Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Anyone ever been to this place? The chamber/amphitheater.....

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Anyone ever been to this place? The chamber/amphitheater.....
July 22, 2011 08:54AM
of Ribbon Falls.

as per this link (it's my Flicker page)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/5954072853/in/photostream

I've been fascinated by the photographic potential of this extremely high-walled chamber since I can remember, but have never taken the time to actually hoof it up to and into it, and I thought it likely no one else had documented doing so, until I found out that a friend of my g/f HAD done so and in slightly spectacular fashion QT Luong took the time and actually got fantastic shots not only upwards, but outwards, looking due south, towards Cathedral Rocks.

http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.yosemite.2.html

Anyone else here ever taken that short-looking hike up into it? I know, I know, Chick-On probably pitched a tent there in mid January, but does anyone know of any other pics from inside of it?

Thanks!
avatar Re: Anyone ever been to this place? The chamber/amphitheater.....
July 22, 2011 11:12AM
Not me. wherever, probably.

Only from above:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Ribbon#5464441809614430626
It's one of those deals where people look at Ribbon and don't even realize it's like that.
Heck, how many times have you looked at El Cap and K P Pinnacle just melts right into it?
I'm guilty on that one. Here's K P:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/CraneCreek#5573998659907963138

Love these type of queries...
(now I want to go too) smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 22, 2011 03:47PM
chick-on
Not me. wherever, probably.

Love these type of queries...
(now I want to go too) smiling smiley

Not me, either, but it's been on my list. The problem is to be in the Valley during the right conditions. It's icy in Winter, full of cold spray in the early Spring, boiling in the sun in the summer, and the waterfall is dried up in the Fall.

It ought to be perfect right about now, if the falls haven't dried up yet, and you if pick a day for the hike up there that's not too hot.
July 22, 2011 12:22PM
I havent been myself, but have wanted to go since I read this write-up.

http://terragalleria.com/blog/2010/08/12/yosemite-unseen-i-ribbon-fall/

Yosemite unseen I: Ribbon Fall

Posted on August 12, 2010, 6:57 pm, by QT Luong, under New images, Trips.

I have been spending quite a bit of time in Yosemite, and posting quite a few images for a project I’ll talk about later. To celebrate its completion, for the rest of the summer, I will be describing a few Yosemite locations that I visited recently. Their common characteristic is that they are out of the beaten path, yet each of them offers truly unique sights. I’ll start with a trilogy of “wilderness hikes” in Yosemite Valley, and then highlight a few high country locations.

Plunging from a cliff west of El Capitan for 1,612 feet (491m), Ribbon Fall is the tallest single-drop waterfall in North America. Yosemite Falls is considered higher (2,425 feet), but it consists of three sections, whereas Ribbon Fall is a continuous waterfall.

Another reason why Ribbon Fall is unique in Yosemite is that it flows into a high amphitheater of vertical cliffs to which you can hike, so that you would be standing right at the base of the fall, looking up directly at the amazing drop.

Hiking there feels almost like a wilderness experience, something so rare in the Valley. For the whole afternoon, I didn’t see anybody there. The rangers told me that there is no trail to the base of Ribbon Fall, so I didn’t look for one, heading straight up the slope on the right bank of Ribbon Creek. As the forest undergrowth is relatively sparse, I didn’t really need to do any bushwhacking, taking maybe two hours to reach the fall. The terrain was quite steep, but not exposed, being located entirely in the forest, with no cliffs. However, on the way down, I found a relatively nice user trail, well marked with cairns. To catch it, park on a pull out off the main loop road, a short distance West of El Capitan Meadow, then walk to the very end of the left (W) branch of the forestry road, and you’ll see a cairn marking the beginning of the trail.

Although it was quite warm in the Valley, I packed a sweatshirt and a light rain jacket, in case of a drop in temperature at the base. This drop was way more than what I expected. It got so cold, wet, and windy that I almost became hypothermic as I was waiting for the wind to blow in a different direction. The constant spray made it difficult to get a sharp image. When the wind would ease a bit, I’d point quickly the camera for a single shot, after which the lens would be soaked. I held as long as I could, more than one hour, then decided to leave the amphitheater when I began to shiver in an uncontrolled way.

