Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne campground opening date?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne campground opening date?
June 27, 2011 03:58PM
I did do a search here and couldn't find a specific thread about this. Somewhere I thought I read the date of July 15th was being tossed around. But I was hoping to get there BEFORE the full moon of the 15th which is a Friday. Anyone seen any news on this lately ? Will it be open in two weeks?
June 27, 2011 04:03PM
I guess I can answer my own question with this link http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm#table

July 15th ? It says.
avatar Re: Tuolumne campground opening date?
June 27, 2011 04:09PM
That means they just don't know yet. The sewage system will have to be up (and that means electrical too) before the campground can open.
June 27, 2011 04:18PM
eeek
That means they just don't know yet. The sewage system will have to be up (and that means electrical too) before the campground can open.
Tell them to hurry!
June 27, 2011 08:29PM
I just talked to somebody about it. They have to restore power and there is a blown transformer o nthe Lee Vining side. They do not know when that will be replaced. We are trying to go the weekend before the 15th, but it may not work out. One person said they might get it by then, then somebody else said they did nto think it would happen by the 15th either.
June 27, 2011 09:26PM
telfair ave
I just talked to somebody about it. They have to restore power and there is a blown transformer o nthe Lee Vining side. They do not know when that will be replaced. We are trying to go the weekend before the 15th, but it may not work out. One person said they might get it by then, then somebody else said they did nto think it would happen by the 15th either.
Well here's hoping you get to go, because we want to go during the week before the 15th.
June 28, 2011 07:06AM
I will be there the afternoon of August 8. I hope that it will be open by then.
June 28, 2011 07:08AM
snorkus
Oh it WILL be! It has to be.
June 28, 2011 07:19AM
hotrod4x5
snorkus

Rolling on floor laugh
MarmotMarmotMarmotMarmotMarmotMarmotMarmot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 07:21AM by szalkowski.
June 28, 2011 10:13AM
hotrod4x5
snorkus

That's the day after the big storm will close the road for the winter. Grinning Devil
June 28, 2011 08:19AM
snorkus

Oh, Who cares about you and when you go, it is all about me and when I go.

BTW, Maybe I might go then too. Can you go the weekend of Aug 4th?
June 28, 2011 07:52AM
The Tuolumne Meadows webcam has been out for months ... the attached message says: "no power" ... or "no phone line" ... something like that; I forget ... will that be up and running once they get everything online?
June 28, 2011 08:06AM
Anvanho
The Tuolumne Meadows webcam has been out for months ... the attached message says: "no power" ... or "no phone line" ... something like that; I forget ... will that be up and running once they get everything online?

To my knowledge, there has never been a TM webcam. The one to which you are referring is up at the Tioga Pass Entrance Station.

It was first installed by UC San Diego, the Climate Research Division of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. Last that I knew, an attempt was being made to upgrade the system with funds from the Yosemite Conservancy:
http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga/
June 28, 2011 08:19AM
You mean the Yosemite Conservancy may actually spend funds on something useful?
June 28, 2011 08:30AM
tomdisco
You mean the Yosemite Conservancy may actually spend funds on something useful?

It all depends on how closely they monitor the Petty Cash fund.
June 28, 2011 05:33PM
You mean my $25 dollars will be put to good use? And I thought I would just be content with the coupons they sent me!
June 28, 2011 05:22PM
Given today's unusual rainfall, which supposedly might "dust" the area with more snow, it wouldn't surprise me if the opening date gets pushed back even further.
June 28, 2011 05:37PM
Hope not. I have reservations for the 18th. I think it might be wet, mosquitoey, and slushy though. I'll have to wait and see if they send out an email warning about the campground conditions like they did with my reservations last July.
July 08, 2011 08:31AM
Made a reservation for UP on the valley on the 17th so I can get up to Tuolumne bright and early Monday the 18th for a FCFS. I sure hope it's open!
July 08, 2011 08:59AM
Is the TM backpackers campground open?
July 08, 2011 01:31PM
MOOOOSE

No
July 08, 2011 01:34PM
eeek
MOOOOSE

No

Oh. Does it open at the same time as the regular campground?
July 08, 2011 01:40PM
MOOOOSE
eeek
MOOOOSE

No

Oh. Does it open at the same time as the regular campground?

