Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Newbie day-hiking suggestions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Newbie day-hiking suggestions?
July 14, 2011 02:31PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a day-hike with some wow scenery this coming weekend. I went to Yosemite a few weeks ago and did the Four Mile, Panorama, Mist Trails and loved it with all the HUGE water flows. I was thinking Clouds Rest would be great based on suggestions here, but I called today for trail conditions and was told the lake outlet was still flooded waist-deep in places for 100 or so yards (and cold!) and quite snowy along the trail in places too, so I've given up on that. I was also thinking North Dome would be nice too. Any other suggestions you may offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for your help in the forums here. Your love of Yosemite really shows!
July 14, 2011 02:39PM
Depending on how close you want to stay to the Valley, I'm a big fan of the Chilnuana Falls hike down in the Wawona area. Depending on how fast you hike, how much time you hang at the top of the falls and whether you explore around the top of the falls (the trail continues on a long ways beyond the falls), that'll be anywhere from a few hours to a long day.

Since I usually go in May when the Tioga Road is rarely open (or only just open), I'm less familiar with the hikes up that way but North Dome is beautiful (and some of the most stunningly unique views of Half Dome you can find anywhere). I've not done a whole lot of North Rim hikes yet either but going up Yosemite Falls and beyond a ways would certainly give you stunning views (and a good work-out).
July 14, 2011 04:01PM
How about down to Waterwheel falls?
avatar Re: Newbie day-hiking suggestions?
July 14, 2011 04:03PM
hotrod4x5

And back up?
July 14, 2011 04:10PM
eeek
hotrod4x5

And back up?
LOL, well, of course. The beauty of that hike is it is great, even if you turn around at Glen Aulin.
July 14, 2011 04:12PM
hotrod4x5
eeek
hotrod4x5

And back up?
LOL, well, of course. The beauty of that hike is it is great, even if you turn around at Glen Aulin.

But at least start at Pothole Dome and avoid that long, dusty section.
July 14, 2011 04:21PM
eeek
hotrod4x5
eeek
hotrod4x5

And back up?

I keep reading about that as the starting point. But no one is giving descriptions. I googled and found nothing. I have only been down there once and started at the stables. Pothole dome is the dome at the west edge of the meadows, right? Is there a signed trail that you take from there that connects at some point to the GA trail?
July 14, 2011 04:23PM
hotrod4x5
eeek
hotrod4x5
eeek
hotrod4x5

And back up?

I keep reading about that as the starting point. But no one is giving descriptions. I googled and found nothing. I have only been down there once and started at the stables. Pothole dome is the dome at the west edge of the meadows, right? Is there a signed trail that you take from there that connects at some point to the GA trail?

There's no official trail. You just follow your nose.
July 14, 2011 04:50PM
Thanks for the replies. The scenery along the Tuolumne River looks amazing. Here's a linky I found with more linkies within the thread(s):

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39845,39845#msg-39845

Will put this one high on my consideration list. Would I be correct in assuming some mosquito deterrent would be a wise addition to my pack (and body)?
July 14, 2011 04:58PM
scubaham
Would I be correct in assuming some mosquito deterrent would be a wise addition to my pack (and body)?

Don't leave home without it!

Mosquito biting
July 14, 2011 05:13PM
Yes, mosquito repellent could come in REALLY handy.

If you're lucky they still might not be too bad this weekend because of the late start of summer this year in the Sierra. But in most years, by now (mid-July) they would be out in full and unquenchable force trying to suck every last ounce of blood from your body around Tuolumne Meadows and its environs. Not only would I bring a high quality mosquito repellant (like 3M Ultrathon) but I would usually be wearing a mosquito repellent hat, shirt and pants too.
July 15, 2011 06:49AM
Probably you found it. Here's a more direct link.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,26056,26353#msg-26353

There's a "trail" on the side of the river that the HSC camp is on too...
(but you'll really have to use your nose to find it)
(but how can you get lost w/ the river there?) (I'm sure people can figure it out though) (how to get lost)

So... you can avoid the trail entirely except for using the Twin Bridges to cross the river...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 14, 2011 06:56PM
I can confirm the difficulty of Clouds Rest from Tenaya until some more snow clears. Attempted it Fourth of July weekend. Thanks to some of the contributors here, I took my kayak to cross the creek. That worked out great -- it was waist deep or higher and described as "achy" by others on the trail. Lots of snow on the trail -- easy enough to hike with poles, but the snow obscured the trail in too many places. We lost it and then backtracked to it, then caught up with a group that had spent an hour and half wandering off of it and then finding it again. We decided against joining the Donner Party and headed back to take on a different hike.
July 14, 2011 07:03PM
Hiker Dad
We decided against joining the Donner Party and headed back to take on a different hike.

