Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Campground update for Reds Meadow Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Campground update for Reds Meadow Valley
July 03, 2011 05:18PM
Devils Postpile, Pumice Flat, Pumice Flat Group, and Reds Meadow campgrounds are all open.
July 03, 2011 05:21PM
eeek
Devils Postpile, Pumice Flat, Pumice Flat Group, and Reds Meadow campgrounds are all open.

We are going up on Wed. I have never camped up there, is it possible to get in? Is it 1st come 1st serve? any other info on how to make a reservation would be great if there is a way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2011 05:23PM by telfair ave.
avatar Re: Campground update for Reds Meadow Valley
July 03, 2011 05:41PM
Camping
The Monument features a 21-site first-come, first-served campground.

FEES

Campsites cost $14.00/night. For Senior and Access pass holders, the fee is $7.00/night. The fee can be paid by cash or check in US Dollars. Credit cards are not accepted. (Please note that the campsite fee is in addition to the standard amenity entrance fee.)

RESERVATIONS

Reservations are not available.

OPERATING SEASON

The campground typically opens in mid-June and stays open through Columbus Day Weekend in October.

AMENITIES

The campground features flush toilets and running water. Each site is equipped with a picnic table, firepit, and bear-proof locker. Showers and RV hook-ups are not available. The nearest showers are available at Reds Meadow Campground and are open to the public.

RVs & CAMPERS

Only a few of the monument's campsites can accommodate campers and trailers over 30 feet in length. (On average, most site lengths range between 20 and 25 feet.) Anything larger than that is not advisable. In addition, the small size of the campground and its two loops makes negotiating turns with an extra long vehicle very challenging.

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Campsites are limited to six people per site per night and two vehicles. Additional vehicles may be parked in the overnight parking lot just outside of the monument boundary (approximately a 3-5 minute walk).

Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. During this time campers should avoid excessive noise, generator use, and other activities that would disturb neighboring campers.

Tents must be set up on the tent pads provided and must not be set up on any vegetation. Vehicles should not be parked on vegetation or in any way that blocks the flow of traffic.

Pets are allowed in the campground, but must remain on a leash or otherwise physically restrained at all times.

Camping must be limited to 14 days per stay.

Fires are only permitted in designated fire rings. Please make sure all fires are completely out and cool to the touch before leaving your site.

Proper food storage is required. Anything with an odor must be kept in the bear proof lockers which are located at each site.

Sites must be paid for within 30 minutes of occupation and property at that site must not be left unattended for more than 24 hours.

GETTING A SITE

The campground at Devils Postpile does not usually fill except for on the busiest holiday weekends. If you are looking for a site on July 4th weekend or Labor Day weekend, it is advised that you arrive before noon the Friday prior to the holiday weekend.

Monday-Thursday tend to be the slowest days in the campground and sites are usually available. The B-Loop fills first, as that loop is closest to the river. On an average summer weekend (Friday-Sunday), the campground usually does not fill until after noon.

Check out time is at 2 p.m. and all sites must be paid for within 1/2 hour of occupying the site. Once you have chosen and paid for a site, if you need to switch sites for some reason, please do not do so without notifying a ranger or leaving a note in the fee box.

OTHER CAMPGROUNDS IN THE AREA

Outside of the monument, there are seven Forest Service campgrounds located within Reds Meadow Valley. From north to south, these are: Agnew Meadows, Agnew Meadows Group, Agnew Meadows Horse, Upper Soda Springs, Pumice Flat, Pumice Flat Group, Minaret Falls, and Reds Meadow campgrounds. Sites in these campgrounds are $20 per site per night.

All of these campgrounds are first-come, first-served with the exception of the Agnew Group and Horse Camp as well as Pumice Group.

For more information on these campgrounds, please visit the Inyo National Forest website.

To make reservations for sites at Agnew Group and Horse Camp, as well as Pumice Group, please call Reserve USA at 1-877-444-6777.

http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/camping.htm
July 03, 2011 06:51PM
thanks for the info. We are going up Wed afternoon (should be getting to mammoth around 7:00 ish. Would it be possible to get in to one of the sites? Or is midweek fairly open? Which campground is preferrable?

Also, Thanks eeek for all the info on here.
July 03, 2011 09:39PM
I have stayed at the Red's Meadow campground many times and have quite enjoyed it. We checked out all of the campgrounds in the area and settled on this one. There is bear activity there similar to Yosemite Valley and similar bear box practices are a must. This campground is close to Sotcher Lake, Devil's Postpile NM, and the trail to Rainbow Falls. As an added bonus, they have a "natural" hot springs shower (or they did the last time I was there). I thought that was the coolest thing ever! Oh, and close enough to go grab a bite at the Red's Meadow Resort if you don't feel like cooking!

When you go down to the valley, you must agree to camp down there or you will be fined. They take your info down just to be sure that people don't try to circumvent the mandatory shuttle by claiming they are camping. They should tell you before you make the descent what campgrounds have availability and how many sites are available.

This information is a few years old (maybe five), so perhaps someone who has been there more recently can clarify. I believe it is time I went back!!
July 03, 2011 10:03PM
July 04, 2011 07:52AM
telfair ave
thanks for the info. We are going up Wed afternoon (should be getting to mammoth around 7:00 ish. Would it be possible to get in to one of the sites? Or is midweek fairly open? Which campground is preferrable?

Also, Thanks eeek for all the info on here.

Getting into Mammoth that late you may want to just pull into Shady Rest campground, on the right as you come into town. Then drive the extra hour or more down into Red's Meadows the next morning and get a site as people are leaving in the morning.
July 04, 2011 11:18AM
We were down there yesterday and it was extremely busy. Campgrounds were full. But it should calm down a bit after today.

Rainbow Falls is a must see!
July 04, 2011 11:28AM
hikerchick395
We were down there yesterday and it was extremely busy. Campgrounds were full. But it should calm down a bit after today.

Rainbow Falls is a must see!

thanks for the info. one more dumb question (or a few).

I am trying to make this a great trip for my family and we need to get to Tuolmune Meadows for a day or 2 for hiking. Is it kinda almost too far to be driving from Devil's Postpile from there? I am guessing at least an 1.5 hour drive? I am trying to see if we can get in on Tioga Rd for fri sat somewhere.
July 04, 2011 08:49PM
We've camped in Mammoth by Lake Mary at Coldwater Creek Campground and drove into the valley to hike before. Worth it to us smiling smiley Very long drive though, but Tuolomne is closer!
July 04, 2011 11:35AM
Yep, 1.5 hours is a good guess, considering you need to drive out of the Reds Meadow area and down through Mammoth Lakes before getting up to highway speeds.

It's about 1 1/2 hours from my house, but I don't consider that to far to go hike...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login