Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Did You Climb Cathedral Peak on July 30?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Did You Climb Cathedral Peak on July 30?
August 01, 2011 10:51AM
On reviewing my image of Cathedral Peak I spotted a person on top of the peak. I know Cathedral Peak is climbed but I've never seen anyone there before. The image below on the left shows the person and was taken from Peak 10450. The image on the right is for comparison and was taken last year from about 200 feet below 10450. I was only using a 50mm lens so the resolution is low.

Panoramic Images - http://panoramas.aa6g.org/
avatar Re: Did You Climb Cathedral Peak on July 30?
August 03, 2011 06:58AM
I've certainly never seen anyone on the peak but two years ago I photographed two climbers half way up the front face. When I hiked past the mountain headed to the lake I could hear them holloring out to each other but could not see them for the trees. If I get ambitious I'll dig up the photo.
August 03, 2011 07:25AM
You need to be ambitious and get ur booty to Loch Tablae!

So as to not wear you out... here's a couple of the East Buttress:

A wild guess is that there are zero climbers who contribute to the forum.
Cath Peak is probably the "real" climbers Half Dome...

If you want to know who it was... you can go up and look in the registry.. wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 03, 2011 08:13AM
We will be going "down" to Loch Tablae from Rodgers Canyon, not up. The day before that (from Matterhorn Creek) will be the ambitious day.

By the way, does anybody know if there are reasonable camping areas available in the area where Wilson Creek crosses the PCT? Our next day will be a ball buster doing Volunteer peak/ Rodgers Lake at the end of the day so any extra miles we can rip off the day before will help (as apposed to camping Matterhorn Creek).
August 03, 2011 09:13AM
Cathedral is one of my favorites to do.

I went up there Oct. 15th 2010 last and took this video. The fun part starts at 2:20 and the class 4 climb for the last little bit starts at 4:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFi6JFiz8M

August 03, 2011 09:25AM
gkam2
Cathedral is one of my favorites to do.

I went up there Oct. 15th 2010 last and took this video. The fun part starts at 2:20 and the class 4 climb for the last little bit starts at 4:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFi6JFiz8M

Cool video, what is that line, rope, cable or whateve visible above your head starting around 5:00. I expected to see a video from the top, was it too scary?
August 03, 2011 09:48AM
That a couple coming up from the other side that was doing actual rock climbing. I was the only one that brought the camera and I didn't want him to ....throw it up. ha next time possibly.

The top does not hold to many people though.

Coming down that little class 4 is kinda hairy
August 03, 2011 09:50AM
So your buddy didn't make the last bit to the top? I don't blame him, it's one thing to climb that, if you are 20 feet off the ground, but up that high, unroped, pretty scary.
August 03, 2011 09:55AM
Nope he didn't make it up. I had to talk him through even just coming around the first ledge to video tape it
August 03, 2011 01:12PM
That kicks butt. Haven't been up there. Just all round it.

Muir did the same thing. I believe he is credited with the first summit.

Makes me want to give it a go.

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 01:13PM by chick-on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login