Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne wilderness permit system

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne wilderness permit system
July 28, 2011 04:34PM
I've seen a few posts on the board talk about the makeshift system in place for getting wilderness permits in Tuolumne. I'm planning on showing up without a backcountry permit reservation next weekend looking for a first come first serve permit for that same day, with no real plan to speak of, other than preferring to start in Tuolumne.

If the phones are still out or intermittent then, how does the permit system work? Can they give out day-of first come first serve permits for other areas of the park besides Tuolumne without access to their quota info? Are the quotas still in place and enforced without knowing if rangers in the Valley are giving out permits for Tuolumne and vice versa?

Is this a crazy question? Maybe the solution is simple and I'm not thinking it through.
July 28, 2011 04:42PM
If you show up in Tuolumne office asking for permits out of other parts of the park, and the phones are still out, how COULD they help you? They couldn't - the other offices have priority in their regions of the park. Tuolumne office would have to call the office of priority - no call, no permit. TM/Tioga Road trailheads, no problem, they'll issue those without delay.
July 28, 2011 04:46PM
Well they could have a couple permits on reserve from other parts of the park. But if turning someone away is what they actually do, that answers my question.
avatar Re: Tuolumne wilderness permit system
July 28, 2011 04:47PM
The phone system is up. We got Murphy Creek from Big Oak Flat last weekend.
Ranger called Tuolumne to get them. So you should be fine.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 28, 2011 04:48PM
When I was there at the beginning of July. At that time the phones were out and here is how they did it. And if the phones are still out, probably how it is still working.

To avoid confusion and double booking only Tuolomne permit station gave out first-come permits for Tuolomne trail-heads.
Permits were written by hand.
Quotas very much still in place (and surprisingly many trail heads filled up their quota even though there was still a lot of snow on most trails).
You could buy maps with cash and rent a bear canister with a credit card (although I think they just wrote down the numbers as they couldn't swipe electronically.)
July 28, 2011 06:33PM
KatyAnderson
When I was there at the beginning of July. At that time the phones were out and here is how they did it. And if the phones are still out, probably how it is still working.

To avoid confusion and double booking only Tuolomne permit station gave out first-come permits for Tuolomne trail-heads.
Permits were written by hand.
Quotas very much still in place (and surprisingly many trail heads filled up their quota even though there was still a lot of snow on most trails).
You could buy maps with cash and rent a bear canister with a credit card (although I think they just wrote down the numbers as they couldn't swipe electronically.)
Phones are not out in TM, they were repaired last week.
July 28, 2011 07:03PM
Do you guys read what I write?

July 28, 2011 07:11PM
chick-on

We do... even though Goatie's English is infinitely superior.
(Appreciatively Yours)
The Marmots
July 28, 2011 07:37PM
chick-on

Unfortunately, some people have trouble deciphering chicken Chick-on is looking at you! scratch. wink
July 31, 2011 08:57AM
chick-on

Katy never saw your post because she was typing while you were posting. Her post was one minute after yours.
July 31, 2011 09:03AM
That comment wasn't directed at Katy.

July 31, 2011 09:37AM
chick-on
That comment wasn't directed at Katy.

O.K., I take it back.smiling smiley
July 28, 2011 04:50PM
Great info, thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login