Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bear Statistics 2011

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 29, 2011 01:46PM
NPS daily report:

Seven bears have been reported hit by vehicles so far in 2011. Please obey speed limits and pay attention while driving! In 2010, 28 bears were hit by vehicles.
Do not abandon your food! This week a bear obtained food from various backcountry campsites throughout the park. When hiking, do not leave food or packs unattended, even for a few minutes. No matter where you’re camping, remain within arm’s reach of food at all times unless it’s stored inside a locked bear resistant canister or locker. If a bear is
approaches you, act immediately to scare it away by making as much noise as possible. If you see a bear during your visit, please report it to the Save-a-bear hotline at 209-372-0322. Additionally there have been 14 bear incidents where a bear obtained trash that was left out or from trash cans or dumpsters that were not secure.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Bear Statistics 2011
July 29, 2011 04:10PM
You're not exaggerating when you caution hikers not to leave their packs unattended, even for a moment. In 2007, I saw a hiker on the JMT right by the Half Dome fork, resting up. He took his backoff and got off the trail (I presume) for a call of nature. Within 30 seconds, a large blonde Bruin took the pack, mauled it and then walked away with it in his mouth. I left before I could see the hiker's reaction because I thought the Blondie might have cubs and I wanted to be prudent.
July 30, 2011 12:51AM
I've been told by rangers that while resting, not to just let your pack drop behind you.
The bears know you're not watching it and will sneak up behind you to snatch it. Keep it in front of you and in view.
The bears know that when it's in front of you that you're guarding it. If it's not in front of you, it's an opportunity for them!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 12:55AM by qumqats.
July 30, 2011 06:45AM
qumqats

I've been told by rangers that while resting, not to just let your pack drop behind you.
The bears know you're not watching it and will sneak up behind you to snatch it. Keep it in front of you and in view.
The bears know that when it's in front of you that you're guarding it. If it's not in front of you, it's an opportunity for them!

Sneaky bears...

Yogi has taught them well. wink
July 30, 2011 11:53AM
plawrence
Yogi has taught them well. wink

The Yogi is strong in this one...
July 30, 2011 04:38PM
qumqats

I've actually heard of that happening in Yosemite Valley. I was at the backpackers campground after I'd completed my trip. A group of boy scouts got in a little bit late. A bear did a sneak attack on one scout's pack when he laid it down on a picnic table. It was maybe 9:30 at night, and the dark was probably ideal for the bear to hide. I got out of my tent to find out what was going on, and I asked the scout what happened. He said that he hadn't left it alone for more than maybe 10 seconds when it was grabbed.

I actually placed my entire entire pack in one of the bear boxes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 04:38PM by y_p_w.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login