All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Amount of water to bring per miles to be hiked?
August 01, 2011 07:45PM
Is there an formula for amount of water to bring on a hike vs miles to be hiked?
Our long hike next week will be TM to somewhere along the Glen Aulin waterfall area; not sure how far we will go. It will be myself and my boys, 13 and 9.
I will carry most of it, with the boys bringing several bottles.

While I am at this, a related question would be: What is a good water filter to buy?
Someday, I would like to get back into backpacking. For now, I could use the filter for long hikes and emergency situations when the big one hits the LA area..
Re: Amount of water to bring per miles to be hiked?
August 01, 2011 07:49PM
I always drink 24 ounces of fluid for every 90 mins. hiked. More if I am doing Whitney or a similar high altitude hike, or when it's excessively hot. I'll drink 24 ounces an hour in the Grand Canyon, even in November, because it's excessively dry.

I've always thought most hikers simply do not drink enough. Performance and recovery are enhanced by hydrating properly.
avatar Re: Amount of water to bring per miles to be hiked?
August 01, 2011 08:00PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is no formula. It depends significantly on the terrain, the difficulty of the hike, the weather, the access to water along the way, and if I'll carry water treatment. In the sierra I rarely carry more than a liter at a time because water is everywhere and I have the ability to treat it. I tend to drink a lot when I'm stopped near water on a break, then move along with a smaller amount. It all depends. If you're bringing a filter and going to Glen Aulin you'll be fine. It's more important to be aware of how much you're drinking - make sure you're drinking regularly and in large quantities. Hydration is the best way to fight altitude issues.
August 01, 2011 08:10PM
calipidder
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is no formula.

I'm going to agree. At least, if there is one and I'm aware of it, it doesn't reliably work.

It depends.

Though I carry more water than you do. And some hikes in fall can be short of water...TM to Young Lakes has no water until the destination in fall, in early summer one can't avoid water.
August 01, 2011 08:02PM
snorkus
Is there an formula for amount of water to bring on a hike vs miles to be hiked?
Our long hike next week will be TM to somewhere along the Glen Aulin waterfall area; not sure how far we will go. It will be myself and my boys, 13 and 9.
I will carry most of it, with the boys bringing several bottles.

While I am at this, a related question would be: What is a good water filter to buy?
Someday, I would like to get back into backpacking. For now, I could use the filter for long hikes and emergency situations when the big one hits the LA area..

I usually do a quart and hour when it's hot, somewhat less when it's cooler or going downhill. While snowshoeing with a pack it's still about one quart per hour. In Yosemite you are rarely more than an hour from water. I just about always have two quarts on me when leaving a watering spot. I weight 240.

Old Dude
August 01, 2011 08:11PM
A filter is a LOT easier to carry that lots and lots of water. A worthy investment. I have this one http://www.rei.com/product/617913/msr-sweetwater-water-filter seems to work fine, fills a quart in about 3 mins of pumping.
August 02, 2011 07:40AM
A ranger on the trail past Merced Lake told us a few years ago that the only water he carries is in his stomach. He pumps what he needs into a bottle when he needs it. Of course he also knows where all of the water sources are at all times.
August 01, 2011 08:14PM
Conditions will greatly determine my water consumption. More is better than less, though, for me.

As for a filter, I took a Katadyn Hiker Pro to Yosemite last month and it worked like a champ. Easy to use, compact and not too heavy. And it works quickly.
August 01, 2011 08:18PM
Don't overlook sports drinks that replace electrolytes. One of my favorites is the zero calorie Powerade.
August 02, 2011 07:39AM
We drop Nuun electrolyte tablets into our water bladder systems also.
August 01, 2011 09:09PM
No formula.
So many variables.
August 01, 2011 11:21PM
Three people in our group have the Hiker Pro filter. Works great.
August 02, 2011 04:41AM
Drink when you think about it. If you're thirsty, drink more and think about it more. Watch your urine - if it's dark, drink more often. (People with diabetes will always have dark urine, just drink more.)

Eat too - trail mix, snacks with carbs/salt.

Any filter on the rack at REI will do - the squeeze bottle ones aren't so great, can't filter up a larger supply into a hydration bladder, but most of the pump or gravity filters are fine. Those Frontier Pro filters are cheap but need chemicals added to the water to get the small bacteria - they only filter out big stuff like cysts.

