Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Finally in theaters!! My trip to yosemite Head roll
June 29, 2011 09:41PM
Ok guys sorry it took me so much time to get this post up but I would like to say thanks to all for there help/advice on my post and lots of thanks to CHICK-ON !!

So i started june 17th at glacier point to mount star area up to merced junction then to clouds rest back to star mount area and back to glacier point. total 5nights 6days. backpack way to heavy 65lbs!! most from the food though.

ok so join me on my journey here we go!!

This was on our way from the valley to glacier point

almost to glacier point but had to stop to see the snow

ok im off

ok i should tell everyone i was up all day then drove from san diego at midnight and got to yosemite ranger station around 7am with no sleep. then got our permit and hit the trail after eating buffet at curry village (not that great for the price either)

our friend before star mount king camp

finally camp one but I LOST MY SLEEPING PAD on the way so if any one finds it let me know.

nevada falls on day 2 heading to valley just before lost valley (camp2)

Almost steped on this big guy on way to camp 2

Ok lets set up here

Night timeat camp 2 wow its beautiful

woke up to the moon , funny i never saw the moon at night but there it is

I believe this is bunnel falls, tons of mesquitos i have about 18 bites on my back..itch itch

ok i have the worst balance so you go ahead first

footbridge heading to echo valley

wow this valley is the best

let the beatings continue..ouch my pack is too heavy

another friend..hey i smell food could you spare a piece for a poor old friend like me

tons of water flooded parts of trail

luch at merced junction

passed by nasty lake ..almost to camp 3

found a great camp..im so happy i thought id go sking

so happy yes so happy

camp 3

our view from my camp site 3

on our way to clouds rest finally some more snow

another damn log crossing which i almost broke my damn ankle getting off

ok so you go first

on our way up to clouds rest

ok cant find trail to clouds rest and should of turned around, cousin fell in snow hole and just not safe

lunch near top of clouds rest, well 700 steps away but im not going up any further

camp 4 near clouds rest trail

gosh im hungry..i love top ramen

ok well as im finishing my trip i noticed picasa had problems loading the rest ..although theres some funny pictures this will have to do

thanks again to all especially CHICK ON!!
avatar Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to yosemite Head roll
June 29, 2011 09:46PM
Lots of FUN! I love the frame-by-frame format. I am glad that you were able to get useful info from The Bird & his many archives of pix. Log crossings can be very tedious ( I heard that the Burro Boy loves them) Thank you for sharing your trip smiling smiley

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
July 01, 2011 03:12AM
Bee
Lots of FUN! I love the frame-by-frame format. I am glad that you were able to get useful info from The Bird & his many archives of pix. Log crossings can be very tedious ( I heard that the Burro Boy loves them) Thank you for sharing your trip smiling smiley

Bee is right- when I see the Goat smiling at me then I know I am in for another.... log crossing. So, yeah, I have a healthy love-hate thing going on with log crossings.

Loved your peektures, including the log crossing. Thank you for sharing, Jpsfirstresponse!
avatar Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to yosemite
June 29, 2011 10:57PM
Thanks for the trip report! Loved the pictures.

Jpsfirstresponse

then got our permit and hit the trail after eating buffet at curry village (not that great for the price either)

I've warned people in a previous thread: don't ever eat at the Curry Village buffet. The worst food served in Yosemite Valley. The best way I can describe it: very bad high school cafeteria food.

Next time for better breakfast options, try Degnan's Deli in Yosemite Village, or the Yosemite Lodge Food Court. Or if you want to splurge a little, breakfast at the Ahwahnee Dining Room (no dress code enforced for breakfast, brunch, or lunch).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 10:59PM by plawrence.
Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to yosemite
June 30, 2011 01:03PM
plawrence
Thanks for the trip report! Loved the pictures.

Jpsfirstresponse

then got our permit and hit the trail after eating buffet at curry village (not that great for the price either)

I've warned people in a previous thread: don't ever eat at the Curry Village buffet. The worst food served in Yosemite Valley. The best way I can describe it: very bad high school cafeteria food.

Next time for better breakfast options, try Degnan's Deli in Yosemite Village, or the Yosemite Lodge Food Court. Or if you want to splurge a little, breakfast at the Ahwahnee Dining Room (no dress code enforced for breakfast, brunch, or lunch).

