Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rafting

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 14, 2011 01:45PM
Rafts are available to rent at the Curry Village Recreation Center from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily.
July 14, 2011 03:37PM
I'll add that the last bus at the end of the 3 mile course leaves at 6pm.

If you have your own raft, you have a couple options. 1.Car shuttle. 2.Get out at Swinging Bridge, deflate and walk to the shuttle stop on the north side of the river. 3.Or rent life jackets, which are your tickets on the bus. You'll have to deflate your raft, but they have a place for them under the seats in the luggage storage area. Buying your own raft may seem expensive, but each person costs $26. So if 4 of you want to raft, that's over $100. You can get a decent 5 man raft for not much more than that. Then you have it for future visits. I got a 5 person (800lb capacity) Sevylor raft for about $150 5 years ago and have used it several times (wish I could visit more in rafting season, but it never works out that way) Although it says 5 man, it comfortably carries 3 adults in reality. Raft two or three times in your visit and it pays for itself.

Anyone happen to know the distance from the launch point to Swinging Bridge?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 03:40PM by hotrod4x5.
July 15, 2011 08:20AM
hotrod4x5

If you have your own raft, you have a couple options. 1.Car shuttle. 2.Get out at Swinging Bridge, deflate and walk to the shuttle stop on the north side of the river. 3.Or rent life jackets, which are your tickets on the bus. You'll have to deflate your raft, but they have a place for them under the seats in the luggage storage area. Buying your own raft may seem expensive, but each person costs $26. So if 4 of you want to raft, that's over $100. You can get a decent 5 man raft for not much more than that. Then you have it for future visits. I got a 5 person (800lb capacity) Sevylor raft for about $150 5 years ago and have used it several times (wish I could visit more in rafting season, but it never works out that way) Although it says 5 man, it comfortably carries 3 adults in reality. Raft two or three times in your visit and it pays for itself.

Via the road it's just under a mile from Stoneman Bridge to Swinging Bridge. But add the curvature of the river and you are probably adding about another 1/2 of a mile. Usually takes about 1 1/2 hours to float.

Definitely get your own raft if you are going to float the river more than once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 08:22AM by mtn man.
July 15, 2011 08:36AM
mtn man
hotrod4x5

Via the road it's just under a mile from Stoneman Bridge to Swinging Bridge. But add the curvature of the river and you are probably adding about another 1/2 of a mile. Usually takes about 1 1/2 hours to float.

A quick check on TOPO! shows the river distance from Stoneman Bridge to Swinging Bridge as 2.1 miles.
(Southside Road distance between those points is 1.7 miles. It's 1.0 mile from Stoneman Bridge to Sentinel Bridge.)
July 15, 2011 09:00AM
szalkowski
mtn man
hotrod4x5

A quick check on TOPO! shows the river distance from Stoneman Bridge to Swinging Bridge as 2.1 miles.
(Southside Road distance between those points is 1.7 miles. It's 1.0 mile from Stoneman Bridge to Sentinel Bridge.)

OOOOOOOPS, you are right. I was accidently measuring from Sentinel Bridge to Swinging Bridge. I think I need reading glasses.......
July 18, 2011 09:29AM
hotrod4x5

If you have your own raft, you have a couple options. 1.Car shuttle. 2.Get out at Swinging Bridge, deflate and walk to the shuttle stop on the north side of the river. 3.Or rent life jackets, which are your tickets on the bus.

FYI - Last year we floated down the river on our own tubes (many times) and we were able to ride the shuttle back for free - no questions asked. We had to deflate our tubes and put them under the bus. We stay in Housekeeping so getting dropped off at Curry works perfectly for us.
July 23, 2011 09:23PM
TinaD
hotrod4x5

If you have your own raft, you have a couple options. 1.Car shuttle. 2.Get out at Swinging Bridge, deflate and walk to the shuttle stop on the north side of the river. 3.Or rent life jackets, which are your tickets on the bus.

FYI - Last year we floated down the river on our own tubes (many times) and we were able to ride the shuttle back for free - no questions asked. We had to deflate our tubes and put them under the bus. We stay in Housekeeping so getting dropped off at Curry works perfectly for us.
I guess it depends on the bus driver. When we were deflating our raft (with our life jackets in hand as our tickets to ride) another couple came up and asked us if we were just going to get on the bus. They also had their own raft. I explained that the jacket was the ticket to ride. I told them that if they walked up the road just a short distance, they could cross Swinging Bridge and catch the regular bus. Just then the girl who was loading rafts came over to them with two life jackets. She said,
"If you will return these for me, I will let you take them as your ticket for the bus."

As we boarded the bus, the driver watched every single person and clicked a clicker for each person/life jacket.

