Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

More Yosemite Maps

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

More Yosemite Maps
July 08, 2011 10:20PM
Hi,

I've found this site to be a great resource while lurking over the last few years and the recent thread about Gmap4 made me want to get off my butt and introduce myself.

In my no longer so copious spare time I've created my own online topographic map of the Sierra Nevada (specifically focused on the peaks of the Sierra Peaks Section peak list) which, of course, includes Yosemite. Hopefully members of this community will find it useful. You can find it here:

http://www.closedcontour.com

I've also started work on a large wall map of Yosemite. It's a 1:63360 map of the whole park, measures 52"x42" (big!), and hopefully one day will contain up-to-date information of use to backcountry users. Not having the free time I once had there is no ETA for ever finishing this map but it's been quite fun to work on. Here's a poorly downsampled image of what it looks like from afar:

Actually I have a copy on my wall and the colors of the roads/rivers/lakes etc are much more subdued than the above image. Anyway, here's an area with a little more detail:

So far I've got all the named summits, lakes, passes, some trails, some canyons, and a few other odds and ends on there.

I'd also be curious to have some of the more prolific backcountry visitors in this forum try out using a for-print re-rendering of the closedcontour.com maps out in the wilds to get some feedback. Here's an example map made to be printed at 240dpi. Any takers?

Thanks,
Dan
July 10, 2011 08:54AM
Dan,
I've known about your site for awhile. It is excellent!
I've even pointed people to it...
As for using it in the backcountry.... I've already taken screen shots and taken them with me.
But typically even though I bring maps... I rarely look at them.
They do look great though!!! Love them!
Thanks for all your work.

Maybe master webmaster eeek will add your site to the list o maps area on this site...
(hint hint)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login