Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Merced Lake to Curry Village

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Merced Lake to Curry Village
July 27, 2011 02:02PM
Looks like my reservation for Sunrise HSC is too early (before they open), so my group is going to have to make the 13+ mile trek out from Merced Lake HSC to the Valley. We will park a car at Curry Village for the drive back (we are starting from Tuolumne.) My questions are... Is this is the best and quickest way out from Merced Lake? Anything specific about that route or an alternate we should be aware of as far as sights to see, better trails to take, etc...? We wanted to keep our days around 10 miles, so this one will be a bit longer day and mileage hiking, but want to be sure we do not miss an opportunity here. We were going to try and time arrival for the Shuttle bus from the Valley to Tuolumne, but seems risky if we don't make it back on time, so we are staging the car.
July 27, 2011 02:42PM
Merced Lake to Nevada Falls is gradual - long but easy hike - I did it the other way several years ago - You can stop in LYV and go up Half Dome - I believe the Wilderness Permits suffice as permits for climbing Half Dome - Don't know if LYV needs to be specifically stated on the permit though
avatar Re: Merced Lake to Curry Village
July 27, 2011 07:40PM
Consider taking, between Nevada Fall and Happy Isles, the JMT trail instead of the Mist trail.

Even though JMT is 1 mile farther, the high step staircase alongside Vernal Fall on Mist trail can be killer at the end of a trip, especially with a heavy backpack!

Also, why park at Curry? Parking at the Trailhead/Wilderness parking lot would shave a bit of distance off the trip and is intended for Wilderness Permit parkers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 07:43PM by qumqats.
July 27, 2011 07:59PM
I wonder if our HSC reservation will entitle us to be able to park in that lot for a week?
July 27, 2011 08:04PM
I will be doing the same hike. the Wilderness office said that you did not need any sort of permit to park in that lot.
July 28, 2011 09:00AM
Anyone know how many river crossings there are on this trail?
July 28, 2011 09:40AM
Mom

Gephyrophobia?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 28, 2011 10:32AM
Mom

the river crossings have bridges. The creek crossings do not. Right now there are probably more creek crossings - intermittent streams will have water in them.
July 28, 2011 05:01PM
If you get your feet wet now on the Merced River Trail from Merced Lake to Nevada Falls... you're trying to.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login