Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Advice on Mid-July Trip: JMT - Cloud's Rest - LYV

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Advice on Mid-July Trip: JMT - Cloud's Rest - LYV
July 07, 2011 10:25AM
I'm helping to organize a backpack trip with Boy Scouts and some of their dads. I'd love any input as to its viability based on likely trail conditions. Here is our tentative plan:

July 15-16: Camp in Tuolumne Meadows campground (assuming it opens by then) to prepare and acclimatize.
July 17: Cathedral Lakes TH to Sunrise HSC (which I understand is closed for business but I assume we can still camp nearby).
July 18: Sunrise HSC to just shy of Cloud's Rest (any preferred overnight areas in that vicinity?)
July 19: Cloud's Rest to LYV
July 20: Super early start from LYV (with day packs only) to Half Dome and back, collect packs, and out to Happy Isles, showers, and pizza.

As an alternative we could stay on the JMT out of Sunrise Lakes HSC and bypass Cloud's Rest - that would keep us a tad lower in elevation but perhaps avoid icy conditions on Cloud's Rest if they exist?

The group is in generally good backpacking shape and recently did a long approach to Mt. San Jacinto (above 10k). No extensive experience in snow or ice though, and no special equipment apart from waterproof boots and hiking poles (i.e. no snow axes, snowshoes or crampons).

I've tried a few numbers I found online as potential backcountry Ranger desks but have had no success in getting in touch with anyone. Anyone have any good contacts for that? I suspect that this group likely has more collective recent experience in the area though!

We have our Wilderness permits secured as well as campsites reserved on both ends.

BTW, we will likely be cancelling a couple of sites in the Valley for nights of July 21 and 22 - if anyone would like to try to re-reserve them let me know and I can coordinate with you on when I call in the cancellation.

Thanks for any insights!
avatar Re: Advice on Mid-July Trip: JMT - Cloud's Rest - LYV
July 07, 2011 10:31AM
I've never done it (but plan to), but I think that Sunrise HSC to just before Clouds Rest is only a mile or two. I'd think you would be better going from Sunrise HSC to LYV. That would give you the whole day to do Half Dome and leave the following day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 04:42PM by Hitech.
avatar Re: Advice on Mid-July Trip: JMT - Cloud's Rest - LYV
July 07, 2011 04:44PM
I believe "most" people camp at the stream crossing about a mile before the "base" of Clouds Rest.
Re: Advice on Mid-July Trip: JMT - Cloud's Rest - LYV
July 10, 2011 09:17PM
On July 1 four of us left Tenaya for Couds Rest. Gave up on it due to snow, but others did summit. We camped near the junction of JMT and Clouds Rest trail on a plateau looking up at Half Dome. Great location, plenty of water (though we camped about 500 feet away to avoid mosquitoes). Then we woke at 2:30 and were on top of Half Dome by 5am to give us a great view of sunrise over Clouds Rest. Great trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login