Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point Rockfall, July 1, 2011

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Glacier Point Rockfall, July 1, 2011
July 05, 2011 11:38AM
At approximately 3:40 a.m. on July 1, 2011, numerous visitors and employees in eastern Yosemite Valley heard a sharp cracking sound, followed by 20-30 seconds of rumbling - the unmistakable sound of a rockfall.

Subsequent investigation revealed the source of the rockfall to be from the upper west (upper right when viewed from Stoneman Meadow) portion of the scar left by the October 8, 2008 rockfall. The rockfall consisted of a rectangular block approximately 10 m (33 feet) tall, 2.5 m (8 feet) wide, and 1 m (3 feet) thick, for a total volume of about 25 cubic meters; this translates to a weight of about 75 tons. The block free-fell for about 200 m (660 feet) and landed on the prominent ledge above Curry Village along which the old Ledge Trail traversed. Rock debris continued down this ledge, but stopped on the talus slope behind Curry Village. There were no reports of injuries or structural damage associated with this event.

A specific triggering mechanism for this rockfall is not known, but the failed block was very likely destabilized by the October 8, 2008 rockfall. Be aware that rockfall areas can continue to be active for weeks, months, and even years after a major rockfall event.
avatar Re: Glacier Point Rockfall, July 1, 2011
July 05, 2011 11:50AM
I heard it was all due to a whole lotta pee-ing going on atop Glacier Pt.
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 05, 2011 11:52AM
July 05, 2011 01:58PM
chick-on
For those who know I'm crazy:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,960,962#msg-962

Right. It may have been nonsense, but it succeeded in getting the nice modern stone restrooms at Glacier Point permanently closed.

In this country, you don't have to make sense to file a lawsuit. And the defendant's lawyer will always opt for a compromise that gives the crackpot an apparent victory without costing the defendant a lot of money . The restrooms in question would drain towards Staircase Falls, not towards the face that had the rockfall.

The lawsuit also talked about overflow from a huge water tank up on the ridge. But that tank is filled from a pump down by the Four Mile Trail. It's not the size of the tank that matters, but how much extra water might be pumped up. Not much, I would guess....I've never seen that pump running when I passed by.
July 05, 2011 03:06PM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of ridiculous stuff lately.

I'm thinking of sueing for my pain and suffering I have endured... especially my ill advised death defying face to face harrowing experiences with poison oak.

All you have to do is look up where The Ledge Trail runs... and below it right by Curry Village... and it just does not look stable.
What I would say that is ... is pressure being released... and we're seeing a Glacier Pt. Arch being sculpted by the Big Guy (not the Old Dude).

July 05, 2011 03:10PM
July 05, 2011 02:59PM
We were there that night and I posted on here July 1 night to see if anyone had heard about the fall....

I just returned from a few days at Curry and last night (night of June 30/July 1), at 2:54 am, there was a HUGE crack (almost explosion like) followed by about 30 seconds of loud rumble of tumbling boulders that finally faded. It sounded like it came from the Glacier Point area. We nervously went back to sleep. The next morning, it was the talk of the village at the coffee bar, but not a single employee had any info. In fact, on the way out the Big Oak entrance, I stopped in and asked a ranger about it. He had not heard a word, and went back to the daily notes to see if he missed something....there was nothing mentioned. Any one hear anything about this?

.....Good to know where it was, and that I was correct in where it came from (in general, Glacier Point). Thanks for the update. Where'd you get the news?
July 05, 2011 03:59PM
Does anyone have any news on a rockfall on June 17? Woke me from sleep despite earplugs.
July 05, 2011 07:24PM
eeek
The block free-fell for about 200 m (660 feet) and landed on the prominent ledge above Curry Village along which the old Ledge Trail traversed. Rock debris continued down this ledge, but stopped on the talus slope behind Curry Village. There were no reports of injuries or structural damage associated with this event.

Anybody know if this obliterated (or at least blocked) any of the Ledge Trail? I was always scared of trying that trail although based on some of the stuff I've read here, it's been starting to gain a spot on my "trails-to-do" list. Did it just get a lot harder or did the rock eventually fall off the ledge (I'm sure at least some of it was left behind)?
July 05, 2011 08:19PM
It's not really a ledge. It would take a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE rock to make it impassable.

More info on the trail is here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,25265

There may be more... but that is my blatant advertisement (someone can send me cash if they want)

July 05, 2011 09:24PM
The landscape keeps changing on Ledge Trail.
The rock falls are all in the same areas, so those areas are just a big rock pile.
Very steep and lots of very loose rock so it's rather hard to go up or down.
My suggestions:
) Go up it your first time, not down
) stick to the left, i.e. away from the cliff
) wear long pants and boots that give good ankle support ( good advice for any off trail hiking )
July 06, 2011 12:58AM
While I've always been curious about this trail and want to "hike it" once, it's events such as these that have prevented me from doing so. It's probably wiser to avoid it, and there's nothing to prove to anyone.

Gotta maintain good judgment & prudence. Just a few months back, I didn't even feel comfortable/confident enough to scramble up to Mastodon Peak @ Joshua Tree. Got pretty close, but turned back in the end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login