Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Pictures

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Pictures
July 26, 2011 06:31PM
Figured I should share the pictures from my July 17-19 trip since I got lots of useful info here before heading out for the trip...

Day 0: Left the Bay Are and camped at the Tuolumne Meadow backpackers camp. Was pleasantly surprised at the relative quiet for such a full group camp!

Day 1: From TM to a camp site just above Waterwheel Falls. The amount, speed, and sound of all the water was truly incredible. I've never experienced anything like that before.

Tuolumne Falls

White Cascade

Water slide!

Le Conte Falls grinning smiley

Sunset above Waterwheel Falls

Day 2: From Waterwheel Falls to Pate Valley. Crossing Register Creek was a concern at the outset, but in the end it wasn't too bad. With the clues provided by the ranger at the permit station, we were able to locate some Native American pictographs around Pate Valley.

Lots of flowers in bloom

Still a few damp spots to negotiate

Pictographs

Great spot to camp

Day 3: From Pate Valley up, up, and up to White Wolf. Hard, though plenty of good scenery (and a giant rattlesnake) to provide distraction from the climb.

The moon and Morrison Creek

Yup, that water was cold!

GPS read "Harden Garden" and I can't argue with that.

From WW we were able to hitchhike back to the car at TM. Great trip!

See all the pictures and some movies at: http://bit.ly/GCoT201107
July 26, 2011 07:10PM
great shots, I gotta get on that trail soon
July 26, 2011 08:01PM
Just breathtaking!
avatar Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Pictures
July 26, 2011 09:15PM
Beautiful area. Thanks for sharing your shots. I especially like the sunset shot. The man standing in that spot just really does something for the photo... not sure why.
July 26, 2011 10:28PM
Beautiful pictures; must have been an exquisite trip! Thank you; can't wait for our annual pilgrimage to Tuolumne Meadows! (...later than usual this year...we like to go for the Perseids ...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 10:31PM by pgavin.
July 27, 2011 12:02AM
That shot by Waterwheel Falls with the mist in the air must be around where Galen Rowell took one of his more memorable photographs, one he must have used magic pixie dust.

http://www.life.com/gallery/53531/image/ugc1151771#index/10
July 27, 2011 08:52AM
After Pate valley it is a hard climb out? Is it the terrain or because of the higher than normal water levels?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, what tent is that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 08:53AM by Hitech.
July 27, 2011 05:17PM
The climb out is hard because you go up nearly 4000 feet in not a lot of miles cool smiley In fact, we passed a couple of guys that had begun the climb out the day before us and had camped just past Morrison Creek because they got tired!

The tent is a Tarptent Moment. Great bit of gear.
July 27, 2011 05:55PM
Thanks, I thought it looked like the Moment. Have you ever used the Rainbow/Double Rainbow?

Thanks again.
July 28, 2011 07:42AM
I only have personal experience with the Moment. I do have a friend with the Double Rainbow and he is quite pleased with it.

Just be aware that the single-wall design does seem to result in more condensation on the inside of the tent.
July 28, 2011 08:08AM
Thanks. It seems like "everyone" is happy with whichever one of those tents they own.
July 28, 2011 12:56PM
vitaminC
I only have personal experience with the Moment. I do have a friend with the Double Rainbow and he is quite pleased with it.

Just be aware that the single-wall design does seem to result in more condensation on the inside of the tent.

Did you opt for the custom interior liner for the Moment?
July 29, 2011 02:57PM
plawrence
vitaminC

Did you opt for the custom interior liner for the Moment?

I don't think it was available when I got the tent, or at least I didn't notice it. So no, I don't have it. The condensation doesn't bother me enough to warrant the extra ounces grinning smiley
July 29, 2011 05:12PM
vitaminC
The climb out is hard because you go up nearly 4000 feet in not a lot of miles

That's why I went the other direction. winking smiley
July 27, 2011 12:20PM
Is this even close to being full runoff? Wondering if I should go this weekend.....or save the trip for earlier this month next year....I know its all dependent on mother nature. Thanks for anyone's advise.
July 27, 2011 05:18PM
The runoff levels must have peaked a few weeks ago. At that point the route was impassable in places. IMHO, now is a great time to go- the falls are amazing and still lots of flowers in bloom.
July 27, 2011 05:23PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Hopefully, I'll be doing this trip (with wife and friend) this weekend. Looks like the water will still be spectacular. (Actually, our crazy plan is to walk from White Wolf to the Pothole Dome parking lot as a big day trip on Sunday...)
July 27, 2011 05:29PM
basilbop

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Hopefully, I'll be doing this trip (with wife and friend) this weekend. Looks like the water will still be spectacular. (Actually, our crazy plan is to walk from White Wolf to the Pothole Dome parking lot as a big day trip on Sunday...)

That's a long day hike! How early are you planning to set off on your hike? At first light (5:30 AM)?
July 28, 2011 01:06PM
Nice trip report. Love the ongoing intensity of the waterfalls.

Do you have more pictures of the pictographs?!
July 29, 2011 03:00PM
Half Dome Hiker
Nice trip report. Love the ongoing intensity of the waterfalls.

Do you have more pictures of the pictographs?!

Not much. It was the end of the day so I was getting a bit tired...

August 12, 2017 08:38PM
Any clues to find petrographs? How far past night2 on the map? How far from the trail?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login