Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Interesting letter to the editor

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Interesting letter to the editor
July 30, 2011 08:38PM
I'd post a response, but I refuse to get a Facebook account. I remember when this paper used to use Topix.

Letter of the Day: Stop these tragedies
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110728/OPINION/110729452/1042/sitemaps04

I suppose they didn't edit it for bad place name usage, but I never heard of "upper Vernal Falls". I thought it was just one drop. Also - why would the U.S. Forest Service have any authority to put up a sign in Yosemite like the letter writer suggests.
July 30, 2011 08:49PM
y_p_w
I'd post a response, but I refuse to get a Facebook account. I remember when this paper used to use Topix.

Letter of the Day: Stop these tragedies
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110728/OPINION/110729452/1042/sitemaps04

I suppose they didn't edit it for bad place name usage, but I never heard of "upper Vernal Falls". I thought it was just one drop. Also - why would the U.S. Forest Service have any authority to put up a sign in Yosemite like the letter writer suggests.
She obviously doesn't understand who is in charge of Yosemite. And why do you need a sign telling people the number of deaths? The sign says, you will die if you go over. Pretty plain and simple.

But maybe she is onto something. It could be a giant tote board. As someone dies, the number goes up.
avatar Re: Interesting letter to the editor
July 30, 2011 09:17PM
I posted these signs once already.
Again... the one at Vernal DOES NOT SAY "You will die if you go over the falls".
THE ONE AT NEVADA DOES.

They seasonally in the past have put up a sign at the Emerald Pool in multiple languages
that said to say the he-ck out of the water.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 30, 2011 09:30PM
Found the sign from 2009:

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 31, 2011 08:04AM
chick-on
I posted these signs once already.
Again... the one at Vernal DOES NOT SAY "You will die if you go over the falls".
THE ONE AT NEVADA DOES.

They seasonally in the past have put up a sign at the Emerald Pool in multiple languages
that said to say the he-ck out of the water.
Ooops, oh well.
July 30, 2011 09:27PM
hotrod4x5
She obviously doesn't understand who is in charge of Yosemite. And why do you need a sign telling people the number of deaths? The sign says, you will die if you go over. Pretty plain and simple.

But maybe she is onto something. It could be a giant tote board. As someone dies, the number goes up.

Usually the confusion seems to be the other way around. I usually hear about people who describe National Forests as run by the National Park Service. I'm guessing a whole lot of people think Smokey Bear is an icon of the NPS.

I do remember visiting an Asian country some years back, where bicycle riding was the most common means of transportation at the time. We once walked into a residential neighborhood near our hotel. They had the daily newspaper posted on a board for those who didn't want to pay. They also had graphic photos of people who had died in bicycle accidents with motor vehicles. I mean - really graphic with copious amounts of blood and some even of heads split open.

Perhaps they could post photos of what has happened in the past to the bodies of those who have gone over Vernal Fall. I understand that often that means multiple pieces.
July 30, 2011 09:27PM
Oh dear God. The Press Democrat is irritating people outside Sonoma County now? No surprise there.

*sigh* OK, I guess I'll have to write a letter.

Edited to add: Oh, it's a letter to the Editor? Eh... whatever.

Her point that the sign that had the most impact for her was one that listed actual deaths might have some merit. Clearly there are people who will not heed warnings, but perhaps it could give more weight to the arguments of the crowd of on-lookers trying to get foolish people back on the correct side of the railing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 09:31PM by itchbay.
August 01, 2011 11:01AM
That sign at Emerald Pool is my favorite sign in the park. It insured that my wife never considered swimming there. She commented that it looked so calm and inviting. Not that she really would have considered swimming that close to the top of a water fall, but, when the water is lower it does look very calm and inviting. Me, I was more interested in the water slide. Head roll
August 01, 2011 11:12AM
Hitech
That sign at Emerald Pool is my favorite sign in the park. It insured that my wife never considered swimming there. She commented that it looked so calm and inviting. Not that she really would have considered swimming that close to the top of a water fall, but, when the water is lower it does look very calm and inviting. Me, I was more interested in the water slide. Head roll

August 01, 2011 12:28PM
Unbelievable!

no, stop, enough!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login