Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

AAA Guide to the Eastern Sierra
June 27, 2011 04:46PM
I am not a member of this club anymore, they put out an excellent map with all the campgrounds, sites, etc. Does anyone know if you can walk into the office and buy one? Anybody out there a member who would be gracious enough to send me one for postage and time and trouble costs? (I hope that's not a violation of TOS)

I actually found a couple used ones on Amazon for $80 !?!?!
avatar Re: AAA Guide to the Eastern Sierra
June 27, 2011 04:48PM
hotrod4x5
I actually found a couple used ones on Amazon for $80 !?!?!

It'd be cheaper to join and get one for free.
Re: AAA Guide to the Eastern Sierra
June 27, 2011 04:52PM
The thing is, it has all the campgrounds listed in one, concise, well made map. I probably still have one in a box somewhere, but have to locate it.

I am trying to find a good website that has them all, from county, to forest service, to private, all in one place, but not having much luck.
June 27, 2011 04:58PM
IIRC, AAA guides do have a price on the cover of them, so they are for sale. I think I've seen them on sale at some of the local gas stations/gift shops alone US-395. Also if you happen to be traveling through Bishop on a weekday, you could stop at the Auto Club office located there. It's located one or two blocks off 395 in downtown Bishop. I think they would sell you one at that office. Wouldn't hurt to ask them anyway.
June 27, 2011 05:08PM
I think you can buy one at the Mono Lake Committee, among other places.
June 27, 2011 05:40PM
Think I located one. If you haven't seen this map, it is really quite excellent.
June 27, 2011 07:27PM
Funny you should bring up the Eastern Sierra AAA map. I worked for the AAA of So.Cal for 32 years and I'm very familiar with that map. It's the best, hands down. My wife still works for the AAA and I'm asking her about your questions right now. According to her you cannot walk into an AAA office and buy one. It's free to members. But some outside businesses do sell it for the price listed on the map front.

Years ago Readers Digest did a study and put out a report on the best values in the U.S.A. #1 was milk, #2 was an AAA membership. They also put out a very good campgound book and a hotel/tour guide.

Maybe I'm a little prejudice in favor of the AAA since they are sending me a monthly retirement check....... No, I'd still give them a thumbs up even if I hadn't worked for them.

Oh and if you want to see an outstanding detailed map for a really out of the way area check out their Guide to the Indian Country, and the Guide to Yosemite is pretty good too. Guide to the Colorado River is pretty detailed and interesting also.
June 27, 2011 08:03PM
What is the exact name of the map?

(so I can tell my mommy to send me one)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 27, 2011 08:08PM
June 27, 2011 08:14PM
Eastern Sierra Guide Map. A standard AAA thing, still in print. Free for members.

It's pretty good for its detail of approach roads and stuff.

I'm headed out that way this week myself. I have the road service, if I have a chance I'll drop by the office to pick one up. Or put in a order via mail when I get back. Or scan it.

Happy to share. Down with the scalpers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 02:01AM by QITNL.
June 27, 2011 11:42PM
I bought a copy of it at a gas station in Oakhurst (I'm pretty sure the Valero station), for the published price of $4.95. It seems likely that gas stations and convenience stores along Highway 395 will carry it, as it is the most appropriate map for that area. However I never stopped to look for it while driving the 395 so I can't say for sure. It has been a very useful map, although I do wish it were in book form, as it unfolds to 35" by 26" which makes it a bit awkward if you're sitting in the car with it. I noticed the map was on Amazon for about $13 new but is now unavailable. It is also shown on this page for $4.95 plus whatever they charge for shipping: http://www.sequoiahistory.org/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=48&idproduct=632
June 28, 2011 08:18AM
I just went to the AAA site (member) and tried to order this map. It was not listed. Then I called them and they could not find it in their system. Shortly afterward they called me back and said they found it in one of their California stores even though it is not in their on-line order data base. They are mailing me a copy.

So yes, members can get it free but it's a hassle.
June 29, 2011 04:11PM
tomdisco
I just went to the AAA site (member) and tried to order this map. It was not listed. Then I called them and they could not find it in their system. Shortly afterward they called me back and said they found it in one of their California stores even though it is not in their on-line order data base. They are mailing me a copy.

So yes, members can get it free but it's a hassle.

I just picked one up at the Northridge AAA in the SF Valley.
June 28, 2011 09:51AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 06:24AM by rightstar76.
June 28, 2011 12:50PM
It is an Auto Club of Southern Ca. publication and is only available at AAA So. Cal. offices and not through the Nationwide AAA website. However any AAA member from any state can walk into a So. Cal office (including Bishop) and get one. You can also call an AAA So. Cal. office and if you are an AAA member (any state) they will mail you one. Don't forget the Guide to Yosemite map.

The aforementioned Colorado River Guide has been discontinued and the Guide to Indian Country may also be soon.

If any of you AAA members have a hard time getting any of these guides let me know. (My wife still works for Auto Club of So. Cal., and she just told me it was her father who designed these guides way back in the 70's. They've been updated since then of course.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 12:50PM by mtn man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login