Good thinking.
(Vegetarianly Yours)
The Marmots
July 14, 2011 08:35PM
NOrth Dome from Porcupine Flat. It has some great views from Indian Ridge and North Dome...and is about ten miles total? A great hike

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
July 15, 2011 12:08AM
The best value hikes are arguably Sentinel/Taft. In no more than 30 minutes, you get tremendous views. Sentinel, especially. Near-unobstructed panorama view of the Clark Range peaks; Starr King; Half Dome; Tenaya Canyon; Nevada Falls; less famous sights such as Lehamite Falls, El Cap, etc etc etc.

In some sense, it does feel like cheating. It's requires too little effort for such a viewpoint, lol. To North Dome from Porcupine, for instance, you do get a reasonable workout.
July 15, 2011 08:55AM
You are right, Bill. But judging from what they hiked last time, I thought they were looking for a bit more adventure...and a few more miles.

Taft Point Sentinel Dome is stunning...and you can always extend it to Dewey Point, which has the best view of all!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 11, 2011 12:16PM
Let me get this straight--
Of the two twin "breast domes"...
North Dome is on the West and X-Dome (I cannot find the name) is on the East?
August 11, 2011 01:34PM
Are you thinking of Basket Dome?
August 11, 2011 09:52PM
parklover

That's it! I will commit this name to memory. Thank you!
August 11, 2011 11:02PM
parklover

speaking of Basket Dome, my party of two decided to abandon this portion of the day hike. Didn't feel like scrambling down through the trees. Next time...
August 11, 2011 01:45PM
Personally, I loved the Panorama Trail. I shuttled to the top of Glacier Point (about $15-$20 bucks a person, at the time) and hiked down. My knees hated comming down the John Muir (the last stretch of the Panorama meets Muir Trail), however. The switchbacks downward are killer, but still a beautiful hike and for the most part, an "easy" hike.

My son was about 7-years-old, at the time and I was over weight back then, so we took it slow(took over 8 hours to hike down). I saw younger kids (about 20ish) blow past us and I'd catch up seeing them bent over with altitude sickness. The thin air, is what makes it a bit exerting, so bring plenty of water.

Now that I am thin, and in better shape, I'd like to do it again. I still wouldn't rush the hike, I consider it a day thing, so I want to take it all in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 01:47PM by Red Lipstick.
August 11, 2011 02:01PM
Red Lipstick

Personally, I loved the Panorama Trail. I shuttled to the top of Glacier Point (about $15-$20 bucks a person, at the time) and hiked down. My knees hated comming down the John Muir (the last stretch of the Panorama meets Muir Trail), however. The switchbacks downward are killer, but still a beautiful hike and for the most part, an "easy" hike.

My son was about 7-years-old, at the time and I was over weight back then, so we took it slow(took over 8 hours to hike down). I saw younger kids (about 20ish) blow past us and I'd catch up seeing them bent over with altitude sickness. The thin air, is what makes it a bit exerting, so bring plenty of water.

Now that I am thin, and in better shape, I'd like to do it again. I still wouldn't rush the hike, I consider it a day thing, so I want to take it all in.

If you're fit enough now, you could save money and hike up to Glacier Point via the Four Mile Trail and then back down to the Valley via the Panorama Trail. Or reverse it and hike up via the Mist Trail and Panorama Trail and then back down via the Four Mile Trail.
August 12, 2011 12:39PM
Plawrence, I would do that, but I think my son would protest it and I know my husband would, because of the climb. My only concern is packing enough water, I need a purifier. I have a weak back and know it sounds like excuses, but it controls a lot of what I will and will not do. I hike 3 Xs a week (local hills/mountains in Southern Cali), but nothing too crazy. I was thinking about the 4-mile, just going up and comming back down, but my husbnand and son are babies. My husband is not a camper and he may go this year. It will be all I can do to get him up to Vernal and Nevada, no joke.

My son is 16 now, and he wants to do Half Dome (I still haven't done that after the 11 or 12 years I've been going to YNP), but I am extremely introverted (so is he, actually) and the idea of waiting in a line to face my fear of heights doesn't thrill me. I guess I could leave early, to beat crowds. My son is extremely thin and physically fit (except for the scoliosis that he inherited from me), but complains on 2 hour easy hikes in the mountains. Not the trooper of his younger years...so, I don't see how he'd want to do Half Dome.
I've thought about getting a permit to camp in Little Yosemite Valley, but that would mean, we'd have to carry more stuff on our backs.

