Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tamarack vs Yosemite Creek Camping?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tamarack vs Yosemite Creek Camping?
July 25, 2011 04:41PM
I was wondering what people's opinions are on the best first-come camping outside the Valley. I'm looking for more quiet and less rowdy folks.
(I got all of my rowdiness out years ago at Camp 4 and have none left!) I figure the more primitive sites might be more attractive.

How do Tamarack Flat and Yosemite Creek compare as far as noise level, patrons, views, and privacy?

First post here, thanks for your opinions.
avatar Re: Tamarack vs Yosemite Creek Camping?
July 27, 2011 10:57AM
I haven't camped at neither Tamarack Flat nor the Yosemite Creek Campgrounds in a long time, so I don't have an up-to-date opinion on those campgrounds. My favorite along (or near) Tioga Road is the Porcupine Flat campground. I found the fellow campers and the noise level at that campground to be fine most of the time -- generally quieter than either White Wolf or Tuolumne Meadows campgrounds. But when I'm exploring the southern portion of Yosemite National Park, I prefer staying at the Bridalveil Creek Campground off of Glacier Point Road.
Re: Tamarack vs Yosemite Creek Camping?
July 27, 2011 11:41AM
Just got back from two nights at Yosemite Creek. Only about 1/2 of the campsites are open now, but the ones that are are beautiful (the ones beyond the closed bridge are nice too). Privacy level is much higher than you will see in the valley. Nights were quiet. We were probably one of the only groups up past 10pm or so and everyone was quiet till 7 or 8. Only downside is having to bring in your own water (or boil from the creek) and the dirt road on the way in. I will definitely be camping there again.
July 29, 2011 08:34PM
plawrence
I haven't camped at neither Tamarack Flat nor the Yosemite Creek Campgrounds in a long time, so I don't have an up-to-date opinion on those campgrounds.

I've never camped at Tamarack but Yosemite Creek can be very quiet during the week. And the long, one lane road keeps most large RVs out.

My favorite along (or near) Tioga Road is the Porcupine Flat campground.

I have to agree with that. Except on weekends I've found Porcupine Flat to be quiet and peaceful.
July 28, 2011 05:22PM
They both should be much quieter than the valley.

Yosemite Creek is close to Ten Lakes TH so you could dayhike up that a bit.
Right from the campground a nice hike down the creek is some spectacular granite.

Tamarack. Right from the cg you can xcountry to Devils Dancefloor. Or hike down to Cascade Creek bridge.

The views from almost all campgrounds on 120 ... are non existent. Of course seeing the night sky sleeping outside always is nice.

Hope dis helps you some

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 29, 2011 08:36PM
chick-on
Yosemite Creek is close to Ten Lakes TH so you could dayhike up that a bit.

Porcupine Flat would be closer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login