It always has in the past. They can't really open either until the sewer system is running.
July 08, 2011 01:43PM
Thanks eeek.
July 08, 2011 08:01PM
Howdy,

Been reading these boards and this is my first post..... About the backpackers's CG at TM...

I have been following several PCT through hikers via their online Journals because I will be section hiking the JMT From Red's Meadow to Happy Isles in two weeks and want to monitor trail conditions. PCT through hikers are arriving and regularly using the backpacker's campground at TM. Do not know if this is official usage because sometimes PCT hikers aren't the best about obeying regulations, but several have been there or are currently camped there. Its hard to imagine the park not being aware of them because we see lots of "preparation" activity in TM when we go up.

Was it someone on this board that said the gas station was open at TM?

best,
Riverkat
July 08, 2011 08:35PM
riverkat

Was it someone on this board that said the gas station was open at TM?

best,
Riverkat
It is open.
July 08, 2011 09:34AM
I spoke to someone in the Yosemite Valley campground office yesterday. They said that while there's nothing official, the talk around the office was that it would open on the 15th.
July 08, 2011 09:32PM
Well...looks like August will be too crowded. Maybe Sept would be nicer for a visit. First year since the 80's we may not make it up there for camping.

Dave
July 13, 2011 09:45AM
I have a reservation in TM July 20-23. Is there a number I can call to get updated information on whether the campground will be open by then? Will they notify me ahead of time if it isn't?

Also, this is the beginning of our 12 day camping trip, I am wondering if I would be able to get access to another bear box (besides the one that is provided at my campsite) for more food storage??

Thanks! grinning smiley
July 13, 2011 10:23AM
TinaD
I have a reservation in TM July 20-23. Is there a number I can call to get updated information on whether the campground will be open by then? Will they notify me ahead of time if it isn't?

Also, this is the beginning of our 12 day camping trip, I am wondering if I would be able to get access to another bear box (besides the one that is provided at my campsite) for more food storage??

Thanks! grinning smiley
I have reservations there for the 18th, so it better be open! There are bear boxes in several places around there. I know there are a lot near the back country permit office. (at least there were 10 years ago which is the last time I picked up a permit there)
July 13, 2011 10:48AM
TinaD

Thanks! grinning smiley

I cannot imagine that it won't be open by then. We hiked through the campground on July 8th. The store opened that day and they were putting new fire pits in. They have power and there was some snow and standing water in the campsite, but nothing too major. Just have get the sewer system up and running. The 15th may not happen, but that is give or take a couple of days.
July 13, 2011 04:28PM
TinaD
I have a reservation in TM July 20-23.

Hey, aren't we supposed to be on our anniversary cruise that week! eye popping smiley

My wifes name is Tina and our last name begins with "D". I sent her an email with this post and asked what's up (jokingly)!
July 13, 2011 04:51PM
Hitech
TinaD

Hey, aren't we supposed to be on our anniversary cruise that week! eye popping smiley

My wifes name is Tina and our last name begins with "D". I sent her an email with this post and asked what's up (jokingly)!

Might she have any reservations too?
(Unsurely Yours)
The Marmots
July 13, 2011 06:55PM
szalkowski
Hitech
TinaD

Might she have any reservations too?
(Unsurely Yours)
The Marmots

Ha ha - Its a tough call camping in TM or a cruise...hmmmm cool smiley Have a fabulous time on the cruise!!
July 14, 2011 08:19AM
Thanks, we will. You know, that means there will be a reservation opening up soon. Rolling on floor laugh
July 13, 2011 02:37PM
Tuolunme Meadows campground will open Friday, July 15. I spoke to a live person at the YOSE camping information office. I have reservations for July 16/17. Running water should be available.
July 13, 2011 03:04PM
Thanks for the information!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login