Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Need another flower ID

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 29, 2011 05:43PM
Found this little flower on the side of the High Sierra Trail:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/trails/high-sierra-trail/crsh-dsc_1977.jpg.html
avatar Re: Need another flower ID
July 29, 2011 06:05PM
Purple Weed (or maybe Camas)

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 29, 2011 06:37PM
I'd go with Camas Lily.
July 30, 2011 08:40PM
I believe this might be the name of your posted flower.

Elegant Brodiaea

Alternate name: Elegant Cluster Lily, Harvest Brodiaea

Family: Liliaceae,

Description An umbel of several violet or blue-violet, funnel-shaped flowers at top of a leafless stalk with a few long, very narrow basal leaves that are usually withered by flowering time.
Flowers: 1-1 1/2" (2.5-3.8 cm) long; 6 narrow petal-like segments; inside, alternating with 3 stamens, are flat, white scales separated from, and shorter than, stamens.
Leaves: 4-16" (10-40 cm) long.
Height: 4-16" (10-40 cm).
Flower April-July.

Habitat Habitat: Dry plains and grassy hillsides.

Range Northern Oregon to southern California. This plant begins to flower as fields dry out in the early summer. Several species of Brodiaea (pronounced bro-dee'-ah), are similar. In Harvest Brodiaea (B. coronaria), from British Columbia to southern California, the scales between the stamens are concave on their inner side, longer than the stamens and lean toward them. One of the most handsome is Wally Basket, Grass Nut, or Ithuriel's Spear (Trileleia laxa), which grows on heavy soils in grassland or brush from southern Oregon to southern California; it reaches a height of up to 28" (70 cm) and has many flowers in a large umbel, with 6 stamens and beneath the ovary a stalk 2-3 times its length.

-Flowerz
July 30, 2011 08:50PM
Dang. Wrong again.

I think you nailed it.

Thanks

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 30, 2011 09:04PM
I was thinking it might be Brodiaea. We have a trail here that only exists because an endangered Brodiaea kept a large house from being built.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login