Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest
June 27, 2011 05:55AM
Anyone tried this trail yet this year? How is the creek crossing at the West endof the lake? Is there much snow to contend with on the trail? I will be hiking this weekend.
avatar Re: Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest
June 27, 2011 06:47AM
Here is what it looked like Friday:

Boatloads of snow still... Recent reports should give you a good idea...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 27, 2011 11:05AM
Thanks for attaching the photo album. A couple of questions:
1. Is there a way to get to the trail that doesn't involve wading through 33 degree water up to your privates?
2. What's the best way to travel this trail under these conditions -- snowshoes?
3. Is there less snow heading up from the Mist Trail?
June 27, 2011 11:54AM
Hiker Dad
1. Is there a way to get to the trail that doesn't involve wading through 33 degree water up to your privates?
- Trailboat (I'm serious)
- You could go around and start near Pywiack Dome and cross Tenaya Creek and outlet of Lower Cathedral
and work your way south of Tenaya Lake. Trail on Friday on that side of lake was full snow still...
The sum of doing that may not be better than just crossing the outlet...
- There are definitely people crossing it... but not many
- Scuba Booties (again, I'm serious)

Hiker Dad
2. What's the best way to travel this trail under these conditions -- snowshoes?
Hiking sticks. Snowshoes are useless. Snow is consolidated. Walk right on top of it.
And hope suncups aren't too bad
Expect lots and lots and lots of snow... (you can spy where you going in May Lake thread pix)

Hiker Dad
3. Is there less snow heading up from the Mist Trail?
Of course. Maybe the last 1K up has snow. Maybe less. Lots are doing it... you will have company.

June 27, 2011 11:40AM
Please read Eeek's 6.27 post re weather conditions or go to: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ096&warncounty=CAC043&firewxzone=CAZ296&local_place1=Yosemite+Valley+CA&product1=Flood+Warning. Pretty crazy weather / flooding in store....
June 27, 2011 12:39PM
Thanks. Great suggestions, as usual.
June 27, 2011 01:33PM
Someone linked an aerial photo of Cloud's Rest and Half Dome from a few days ago, which might give you an idea of snow cover...

https://picasaweb.google.com/JoeFellerAZ53/AerialPhotosJune232011?feat=directlink#5621921389838693586
June 27, 2011 03:47PM
Those are cool!

I put some photos in May Lake High Sierra Camp. Ooops.

I guess I didn't put the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Hoffman

Here's another picture with a few things marked to give an idea of where the trail is and how much snow there is:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 03:49PM by chick-on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login