The pizza, however, at Curry is fan-freaking-tastic
June 30, 2011 01:34PM
tanngrisnir3

The pizza, however, at Curry is fan-freaking-tastic

I agree. It's a very good pizza. The Pizza Patio at Curry Village is definitely the best dining option at Curry Village. Unfortunately, the Pizza Patio isn't open for breakfast.

(I also like the pizza at Degnan's Loft in Yosemite Village.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 01:34PM by plawrence.
June 30, 2011 01:48PM
The Curry Village Pizza is not bad in the winter when options are limited. In the summer however, it is worth the extra distance (foot, bike, bus) to go to Degnan's Loft in Yosemite Village. I've seen it packed in the summer where you have to wait 30 minutes just to order and find a table. Last year during July 4th weekend it was very empty which was odd. I guess everyone else was waiting in line to get out of the valley smiling smiley
avatar Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to Yosemite
June 30, 2011 01:39PM
plawrence

Odd, my wife and I enjoyed it enough for Dinner that we went back for breakfast. I assume we are talking about the same place, there is only one "sit down" buffet near Curry Village, right? And considering we were in Yosemite Valley, the prices didn't seem bad to us. Now, we did share a bottle of wine waiting for it to open. grinning smiley
June 30, 2011 04:33PM
Hitech
plawrence

Odd, my wife and I enjoyed it enough for Dinner that we went back for breakfast. I assume we are talking about the same place, there is only one "sit down" buffet near Curry Village, right? And considering we were in Yosemite Valley, the prices didn't seem bad to us. Now, we did share a bottle of wine waiting for it to open. grinning smiley

Just wondering, when did you dine there? The last time I ate there I was attending at workshop in Yosemite in 2007 and the workshop included meals at the buffet (six days worth of breakfast and lunch). Back then, the selection for dinner was skimpy but worse, the food that they did have was often not cooked properly. The broil chicken was usually undercooked (pink and bloody) and the pasta overcooked and soggy, the Marinara sauce tasteless and watery, and even something that is usually easy to prepare like coleslaw tasted like crap.

I haven't been back since. And other people I've talked to who have eaten there a bit more recently also complained about the quality of the food there.

But who knows, they might have improved the quality of it that past year or so.

On a related note. The staff at Curry Village's front desk does appear to have improved that past three years. Before they use to be some of the most slow moving, unhelpful (and sometimes downright surly) staff employed by DNC at the park. The past couple years, they have been downright helpful at times -- a marked improvement from just five years ago. I wonder if there's a new general manager in charge of Curry Village now.

So maybe the food at the buffet has improved as well. Though I must state, that you're the first person I know that has actually recommended the buffet in the past 20 years.
Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to Yosemite
June 30, 2011 04:40PM
plawrence
Hitech
plawrence

Just wondering, when did you dine there? The last time I ate there I was attending at workshop in Yosemite in 2007 and the workshop included meals at the buffet (six days worth of breakfast and lunch). Back then, the selection for dinner was skimpy but worse, the food that they did have was often not cooked properly. The broil chicken was usually undercooked (pink and bloody) and the pasta overcooked and soggy, the Marinara sauce tasteless and watery, and even something that is usually easy to prepare like coleslaw tasted like crap.

I haven't been back since. And other people I've talked to who have eaten there a bit more recently also complained about the quality of the food there.

But who knows, they might have improved the quality of it that past year or so.

On a related note. The staff at Curry Village's front desk does appear to have improved that past three years. Before they use to be some of the most slow moving, unhelpful (and sometimes downright surly) staff employed by DNC at the park. The past couple years, they have been downright helpful at times -- a marked improvement from just five years ago. I wonder if there's a new general manager in charge of Curry Village now.

So maybe the food at the buffet has improved as well. Though I must state, that you're the first person I know that has actually recommended the buffet in the past 20 years.

Ok, maybe I am easy to please, but I found the Curry Village breakfast buffet decent. I wouldn't have called it bad. I agree about the staff at the front desk of CV. We stayed there right before Christmas last year and they were very accommodating, bending over backward to try and make us stay when we checked out a day early due to all the rain.
June 30, 2011 05:10PM
plawrence
Just wondering, when did you dine there?

