All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Conditions of Glen Aulin & May Lake Trails and Backpackers' Campgrounds
July 13, 2011 03:45PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm heading from Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin to May Lakes beginning on Friday 7/22 with some scouts.

Can anyone give me an update on the trail conditions? What are the stream crossings like? What are the BP'er campgrounds like?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Conditions of Glen Aulin & May Lake Trails and Backpackers' Campgrounds
July 13, 2011 04:02PM
Did you notice all the other threads asking about Glen Aulin, TM campground, and May Lake? They've got the info you want.
July 13, 2011 07:19PM
I was just on that trail July 10 and 11 so can give you the scoop on conditions as of right now, but the melt is on and conditions will have changed (improved) considerably by the time you and your group get there.
Trail conditions:
Tuolomne Meadows to Glen Aulin was snow free all the way. The stream crossings at Delaney and Dingley are shin to knee high, the water was cold but not really moving much, so I got my feet and legs wet and cold but it's not dangerous. I also got wet crossing the bridges. The Tuolomne river was running so high that the area next to the bridges were flooded, again it didn't feel dangerous, just wet.
Glen Aulin to May Lake was tougher. Snow line starts at about 8400 feet in among the trees which is about two or three miles from Glen Aulin. It's wet sloppy snow with lots of post holing among the boulders and the trees. Map and compass skills needed. Cathedral creek was about like Delaney, knee deep, wide and cold. At the May Lake / Murphy Creek junction I decided I preferred to check out Poly Dome lakes so went down the Murphy Creek trail and can't comment about the rest of the way to May Lake. It was wet melty sloppy snow the rest of the way to the larger Polly Dome lake, but easy to find a snow free campsite up on the rocks overlooking the lake. Had it all to myself and loved it.
The next morning I hiked out on the Murphy Creek trail which had some snow almost all the way down to Tenaya Lake at 8100 feet.
Backpackers camps:
Tuolomne Meadow car campground and backpackers camp is due to open this Friday July 15th. You can stay at the backpackers camp with your group one night before and after your trip if you have a permit. Fee is $5 per night per person. The backpackers campground has about 20 sites and needs to fit all who arrive, so grab a site at the edge and put your whole group in one site. Each site has a bear box, picnic table and fire pit. The bathrooms have flush toilets and water spigots, but no showers and are located in the surrounding car campground.
Glen Aulin backpackers campground is adjacent to the High Sierra Camp. It is free to stay here.There is a composting toilet for the backpackers. There are also a few bear boxes, but not one for each site. I like the upper sites better that are farther away from the HSC, they are more spread apart, have nice views, but are further away from the bear boxes and toilet.
May Lake backpackers campground is adjacent to the High Sierra Camp. It is free to stay here. There is one flush toilet and one (or maybe two) bear box for all backpackers to share. There are not specific sites, just a general area for backpackers to set up there tents. Camping here next to the lake is beautiful.
Hope that is helpful.
avatar Re: Conditions of Glen Aulin & May Lake Trails and Backpackers' Campgrounds
July 14, 2011 08:53AM
Thank you soooo much Katy. I've poured over all the other posts but I was really looking for the current info you've provided. I realize how fast things are changing.

From all the info I've gathered, it sounds like we will find some challenging conditions in some places, but nothing we can't handle. I like a little adventure in my adventures!

Thanks again!
I hiked to White Cascades on the 9th and the first creek crossing (Delaney?) felt dangerous to me. The water was actually very swift but there is a log you can easily cross on. And the water is painfully cold.

The bigger problem was the mosquitoes! I had so much bug repellant on and I came back with 11 bites.
July 14, 2011 03:54PM
Jayabrams - Glad to be of help.

Vagabond - I didn't mean to minimize how scary it can be to cross a wide, ice cold, knee deep river.
avatar Re: Conditions of Glen Aulin & May Lake Trails and Backpackers' Campgrounds
July 14, 2011 10:42PM
Vagabond28

The bigger problem was the mosquitoes! I had so much bug repellant on and I came back with 11 bites.