This was my experience, I guess you guys got lucky. Personally, for the 2 bucks it cost to get the jacket, I wouldn't risk not getting a ride back. Oh, and you don't need to stand in the long raft line to get jackets, just go to the bike register to the left and pay for your jackets without waiting in the long line.
July 15, 2011 07:21AM
Hmm.... I've actually never contemplated boating the river.

I presume with my own boat I can get jump in and out wherever I want...
Prob. jump in at Clarks and float down to Cathedral Beach... 5 miles o floating... smiling smiley

I also presume I don't really need a life jacket... although you do. wink

Get in before 10am and I got it to myself... hmm....

Comments?

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 15, 2011 08:14AM
chick-on
Hmm.... I've actually never contemplated boating the river.

I presume with my own boat I can get jump in and out wherever I want...
Prob. jump in at Clarks and float down to Cathedral Beach... 5 miles o floating... smiling smiley

I also presume I don't really need a life jacket... although you do. wink

Get in before 10am and I got it to myself... hmm....

Comments?

Park Service prohibits vessels east of Stoneman Bridge and west of Sentinel Beach Picnic area. They actually have a rope float across the river there and an employee in the water waving you into the beach. You have to have a life jacket in the vessel but don't have to wear it unless you are under a certain age(check the regulations).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 08:15AM by mtn man.
July 15, 2011 08:39AM
Bummer... wanted to floaty down to El Cap area... and hang out there...

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

July 15, 2011 08:50AM
chick-on

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

Years ago (20 or so) you could go all the way to the old El Cap. picnic ground and get out there. Took about 3 hours. Great float ride! And you used to be able to put your raft in at the Lower Pines and North Pines campgrounds.
July 15, 2011 11:20AM
mtn man
chick-on

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

Years ago (20 or so) you could go all the way to the old El Cap. picnic ground and get out there. Took about 3 hours. Great float ride! And you used to be able to put your raft in at the Lower Pines and North Pines campgrounds.

Why did the Park Service shorten the route along the Merced?

I recall even back in the 1990's one could legally float down past Sentinel Beach and get out of the river at the Yellow Pines campground. And earlier, even farther down at Cathedral Beach.
July 15, 2011 11:26AM
plawrence
get out of the river at the Yellow Pines campground. And earlier, even farther down at Cathedral Beach.
Yellow Pines?? Is that a defunct site?
July 15, 2011 11:31AM
hotrod4x5
plawrence
get out of the river at the Yellow Pines campground. And earlier, even farther down at Cathedral Beach.

No. It's still an active group campground. But it's usually reserved by groups closely connected to Yosemite. Volunteers working for the Yosemite Conservancy often camp there. I've seen it used year around, including in the middle of winter.
July 15, 2011 12:35PM
plawrence
hotrod4x5
plawrence

No. It's still an active group campground. But it's usually reserved by groups closely connected to Yosemite. Volunteers working for the Yosemite Conservancy often camp there. I've seen it used year around, including in the middle of winter.

Is it the campground labelled "Muir Tree" seen below just below and left of the center of the scanned image (from an old entrance station handout map)?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 12:42PM by szalkowski.
July 15, 2011 01:05PM
It appears so:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/YoseMaps#5561012284569149858

Another neat map is here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/YoseMaps#5568039070212136674
(include Bear Feeding Platform and Indian Caves)

This one has it on it:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/YoseMaps#5568040142076182866

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 01:18PM by chick-on.
July 15, 2011 02:10PM
chick-on
This one has it on it:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/YoseMaps#5568040142076182866

Did you notice that the dates on this map and the one that I scanned are the same (April 1968, Revised 1973)? The number on the lower right-hand corner is also the same (the trailing 6 got cut off when I cropped it).

The only differences are that campground name (Yellow Pine vs. Muir Tree) and the medical facility (Hospital vs. Clinic).

The NPS has to do more misdirection than that if they really want to trip up people. (Maybe that's what the switchback straightenings were meant to do.)
Marmot
July 18, 2011 02:34PM
Here's an older map (still shows the old gas station) of a portion of Yosemite Valley that clearly shows the location of the Yellow Pines campground:

July 15, 2011 01:15PM
That's very close, except the campground is between that camp road shown on the map and Southside drive (and not between the camp road and the Merced River to the north). You take the same side road off of Southside Drive that one takes for the Sentinel Beach picnic area, but then hang a left turn on the campground road to enter the Yellow Pines Group Campground instead of continuing on to the Sentinel Beach picnic area.

Besides the Yosemite Conversancy, other volunteer workgroups are permitted to camp there.

Here's a link to a volunteer work "expedition" offered by REI Adventures that will be staying in the Yellow Pines Campground this upcoming September. The cost of this "volunteer expedition" to Yosemite is $295 for five day/four nights: REI Adventures: 2011 Yosemite Volunteer Expedition
July 15, 2011 01:20PM
szalkowski
Is it the campground labelled "Muir Tree" seen below just below and left of the center of the scanned image (from an old entrance station handout map)?

