Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Photo of a hike up Half Dome in the dark

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Photo of a hike up Half Dome in the dark
July 28, 2011 11:13PM
Neat time lapse photograph I believe of a lone hiker ascending the cables just before sunrise.

http://redwoodclub.weebly.com/photo-gallery.html
July 29, 2011 09:51AM
KenS
Neat time lapse photograph I believe of a lone hiker ascending the cables just before sunrise.

http://redwoodclub.weebly.com/photo-gallery.html

i must be mistaken, but isn't that looking west and wouldn't that be sunset back there?
July 29, 2011 10:42AM
Photo was taken in October, the sun as at a lower angle that time of year, could be sunrise.
July 29, 2011 09:52AM
It's a cool shot, but it's not time lapse. It is a time exposure, meaning several seconds. A time lapse would show movement as it is many images stitched together.
July 29, 2011 11:02AM
Judging by the movement of the stars, the shot was probably somewhere between 30 seconds and a couple minutes, making a long exposure, not a time lapse. My guess is that what your seeing on the horizon is light pollution from the Central Valley. Totally cool shot though! And FWIW, the sun angle on the group shot does indicate a (late) morning shot.

IMHO.

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
avatar Re: Photo of a hike up Half Dome in the dark
July 31, 2011 09:02AM
enlightphoto
Judging by the movement of the stars, the shot was probably somewhere between 30 seconds and a couple minutes, making a long exposure, not a time lapse. My guess is that what your seeing on the horizon is light pollution from the Central Valley. Totally cool shot though! And FWIW, the sun angle on the group shot does indicate a (late) morning shot.

IMHO.

This is correct. Time exposure astrophotography frequently picks up what amatuer astronomers refer to as light domes, our light pollution nemisis.
July 31, 2011 10:09AM
No comments about the Stanford people piled on the King's Chair?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 31, 2011 10:46AM
Frank Furter

No comments about the Stanford people piled on the King's Chair?

Oh! Those wild and crazy Stanford kids!

(Happy now?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login