Then the mosquito repellant you used was ineffective (unless the bites occurred through your clothing and not on the exposed skin that had the mosquito repellant).

I would suggest next time to use a different mosquito repellant.
plawrence
Vagabond28

Then the mosquito repellant you used was ineffective (unless the bites occurred through your clothing and not on the exposed skin that had the mosquito repellant).

That did cross my mind except it worked 2 weeks prior on another trip to Yosemite and I had no bites. Granted the four mile trail didn't have as many mosquitoes. I was using off deep woods. Any suggestions on a better repellant?
July 15, 2011 05:49PM
Vagabond28
Any suggestions on a better repellant?

Bring along someone that the mosquitoes really like. Grinning Devil
July 15, 2011 07:23PM
July 15, 2011 09:17PM
That seems an interesting product to test out.

The one concern I have about it for use while hiking is what they state about it effectives while moving: "Clip-On Starter repellent provides personal protection from mosquitoes. If you move, allow a few minutes for the unit to rebuild its protection."

Well, when I'm hiking, by definition, I'm on the move. So it appears my protection with this device clipped onto my body will wane while I'm hiking about.

This looks like a better product for repelling mosquitos while staying put at camp or at an outdoor picnic. Something I'll consider since in the morning while at the campsite, I would rather not slather on insect repellant until I'm packed up and ready to set out again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 09:18PM by plawrence.
July 15, 2011 09:42PM
plawrence
"Clip-On Starter repellent provides personal protection from mosquitoes. If you move, allow a few minutes for the unit to rebuild its protection."

I have found it to work well when moving. Not perfect, but better than anything else I have tried (except for the thermacall, but it is even harder to use while hiking).
July 15, 2011 10:02PM
Hitech
plawrence

"Clip-On Starter repellent provides personal protection from mosquitoes. If you move, allow a few minutes for the unit to rebuild its protection."

I have found it to work well when moving. Not perfect, but better than anything else I have tried (except for the thermacall, but it is even harder to use while hiking).

As a comparison, I've never gotten a bite – never – where I have applied 3M Ultrathon on my skin. So far Ultrathon is batting 1.000 for me. smiling smiley
July 16, 2011 10:05AM
I received no bites while using the off clip on. I just saw some mosquitoes. And I hate putting that stuff on, unless the 3M Ultrathon is different than the others.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try 3M Ultrathon for hiking and thermacell for camping.
July 18, 2011 03:47PM
Hitech
I received no bites while using the off clip on. I just saw some mosquitoes. And I hate putting that stuff on, unless the 3M Ultrathon is different than the others.

It's not and Ultrathon is a bit greasier than some other products. But it works, and it works well for a very long time. So I use it when it's necessary.

But when I'm hiking in mosquito infested areas, I'm also usually clothed head to toe with Insect Shield® treated inspect-repellant clothing: http://www.insectshield.com/Shop/Products.aspx

I find clothing treated with Insect Shield® very effective in protecting against assorted insect bites including mosquitoes and ticks. The clothing is a bit pricey compared to non-treated clothing, but I think it's worth the price when hiking or camping in mosquito infested areas.
July 15, 2011 09:09PM
Vagabond28
plawrence
Vagabond28

That did cross my mind except it worked 2 weeks prior on another trip to Yosemite and I had no bites. Granted the four mile trail didn't have as many mosquitoes. I was using off deep woods. Any suggestions on a better repellant?

Yes.

I've had by far the best success with 3M Ultrathon. It's especially effective (compared to other mosquito repellants) for when you are out for an extended period of time in mosquito country. For short exposure to mosquitos (two to three hours or less) most any commercial product would work. But for extended exposure (six to eight hours and more), the only one that seems to last in my experience is Ultrathon. (I've found it more effective than even the 100% DEET jungle juice products.)

It's available at REI and other outdoor outfitters: REI.COM: 3M Ultrathon

Highly recommended.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login