Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Glen Aulin to May lake to Sunrise lake to cathedral lake - Possible route?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glen Aulin to May lake to Sunrise lake to cathedral lake - Possible route?
July 16, 2011 08:43AM
I'm planning my husband's and I's first trip to Yosemite. I wanted to backpack from Glen Aulin to May lake to Sunrise Lakes to Cathedral Lakes back to Tuolumne in 4 days/3 nights. My husband and I are fast hikers so I think that is plenty of time. But I was wondering if it is possible to go from May lake to Sunrise Lakes? On the map, the route looks like it connects. I appreciate any advice.
Oh, I forgot to add we are going in August 2012.
If it's not possible, does does anyone have other suggested backpacking routes?
avatar Re: Glen Aulin to May lake to Sunrise lake to cathedral lake - Possible route?
July 16, 2011 09:39AM
aggie5976
I'm planning my husband's and I's first trip to Yosemite. I wanted to backpack from Glen Aulin to May lake to Sunrise Lakes to Cathedral Lakes back to Tuolumne in 4 days/3 nights. My husband and I are fast hikers so I think that is plenty of time. But I was wondering if it is possible to go from May lake to Sunrise Lakes? On the map, the route looks like it connects. I appreciate any advice.

It's not a problem. The route that you have outlined follows the HSC (High Sierra Camp) trails. Daily hiking would be in the 6-8 miles range for each of the four days.

I presume that you are planning on camping at/near Glen Aulin the first night, May Lake the second, and Sunrise Lakes the third (passing, not camping at, Cathedral Lakes while exiting the wilderness on the last day).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 09:41AM by szalkowski.
That's exactly my planned route. So crossing the Tioga road from May lakes to get to Sunrise lakes won't be a problem?
Is there any other recommended 4 day/3 night hikes around Tioga Road that would be less crowded? After some research, it looks like the route may be pretty crowded.
avatar Re: Glen Aulin to May lake to Sunrise lake to cathedral lake - Possible route?
July 16, 2011 01:53PM
aggie5976
Is there any other recommended 4 day/3 night hikes around Tioga Road that would be less crowded? After some research, it looks like the route may be pretty crowded.

There will be other hikers but limited permits will keep it from being crowded.

Old Dude
aggie5976
That's exactly my planned route. So crossing the Tioga road from May lakes to get to Sunrise lakes won't be a problem?

Crossing the road to continue on a trail isn't a problem. Turning and walking down the road, getting on a bus, etc would mean the end of your wilderness permit and you would have to get another to legally re-enter the wilderness, legally speaking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login