Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Looking for up to date trail info - JMT Red's Meadow to Happy Isles

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Looking for up to date trail info - JMT Red's Meadow to Happy Isles
July 18, 2011 07:30AM
Hi there!

Been reading these boards off and on an think you folks are a pretty good source of info. I'd like to tap into your collective resources. We are heading out to do the last 60 or so miles of the North end of the JMT in a few days. We are going in at Red's Meadow and heading North (easier to get a permit). I wanted to pose a few questions...

-Does anyone know of where we can find updated trail info. Most postings (Inyo NF; YNP; various PCT journals) are well over a week old now.

-Stream flows seem to be dropping....but then again SJ valley temperatures have been lower than normal. As the air heats up again will the melt gain pace and substatially raise water levels again or have we passed the days of peak flow? Walking in water is not that big of a deal unless its moving really fast.

-Which HSC are actually open? We were thinking of doing a side trip up to Vogelsang (up Ireland creek, down Rafferty) because we have been up and down Lyell canyon between those two trail heads several times. WDoes anyone know anything about the snow cover on those trails?

-We gave ourselves a lot of time on our permit (we have 11 days to do a trip we could easily do in 5 if the conditions were ideal) so we could have layover days, explore and fish. Any recommendations for places to see or camp? We are not peak baggers nor are ice axe experts but we do have some snow experience, are very fit, and have decent map & compass skills. We hike with poles cause we like 'em.

Have not been to the very end of Lyell canyon...do we have to ford the river at any place or is there only one bridged crossing?

Have you heard anything about Rush Creek?

Thanks in advance for any info....love reading your posts.

Riverkat

"I'm only 48 on paper"
avatar Re: Looking for up to date trail info - JMT Red's Meadow to Happy Isles
July 18, 2011 09:57AM
End of Lyell Canyon up to Donohue Pass in order, i.e. going south

1st crossing is bridged about half way up, camping spots nearby
---1st crossing
---crossing 1st bridge

2nd crossing is not bridged, at the outlet of a lake with rocks to hop across, at high water this might be a problem
---2nd crossing, rocks, valley, trail
---low water, you can see the rocks to hop on

3rd crossing is not bridged, just before the final climb to the pass, I don't think this will be a problem, this is high enough up the drainage that the only water is coming straight off Lyell Glacier
---3rd crossing, look at prev/next picts for area around crossing

ymmv, it's been quite a few years since I was last up there.
Tioga Lake, Lyell Canyon and Mt Lyell attempt - Sep 11-14, 2003

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 10:12AM by qumqats.
July 18, 2011 11:16AM
So you are worried about Rush? And not Minaret and Shadow?
Me tinks there is a reason the PCT and JMT splits in this area...
Have you called Inyo and asked about those creeks?

The wifies fav-o-rite trip last year was a portion of what you are doing... but mostly it was due to
completely avoiding the JMT from 1000 to Donahue Pass. And then later getting off the
trail and poking around west of Lyell Canyon.
Conditions at the moment I would assume to be similar:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/ParkerDonahue
I'd recommend the route we took cause it was a blast... but I guess you have to mark off the trail.
O well...
"Many" PCTers will avoid the Lyell crossings entirely... but they were no biggie last year...

We crossed Rush via snow bridge last year... and was waaaay off the trail at the point..

Have fun... you have so much time... sorry can't help more

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 11:18AM by chick-on.
July 18, 2011 11:27AM
chick-on
So you are worried about Rush? And not Minaret and Shadow?
Me tinks there is a reason the PCT and JMT splits in this area...
Have you called Inyo and asked about those creeks?

I guess we worried about Rush because that is all we heard mentioned on the PCT journals...given that the PCT and the JMT diverge in this area, that might be the reason. Guess we will have to ask when we get our permit, but thanks for the heads up so I know to ask... Perhaps if it's too nasty we can work up to the PCT somehow...
July 18, 2011 11:32AM
chick-on
Conditions at the moment I would assume to be similar:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/ParkerDonahue
I'd recommend the route we took cause it was a blast... but I guess you have to mark off the trail.
O well...

Your pictures are beautiful....do you recall the approximate dates of your trip?
July 18, 2011 11:39AM
For Picasa, if you are looking at an individual photo you can see the info on the right.
In direct response: July 2-6, 2010

w/r to Minaret and Shadow... Can guarantee you ppl have gone up to Ediza by now for one.
Thing is... I don't doubt snow bridges come into play. So timing always plays a factor.
You'll have lots of company out there.

Hope you are able to complete your JMT section.
Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login