Kinda sad because I told my son (when he was 7, he was dreaming of Hlaf Dome), I told him we would hike it when he was 16. Now the time is here and I have my apprehensions, I'm just trying to keep it real. I confronted my son about his lack of motivation of day-to-day hikes and I discussed with him that Half Dome is something I would personally train for. I guess it's time to sh!t or get off the pot.
August 12, 2011 01:30PM
About Half Dome: last night I sat in for the last half of a talk about Half Dome by Rick Deutsch, "Mr. Half Dome", at my local REI. Hearing him speak about the hike, he made it sound very doable if you properly prepare yourself for it, including hiking up a lot of hills beforehand to help you prepare yourself for the extreme elevation gain. The cable portion of the hike he didn't describe as overly tough if you use the proper technique going up and down the cables.

He highly recommended the Atlas 370 Nitrile Gloves for going up and down the Half Dome cables. They're available at Ace Hardware Stores and also on Amazon.com.

If you're concern about staying hydrated on the Mist Trail - Panaroma Trail - Four Mile Trail loop, I would suggest you do the loop going up the Mist Trail and then down the Four Mile Trail, and then just take along a lightweight water filter along with your 1-liter water bottles or hydration pack. There's ample opportunities to refill your water bottles (or hydration packs) from Happy Isle all the way to Glacier Point via the Mist Trail and Panorama Trail. So once your at Glacier Point, you'll only need to carry enough water to last you going downhill via the Four Mile Trail (just a liter or two per person, at most would be required going downhill from Glacier Point to the Valley Floor via the Four Mile Trail).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 01:31PM by plawrence.
August 12, 2011 03:08PM
Thanks for the advice, Plawrence. I will keep those things in mind, especially the gloves. I've wondered about what kind to get.

I feel like a baby, but it trips me out, that people(not typical hikers) wake up one morning and decide to do Half Dome, like it's no big deal. I am pretty lean and fit, but definately not prepped for that hike. I look at it like a marathon training, I don't take it lightly. I'm a mother, so I guess that's why I see the potential hazards of being unprepared. The cluster of deaths, that have recently happened, makes me that much more aware, I guess. It is something I'd like to do...maybe next year. I wish I knew of another woman that likes to hike and tent camp, as much as I do, but that seems to be a dying thing. My dog is about the only loyal hiking buddy I have, but he's getting old and Yosemite is limiting on dogs (unless it brings them revenue like mules and horses), but I won't go there.

Sorry, I'm rambling. smiling smiley
August 12, 2011 03:14PM
Red Lipstick

I wish I knew of another woman that likes to hike and tent camp, as much as I do, but that seems to be a dying thing.

There are actually number of them active in this forum. Don't worry, you're not the only one, though it might at times feel that way.
August 15, 2011 10:08AM
plawrence
Red Lipstick

I wish I knew of another woman that likes to hike and tent camp, as much as I do, but that seems to be a dying thing.

There are actually number of them active in this forum. Don't worry, you're not the only one, though it might at times feel that way.

Here I am. Out there every weekend. Tend to spend most of my hikes with other women's husbands, tho there are a growing number of women in my hiking group - last weekend I spent two nights in Dinkey Lakes in the company of four women and three men. This weekend I will be back out there for SAR training.
August 11, 2011 02:09PM
Red Lipstick
My knees hated comming down the John Muir (the last stretch of the Panorama meets Muir Trail), however. The switchbacks downward are killer

I like taking the connector trail down to the top of Vernal. Mostly because I love this view:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dscn4999.jpg.html

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dscn4998.jpg.html
August 12, 2011 09:13PM
I took Muir in the morning on my way to HD simply because I had no interest in taking a shower when climbing Vernal (on way down, looking forward to it). I thought there were some good views on my way to Nevada (and while mileage was longer, time likely the same).

Morning to HD

I loved this portion of the walk. It reminded me of the weeping wall on the Going to the Sun Road (however, rather than doing it by car, you do it by foot). You can see the water falling from the rock wall in the far end of the photo. Also great pic of Nevada, Liberty cap & HD can be taken from the trail.

August 13, 2011 07:12AM
Jalan
I loved this portion of the walk. It reminded me of the weeping wall on the Going to the Sun Road (however, rather than doing it by car, you do it by foot). You can see the water falling from the rock wall in the far end of the photo. Also great pic of Nevada, Liberty cap & HD can be taken from the trail.

I love this section as well. An especially nice moment is the extreme contrast you get at the point where you transition from the open area at the top of Nevada Falls into the woods beyond. I usually take Mist up and Muir down so I think of this spot as going from the roaring majesty of Nevada to the almost fairyland quiet of the woods into which you enter (although in heavy spring melts, there's a bit of furor in fairyland, too!). I imagine that the effect of going in the opposite direction is equally impressive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login