I just want to note how "streamline" the Four Mile Trail was depicted back then. Not one single switchback at all on the trail!
July 15, 2011 01:37PM
plawrence
szalkowski

I just want to note how "streamline" the Four Mile Trail was depicted back then. Not one single switchback at all on the trail!

Snow Creek seems a bit straight as well.
July 15, 2011 01:46PM
szalkowski
plawrence
hotrod4x5
plawrence

Apparently it at one time in the early 70's was a "backpacker's campground", had to walk in to it.
July 18, 2011 11:25AM
Somewhat off topic question: Is the Yellow Pine that this campground is named after the same (now long dead) tree referred to here as "The Giant Yellow Pine of Yosemite": http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/cone-bearing_trees/western_yellow_pine.html (and also maybe here: http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/trees_of_yosemite/ponderosa_pine.html )?
July 15, 2011 01:58PM
plawrence
mtn man
chick-on

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

I recall even back in the 1990's one could legally float down past Sentinel Beach and get out of the river at the Yellow Pines campground. And earlier, even farther down at Cathedral Beach.

When they took out the El Capitan picnic area (the old one) which was right along the Merced (they relocated it to the north side of Northside Drive), the rafting concession had to find another place to take out their rafts. I think they used Cathedral picnic area first, but I could be wrong. For many years now they have used Sentinel picnic area. Definitely a shorter float ride than it used to be.
July 15, 2011 02:03PM
mtn man
For many years now they have used Sentinel picnic area.

Something to remember if one is planning a picnic.
July 15, 2011 02:14PM
eeek
mtn man
For many years now they have used Sentinel picnic area.

Something to remember if one is planning a picnic.

Good point. Yes that picnic area during raftng season is very busy with buses and large trucks picking up the rafts. For a quieter area in the Valley one might want to go to Cathedral or El Cap. picninc areas. Or just find a place to park and find your own spot along the Merced (don't forget the anti- mosquito stuff).
July 15, 2011 02:33PM
mtn man
Good point. Yes that picnic area during raftng season is very busy with buses and large trucks picking up the rafts. For a quieter area in the Valley one might want to go to Cathedral or El Cap. picninc areas. Or just find a place to park and find your own spot along the Merced (don't forget the anti- mosquito stuff).

Three weeks ago one could have rafted in Cathedral:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dsc_1684.jpg.html
July 15, 2011 04:29PM
mtn man
plawrence
mtn man
chick-on

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

The El Capitan picnic area was relocated off the Merced in 1992. The Muir Tree campground was closed around 1983.

When they took out the El Capitan picnic area (the old one) which was right along the Merced (they relocated it to the north side of Northside Drive), the rafting concession had to find another place to take out their rafts. I think they used Cathedral picnic area first, but I could be wrong. For many years now they have used Sentinel picnic area. Definitely a shorter float ride than it used to be.
July 15, 2011 08:52AM
chick-on

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

Dear Chick-on,
Bill-e-g can exit the river with the boat while you use your Model 007 strap-on, anti-drowning, safety apparatus
http://www.fireworkscrazy.co.uk/store/shopexd.asp?id=312
to continue on to El Cap.
(SinceYouDon'tFlySoGoodly Yours)
The Marmots

P.S. Also, see "A happier way to say goodbye": http://www.heavensabovefireworks.com/index.php/self_fired_rockets/
P.P.S. We know, silly chikin, but 'goodly' works so much better than 'wellly' in the valediction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 09:02AM by szalkowski.
July 15, 2011 11:28AM
For something different you could take your small boat and legally float down the South Fork of the Merced around Wawona. According to the NPS website, that's also permitted. The website isn't really clear about what constitutes "the Wawona area" though. Its exact quote:

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/water.htm

Rafting is also permitted on the South Fork of the Merced River in the Wawona area.
July 18, 2011 09:23AM
chick-on

Buzz kill

tanks for the info

I tried taking my raft out at the end and bushwacking around to get back in the river a few years ago. Ended up with a popped raft and 70 mosquito bites.
July 16, 2011 09:39PM
My wife and daughters rafted on Friday - They had a great time and there were some very nice views (that's true from anywhere in the Valley) but they felt it was a little short - It's billed as being 2 hours but you can easily get to Yellow Pines in less than 60 minutes
July 24, 2011 06:19PM
I bring my own raft...I usually do this in September. There are some very shallow parts, by this time of the year, so we pull the raft through, a few feet. I wonder if this year, the water level will be a bit higher in Sept..
July 24, 2011 10:57PM
Red Lipstick
I bring my own raft...I usually do this in September. There are some very shallow parts, by this time of the year, so we pull the raft through, a few feet. I wonder if this year, the water level will be a bit higher in Sept..
Basically they say the levels are a month behind. So in Sept, expect August conditions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login