Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Permits Without a Reservation

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Half Dome Permits Without a Reservation
July 14, 2011 05:31PM
This just in:

B/c of under-use, we’ll be releasing about 50 Half Dome permits daily at 7 am PDT for use the following day.

http://twitter.com/YosemiteNPS/status/91665387866955776
avatar Re: Half Dome Permits Without a Reservation
July 14, 2011 05:34PM
Translation: This is out interim solution to the fact that so many permits are being unused because they are stuck in the hands of scalpers instead of the hands of people who will actually use them.
July 14, 2011 05:36PM
Also lots of people grab permits for several days with the intent of only using one of those days. So it's no surprise that a lot go unused.
July 15, 2011 12:10AM
That's really too bad. Never anticipated that this would become so problematic. It just shows what can happen to free enterprise when things fall into the wrong hands. As we've seen from the crooks in the financial sector.
July 14, 2011 05:40PM
Time to start posting it on craigslist, so potential buyers will stay away from scalpers
July 14, 2011 05:43PM
sactown23
Time to start posting it on craigslist, so potential buyers will stay away from scalpers

I just knew you would. winking smiley
July 14, 2011 05:49PM
How do they have any idea that 50 are going to be unused? They are just guessing I suppose.
July 14, 2011 05:52PM
The NPS website has a page dedicated to this. Glad that they are addressing the scalping issue in favor of the general public.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

Updated July 14, 2011
Initial hiker counts for this season indicate that there are numerous no shows among Half Dome permit holders. In an effort to make up for these no shows, the National Park Service (NPS) will manually release additional Half Dome permits each day, at 7 am PDT on the day before the permit date. For instance, at 7 am on Friday, additional permits will become available online (recommended) and through the call center at Recreation.gov for use on Saturday. This will continue throughout the summer until further notice.

NPS will initially release an additional 50 Half Dome permits each day and then adjust these numbers, either up or down, throughout the season based upon ongoing hiker counts.These additional permits will have $1.50 processing fee and be limited to purchases of four at a time. Unlike the earlier Half Dome permits, these are non transferable. To counter the illegal resale of Half Dome permits, the group leader, whose name is recorded at the time of transaction, must accompany his or her group on their Half Dome hike. Once the permit transaction is completed, the group leader’s name cannot be changed.

The day-before-release method was chosen to counter both illegal resale of permits and speculative buying by the general public. While purchasing a permit the day before does not allow as much advance notice as many people may wish, it should put permits in the hands of hikers who will use them.

While permits are not available in the park or on a first-come, first-served basis, canceled permits may be available until midnight the evening before the hiking day through Recreation.gov. If you have a permit that you won't use, please cancel it so others may use it. (You may cancel your permit as late as midnight the evening before the hiking day.)

If you are unable to hike Half Dome for any reason (including weather, cables not available, illness, etc.) on the day you have a permit, we will not be able to provide a permit for a different date.
avatar Half Dome Permits - Update
July 14, 2011 05:50PM
Actually a reservation for a Half Dome Permit is still required.

The change is that the Park Service will be releasing ONLINE (or by phone), through Recreation.Gov at 7:00 AM, 50 additional Half Dome Permits valid for the next day. You still need to obtain the Half Dome Permit ONLINE (or by phone). But now you can try to secure one at 7:00 AM the day before your planned hike.

Here are the official details:

NPS.GOV/YOSE

Half Dome Permits

Permits to hike to the top of Half Dome are now required seven days per week when the cables are up. This is an interim measure to increase safety along the cables while the park develops a long-term plan to manage use on the Half Dome Trail.

A maximum of 400 permits will be issued each of these days (300 of these permits are available to day hikers). (Before the permit system was implemented in 2010, about 400 people used this trail on weekdays, while about 800 people used this trail on weekends and holidays, on average.)

Updated July 14, 2011
Initial hiker counts for this season indicate that there are numerous no shows among Half Dome permit holders. In an effort to make up for these no shows, the National Park Service (NPS) will manually release additional Half Dome permits each day, at 7 am PDT on the day before the permit date. For instance, at 7 am on Friday, additional permits will become available online (recommended) and through the call center at Recreation.gov for use on Saturday. This will continue throughout the summer until further notice.

