Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Campground Reservation Email Warning re: check-in

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Campground Reservation Email Warning re: check-in
July 14, 2011 03:18PM
Received the following email today about our campground reservations (going next week). Seems like they are making an effort to stop the scalping, but doesn't say what will happen if ID doesn't match the reaervation.... Also includes individual campground phone numbers if anyone is interested.

New check-in policy implemented in Yosemite

To prevent scalping of camping permits in Yosemite, a new policy is now in effect: The customer or primary occupant of the site named on the camping permit must be the person checking in at the park. Photo Identification is now required when checking in.

If you have any questions, please call your specific campground office directly:

Upper Pines/Lower Pines/North Pines: (209) 372-8502
Hodgdon Meadow/Crane Flat: (209) 379-2123
Wawona/Bridalveil Creek: (209) 375-9535
Tuolumne Meadows: (209) 372-4025.

We hope you enjoy your stay in Yosemite!

This communication was sent to you as you have made a reservation on Recreation.gov. Click here to unsubscribe. You may also mail us a removal request to Privacy Officer, Recreation.gov Customer Service, 40 South St., Ballston Spa, NY 12020

July 14, 2011 03:34PM
When we went last month, I had to show my ID.
July 14, 2011 04:56PM
This went into effect June 8...had to show my ID on June 11.

I got an email from the NPS about the missing hiker (June 17) and if I had any info about his disappearance, just based on reservation records, I suppose.
avatar Re: Campground Reservation Email Warning re: check-in
July 14, 2011 05:49PM
Yes, I have read about showing ID. Just thought it odd that they sent a random email out and was wondering if something happened to cause that. I suppose we did make our reservations before the new rules went into effect, and perhaps people are still showing up without matching names and IDs.

I was also wondering what they do to all those people who have been buying off scalpers (or getting from a friend who can't go and didn't know the new rules) and who show up without matching IDs. Do they go or stay?
July 14, 2011 06:54PM
robinjayp
I was also wondering what they do to all those people who have been buying off scalpers (or getting from a friend who can't go and didn't know the new rules) and who show up without matching IDs. Do they go or stay?

Perhaps something like this?

July 14, 2011 07:27PM
Buh-bye (probably no love though).
I'll report back if I find out after my trip next week. I always like to chat it up with the campground rangers.
July 14, 2011 07:56PM
eeek
robinjayp

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
July 14, 2011 08:09PM
y_p_w
eeek
robinjayp

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I think so, Brain. But won't that make the park smell bad?
July 14, 2011 07:58PM
So that's what they mean my "campground reservation office"? I was under the impression that they meant checkin was at the main campground office by Curry Village. So when they move to reservations not being put back into the online system, the reservations are made by calling one of those numbers directly?
July 14, 2011 08:12PM
The kiosks are normally staffed by volunteers who are usually retirees. I can't imagine that they would be handling anything other than reservation check in and misc. questions. The kiosks are usually manned only from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm and sometimes not even then.

I would think changes and reservation rebooking would be through the main campground office in the Curry Village parking lot.
July 14, 2011 08:15PM
robinjayp
The kiosks are usually manned only from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm and sometimes not even then.

My last stay in Upper Pines I never saw the kiosk manned. In fact the only evidence I ever had that the volunteers even existed was a nasty note they left me for not checking in. Went to the kiosk to check in during the hours on the note and still found it deserted.
July 14, 2011 08:22PM
eeek
robinjayp
The kiosks are usually manned only from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm and sometimes not even then.

My last stay in Upper Pines I never saw the kiosk manned. In fact the only evidence I ever had that the volunteers even existed was a nasty note they left me for not checking in. Went to the kiosk to check in during the hours on the note and still found it deserted.
Wow, that is the opposite of my experience. There was always someone there, and often times two people.
July 14, 2011 08:49PM
Huh? At Tuolumne Meadows when I've arrived nobody's there any longer, and the kiosk has a posted list of who's been assigned to which campsite. Of course, if I were staying longer than one night ID could be checked, but generally my TM reservations are when I'm planning to backpack the next day and would prefer my own site instead of setting up camp wherever in the backpackers campground.
July 14, 2011 09:02PM
ttilley
Huh? At Tuolumne Meadows when I've arrived nobody's there any longer, and the kiosk has a posted list of who's been assigned to which campsite. Of course, if I were staying longer than one night ID could be checked, but generally my TM reservations are when I'm planning to backpack the next day and would prefer my own site instead of setting up camp wherever in the backpackers campground.
Are you saying the Tuolumne Meadows campground has no check in people?
July 14, 2011 09:04PM
hotrod4x5
ttilley
No. I'm saying that if I leave the Bay Area at 2:30, by the time I reach TM the checkin-people are no longer there, and the checkin is posted on the kiosk window.
July 14, 2011 09:14PM
ttilley
hotrod4x5
ttilley
No. I'm saying that if I leave the Bay Area at 2:30, by the time I reach TM the checkin-people are no longer there, and the checkin is posted on the kiosk window.
Oh ya, that makes sense. I assume it is manned from 10-4 just like in the valley.
July 15, 2011 08:45AM
ttilley
hotrod4x5
ttilley

I think you are talking about past history as the campground this year doesn't open until today. You may find check in different this year due to the recent changes.
July 15, 2011 09:00AM
eeek
robinjayp

This is the opposite of my experience at Upper Pines. The kiosk was always manned during the daylight hours; most times it was manned by two people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login