM
chick-on

The heavy snow affected gravity in the Sierra.
July 04, 2011 09:42PM
eeek
chick-on

The heavy snow affected gravity in the Sierra.

The footprints are where they usually are - in the mud and snowbanks. The secondary navigating method for the map impaired would be the bits of reflective metal in the trees.
July 04, 2011 09:52PM
chick-on

Normally chikin traps are placed on the ground.
However... some of the rangers get a bit overexuberent.
(Baitingly Yours)
The Marmots
July 04, 2011 09:55PM
szalkowski
chick-on

Normally chikin traps are placed on the ground.
However... some of the rangers get a bit overexuberent.
(Baitingly Yours)
The Marmots

July 04, 2011 10:10PM
herosemblem
I hadn't thought about using rocks to hold down my non-freestanding tent.

Exhibit A:

I never rely on other people's footprints...

In this case the Ski Trail markers follow the trail closely... but that is not always the case
(case in pt. Ghost Forest Trail is between BV CG trail and Lost Bear meadow... )
(and Taft Pt. Ski Trail does not go to TH parking is another example)

July 05, 2011 01:01AM
That tarp tent is neat-lookin' and simple enough. I can't wait to go.
I spy (what looks like) a "Bare Boxer Contender" canister...
July 05, 2011 03:40PM
The difference a week makes:

We went up Friday - on Sunday most of the snow patches we'd crossed on the way to the lake were gone. All the ice in the lake was gone. Hart Lake had maybe 25% ice coverage when we went by it, on the way back to Ostrander an hour later, half that ice had melted.

It's really warm up there - didn't get below 45F at night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login