NPS will initially release an additional 50 Half Dome permits each day and then adjust these numbers, either up or down, throughout the season based upon ongoing hiker counts.These additional permits will have $1.50 processing fee and be limited to purchases of four at a time. Unlike the earlier Half Dome permits, these are non transferable. To counter the illegal resale of Half Dome permits, the group leader, whose name is recorded at the time of transaction, must accompany his or her group on their Half Dome hike. Once the permit transaction is completed, the group leader’s name cannot be changed.

The day-before-release method was chosen to counter both illegal resale of permits and speculative buying by the general public. While purchasing a permit the day before does not allow as much advance notice as many people may wish, it should put permits in the hands of hikers who will use them.

While permits are not available in the park or on a first-come, first-served basis, canceled permits may be available until midnight the evening before the hiking day through Recreation.gov. If you have a permit that you won't use, please cancel it so others may use it. (You may cancel your permit as late as midnight the evening before the hiking day.)

Yosemite National Park: Half Dome Permits
Re: Half Dome Permits - Update
July 14, 2011 05:53PM
So people who bring computers or have smart phones will have the advantage since I doubt a lot of people will be getting a permit today, and driving up today to climb tomorrow. Some, but not many I am guessing.
avatar Re: Half Dome Permits - Update
July 14, 2011 05:57PM
Or the internet kiosks will be flooded with people checking for permits. There are only five or so by the deli and sometimes there is bit of a wait (looking for jobs, not surfing smiling smiley)

How do you print out the permit though? I don't recall any printers by the kiosks. Supposed to have one printed per person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 09:22PM by robinjayp.
July 14, 2011 06:00PM
You have to print them? Oh jeez, how is this gonna work?
July 15, 2011 09:51AM
hotrod4x5
You have to print them? Oh jeez, how is this gonna work?

I understand it that these hikers will NOT need printed copies of the permits. You should take your permit number from the reservation and the ranger checking the permits wil have a list of names along with a permit number. The ranger will know these permits are part of the 50 because they are the only ones required to be in the same name as the hiker.
July 14, 2011 07:19PM
This is really good news. All evidence I saw suggested the cables were being under-utilized meaning the system over corrected the over crowding problems. This really should make almost everyone happy----except for the scalpers.
July 14, 2011 07:33PM
I wonder for those with smart phones, while I'm taking a paper copy, do you think the rangers will accept a pdf shown on your phone? It's the electronic equivalent of a print out.

Just pondering, since they (Reservations) can email a confirmation letter....

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
July 14, 2011 07:54PM
enlightphoto
I wonder for those with smart phones, while I'm taking a paper copy, do you think the rangers will accept a pdf shown on your phone? It's the electronic equivalent of a print out.

Just pondering, since they (Reservations) can email a confirmation letter....

Not all that related, but I remember a few months ago, Chipotle Mexican Grill was running some 2 for 1 coupon offer. One just had to view a short video and then could print up a coupon with a confirmation number. From what I heard, nobody ever really checked for the confirmation number (hint, hint) to see it it might have been a duplicate.

However - when I was using my coupon, I saw someone in line with a smart phone who had the coupon on his screen and tried to show it to the cashier. The cashier said that they were required to collect a physical piece of paper in order to fulfill the offer.

As for the new HD permit process, I think the target is really for people living within a day's drive to be able to get a HD permit. Of course the non-transferrability will be a no-go for the scalpers, the one day notice means people will more likely only target the days they can actually make and scalpers won't likely have enough time to sell and arrange payment.
July 14, 2011 08:21PM
Two guys were selling Half Dome permits today outside the Mobil Gas Station on 395 in Lee Vining. This is where the Whoa Nellie cafe is located. I couldn't believe it! They just were standing there brazenly asking $50 for one permit. I didn't see anyone stopping to buy them.
July 14, 2011 10:08PM
Ulysses61
Two guys were selling Half Dome permits today outside the Mobil Gas Station on 395 in Lee Vining. This is where the Whoa Nellie cafe is located. I couldn't believe it! They just were standing there brazenly asking $50 for one permit. I didn't see anyone stopping to buy them.

It's like trying to sell one of those print at home tickets at a sporting event. I've actually seen scalpers attempting to do just that. The risk is that someone may have printed up multiple copies and will try to sell more than one copy.

Anyone who would buy that is an imbecile.

And speaking of "Whoa Nellie!":

http://www.lostlettermen.com/7-14-2011-keith-jackson-retirement-catch-phrase/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 10:11PM by y_p_w.
July 15, 2011 01:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login