If I was to come back, I’d start earlier in the day (the fall is best lit at noon), and pack a mountaineering-grade shell and a fleece jacket. Note that Ribbon Fall is seasonal, like Yosemite Fall, so you’ll probably have to wait until next spring to try this hike.
July 22, 2011 01:39PM
I'm thinking of trying it next year. I read the above account and thought that it wouldn't something I'd want to do because of getting soaking wet but a photo of Ribbon Falls I took on July 8 makes me think otherwise.

http://panoramas.aa6g.org/DeweyPoint/RibbonFalls.html

The cloud of mist that there was back in early June is gone and most of the bottom of the falls looks dry but there's still enough water to be interesting. I noted that the Merced River dropped below 8' in its daily cycle on that day. I'm going to use that as a "time to go" indicator next year.

I tried to find the cairn mentioned in above account twice this past June but was unable to find it. I figure it must be between where the park people cut up wood and the end of the Old Big Oak Flat Rd pavement. I poked around a bit and found a spot that looks possible to walk up. I found a ribbon about 100' in so I'm betting that's the place.

Panoramic Images - http://panoramas.aa6g.org/
July 22, 2011 02:05PM
Look on the climbing sites for the approach to Gold Wall, a popular climbing area just to the west of Ribbon Falls. For example:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/ribbon-falls-ampitheater/106131082
or
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/gold-wall/106770446
or
http://yosemitebigwall.com/report/gold-wall-big-trundlerattempt
July 23, 2011 12:10PM
Thanks to all. As usual, fantastic information. Unfortunately, the next time I'm likely in the park will be Labor Day, as we got a tent cabin for two days at......Tuolumne.

Argh. Decisions, decision.
September 11, 2011 07:38PM
One of the two best places in/around the valley that I know of.
September 12, 2011 11:28AM
grant1
One of the two best places in/around the valley that I know of.
im interested to hear the other one
September 12, 2011 11:57AM
The cave under Upper Falls in winter.Spend the night in the cave then get up early morning and walk a safe distance away.Wait for the sun to hit the huge ice slabs that form overnight.When they come crashing down it gets very cold,very windy, and really noisy.A real treat.
September 12, 2011 01:55PM
Been there a few times, last time last year in April. It doesn't take too long to get up there, about an hour or so. Pretty straight forward, just parallel the creek drainage mostly. It's a little steep and sometimes slick from all the leaves on the ground. It gets a little bush-whacky at times, especially near the base, but nothing too bad. Park either at the far end of El Cap Meadow or the pull-out that goes to the woodlot just beyond the meadow. Ribbon Creek is in between the two, though you'll probably want to hike on the west side of the creek. It isn't too cold up there either unless you get right in the wind from the waterfall, but I would bring appropriate gear with you. You can see my friend in his t-shirt up there with the snow cone. But that is low(er) flow, I imagine at full run-off it would get pretty wet/cold there, so I would go early spring when the flow isn't as high and the valley isn't hot.

View out to the valley and cathedral rocks

September 12, 2011 02:44PM
Sweet! Tanks for sharon.

September 13, 2011 05:14PM
Awsesomosity! Thanks for that!
September 13, 2011 06:25PM
Great pictures.Thanks.Brings back memories,last time I was there was 1976.For those not minding missing the water late summer or fall is a fine time to visit.Lack of water allows you to get back to the deepest part of the amphitheater.From there,look straight up.You may want to sit down first.
September 13, 2011 08:29PM
Stunning looking

+1 to the list of places to go
February 07, 2012 08:33AM
Thanks for asking about this. It's pretty kewl. Def. will visit multiple times now...
With little flow in the creek I just rock hopped up the creek and then took the trail down.
(ok, there are some HUGE boulders in the creek... so had to get out of it a couple of times)
Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login