July 2010. It was recommend by someone on that other Yosemite forum. I wouldn't necessarily call it great, but it was better than we expected. Everything at least seemed prepared well. Since my wife liked it, it couldn't have been that bad. I'm easy to please when it comes to food, my wife is much pickier.

Maybe all the bad press on the internet convinced them to straighten up their act.
June 30, 2011 05:24PM
Hitech
Maybe all the bad press on the internet convinced them to straighten up their act.

It might depend on who is doing the cooking.
Re: Finally in theaters!! My trip to yosemite Head roll
June 30, 2011 07:17AM
Terrific slides!

Wow ... 65 lb pack??? crimony, that's a whole lot of provisions! ... man, one strong back for sure ....

I'll never forget years ago, I was hiking in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness ... met up with this one guy deep in the forest ... he was out for 7 days and the ***only*** food he took along was beef jerky and granola bars ... for 7 days????

yike, I'd need a pepto bismal smoothie after that ...

wow, how'd you lose your pad? hope it wasn't one of those thermorest "deluxe" versions ... $$$ ... not likely, they do not lend themselves to lightweight b'packing

Great photos
June 30, 2011 05:18PM
Anvanho
Terrific slides!

Wow ... 65 lb pack??? crimony, that's a whole lot of provisions! ... man, one strong back for sure ....

I'll never forget years ago, I was hiking in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness ... met up with this one guy deep in the forest ... he was out for 7 days and the ***only*** food he took along was beef jerky and granola bars ... for 7 days????

yike, I'd need a pepto bismal smoothie after that ...

wow, how'd you lose your pad? hope it wasn't one of those thermorest "deluxe" versions ... $$$ ... not likely, they do not lend themselves to lightweight b'packing

Great photos

And breath mints for the jerky!Gas Mask
July 01, 2011 07:51AM
Anvanho
Terrific slides!

Great photos

Well my pad was a new rei thermorest self inflatable . Shoot i only used it once and since its like $100 bucks or more i guess ill be sleeping on rocks for a while. i initially attached it to outside bottom of my backpack with the backback straps running through the sleeping pad so if it fell it would catch and hang instead of just falling off. wellmy cousin didnt slip the starp hrough sleeping pad strap so when it fell off it never caught or hanged (when it hangs it hits the back of your legs and lets you know time to re attach) then showed up at camp and no sleeping pad.

i looked all over and asked some hikers that came from my route but no luck , someone must of took it and never turned it in.

i overtime have perfected my packing. i take two top ramen and put into zip lock bag and crush them up so they lie flat. also dried pinaple from traders joes lie flat and taste amazing when backpacking. instant oatmeal lies flat as well, protien bars (stingers from rei) lie flat and taste great. energy electrolyte gel packs pack on the side of bear canister, beef jerky (bowe divine-is so soft and yummy and lies flat),dreid mangos lie flat as well (yummy)
June 30, 2011 01:22PM
Beautiful photos, Jpsfirstresponse! Makes me excited about my September trip. Woohoo!
July 01, 2011 08:07PM
Jpsfirstresponse,

aw geez, ... yeah, that was one of those really nice thermorest pads ... wow, bummer ...

I liked your food itinerary ... something from the five food groups .... well, three or four anyhow ... not sure what group ramen goes into ... they ought'a start a new separate food group ... things that don't conveniently go anywhere else ..like ramen, ,,, halvah, ... tums ... chewing tabacco ... habanero sauce ... just to name a few ...
July 04, 2011 09:01AM
As we like to say:

Cool Grape Goodness

Glad you had a great time. Bummer on the sleepy pad. Maybe that uzie guy found it???
(yes, I funny)

Anywho. THANKS FOR POSTING!

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 06, 2011 07:47PM
Thanks for the pics, always great to see. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

But man, seriously, 65 pounds? If I break 35 I'm throwing stuff out of my pack. You must be exceedingly well prepared!
July 07, 2011 08:11AM
oakroscoe
But man, seriously, 65 pounds? If I break 35 I'm throwing stuff out of my pack. You must be exceedingly well prepared!

That's what mine was. But, I had two stuffed full bear cans...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login