All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

olmstead point to polly dome lakes to may lake mt hoffman.
July 11, 2011 09:23AM
anyone done this loop? or done it recently?? any info would be great.. thanks.
avatar Re: olmstead point to polly dome lakes to may lake mt hoffman.
July 11, 2011 11:32AM
Wondering why you want to start at Olmsted Pt....

Go Murphy to Polly then up to May Lake... take Old Tioga back down to Sunrise TH... hike road or whatnot back to car at Murphy

Gonna be delicious right now.

May be thataway this wkend... but I'll be avoiding the creeks...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: olmstead point to polly dome lakes to may lake mt hoffman.
July 11, 2011 12:05PM
actually i got my permit to start at murphy trailhead... was thinkin of starting from olmstead primarily cuz the person im goin with hasnt seen tenaya lake or that surrounding area.. but might not make sense. You have any idea what the snow level may be past polly dome at the may lake tuolumne junction?? is the old tioga rd the road that runs along snow creek for a bit? why take this road as opposed to the trail next to it? ive never been on this road in this area. Maybe ill see you and chick and his new lady smiling smiley..... what you think that status of murphy creek and any crossings will be? everything ive read so far and people ive talked to say that may lake is still frozen over. any fish in the polly dome lakes? what is the name of the lake located where old tioga and tioga pass by the quarries? do you know?
July 11, 2011 02:25PM
Dang. You axe a lot of questions.

Wasn't up there last wkend. So not certain of snow levels. Me. I'd rather have snow than flooded trail.

Look at this map:
ClosedContour Map of Area
It shows Old Tioga Rd. You would take that down towards Tenaya Lake to avoid the very long way to Olmsted via
The Snow Creek Trail.

May Lake has fish. Polly Dome Lakes (at leat the big one) have fish. You can avoid Murphy by xcountry up to Polly Dome Lake.
I have only been there once but I'm pretty certain that you can walk around it and completely avoid Murphy. That is what I would be prepared to do.
(I'm fairly certain the trail used to go that way anyway)

That little pond S of Tioga near May Lake Rd. is not named. Or at least I have never heard a name for it.

You will see Tenaya Lake by going Murphy. Just drive up to Olmsted before and after your trip and spend 15 minutes up there enjoying the views...

Have fun

July 11, 2011 02:57PM
If you start from a different trailhead, your permit ain't valid - you need a new permit to start anywhere else. Start where the permit says, do what chick-on says, visit Olmstead on the way to the trailhead.
July 11, 2011 05:00PM
ithanks for the responses guys, appreciate it...

i do axe lots of questions... most dont need to be asked. sometimes its just precautionary smiling smiley i will def observe murphy creek and consider the xcountry towards the lake.. i will send an update next week regarding the status of this area.

true almost there, but if i have a wilderness permit for said days starting on this day... and happen to be at olmstead point while on the way to murphy creek trailhead, theres really nothing wrong with this as i am still a day hiker and can almost be where i please.. i just havent gotten to the trailhead yet. thanks for the info as im sure lots of people are confused about this lil detail.
July 11, 2011 06:15PM
The general rule o thumb is... if you got a sleepy bag and/or tent in that there pack... you better have a wilderness permit.

Have fun

and axe away
smiling smiley

July 11, 2011 06:54PM
daddray831
true almost there, but if i have a wilderness permit for said days starting on this day... and happen to be at olmstead point while on the way to murphy creek trailhead, theres really nothing wrong with this as i am still a day hiker and can almost be where i please.. i just havent gotten to the trailhead yet. thanks for the info as im sure lots of people are confused about this lil detail.

You can walk with your packs to the trailhead through any non-wilderness area as long as you stay out of the wilderness areas. If you have overnight gear with you and are in a wilderness area that is not in keeping with your trailhead entry, in your case #20, you can get cited and kicked out of the park. If you are going to dayhike in the wilderness then leave your packs somewhere and be a true dayhiker.

Old Dude
July 11, 2011 08:31PM
daddray831

Before you assume this you should be sure a ranger agrees with it.

People have been fined and walked out of the wilderness for not having permits that work for the trail you are on. Yosemite has some pretty serious backcountry ranger staff who will check you for permits and bear cans.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login