Hiker Pro is lighter than many, but the fittings can crack easily. Just got through super-glueing part of mine. The Platypus Cleanstream setup is back-flush-able and no moving parts.
August 02, 2011 05:18AM
A couple things to think about:
1. One approach to fluid management is to reduce walking speed to the point that sweating is minimal. This is an important skill during winter as the wet clothing becomes an significant cause of hypothermia when exercise stops.

2. When large volumes are taken by mouth, blood flow is shunted to the digestive tract and, therefore, away from the skin and muscle. With less peripheral blood flow, heat loss from the skin is reduced impairing heat regulation. In general, it is better to take multiple small volumes of water frequently than to gorge at longer intervals.

3. Excessive water intake can occur and result in low serum sodium which has its own set of problems.

4. Water losses during exercise occurs from exhaled air as well as sweating. so even in the absence of sweating, especially during dry conditions water loss can be significant.

5. Baseline water intake for a adult at rest should be at least1500 ml/day. Urine output in the healthy person should be more than 300 ml per day and light yellow. As mentioned very concentrated urine is an indication that the kidneys are trying hard to hold on to water. If water intake is adequate for the conditions, urine production will be more generous and dilute.

6. A person's individual medical conditions will add variables and factors to be considered.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 02, 2011 06:08AM
For any newcomers to the forum who may still be wondering:
Yes, the Dawg is a medical doctor.
August 02, 2011 10:17AM
Frank Furter
A couple things to think about:
1. One approach to fluid management is to reduce walking speed to the point that sweating is minimal. This is an important skill during winter as the wet clothing becomes an significant cause of hypothermia when exercise stops.

2. When large volumes are taken by mouth, blood flow is shunted to the digestive tract and, therefore, away from the skin and muscle. With less peripheral blood flow, heat loss from the skin is reduced impairing heat regulation. In general, it is better to take multiple small volumes of water frequently than to gorge at longer intervals.

3. Excessive water intake can occur and result in low serum sodium which has its own set of problems.

4. Water losses during exercise occurs from exhaled air as well as sweating. so even in the absence of sweating, especially during dry conditions water loss can be significant.

5. Baseline water intake for a adult at rest should be at least1500 ml/day. Urine output in the healthy person should be more than 300 ml per day and light yellow. As mentioned very concentrated urine is an indication that the kidneys are trying hard to hold on to water. If water intake is adequate for the conditions, urine production will be more generous and dilute.

6. A person's individual medical conditions will add variables and factors to be considered.

thanks FF,

signed Steripen user
August 02, 2011 02:16PM
Frank Furter

Heard about this. Hyponatremia I believe it's called. I've heard of fraternity hazing rituals where one just chugs down water. A few people have died. There was also a mom who desperately wanted to win a contest where the prize was a Nintendo Wii. The contest was titled "Hold your wee for a Wii". She eventually died, but the radio program hosts who were running the contest were cracking jokes about the possible effects of water intoxication.

http://blogs.webmd.com/all-ears/2007/01/hold-your-wee-for-a-wii-water-intoxication-death.html
August 07, 2011 07:10PM
Frank Furter
Here's my rule of thumb:
Yellow and stinky....drinky drinky
Copious and clear...never fear.
August 02, 2011 06:54AM
If you backpack... don't get the PRO.

Just get this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/695233/katadyn-hiker-water-filter

Then... take the "bottle attachment" and chuck that baby in the recycle bin.
Then... take the "black weight" on the intake and chuck that baby in the recycle bin.

Then... take a coffee filter and put it around the supplied screen input with a rubber band
Then... take another rubber band and put it above the filter on the hose

The second rubber band you use to attach a small rock if you find it necessary to
weigh it down in the water.

The PRO has gizmos which are completely unneeded.

Had the regular for about 10 years now. Works like a champ. A gazillion trips.

Unfortunately it seems they did something stupid and a buddy of mine continually
is breaking the handle. So... YMMV

O... and take a filter and 1 litre. And even if you do run out of water... this isn't the
desert... you won't die. You'll make it a couple of miles w/o water.

(but don't go up the 4 Mile with little water.. that's just stupid)

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 02, 2011 09:46AM
I have to second this, I've had the pro Vario for about four years now and while I don't know about extra gizmos it has been full of problems. Basically it works great (twice as fast as the hiker) if its lubed and cleaned impeccably. I've had to strip it and clean it to alleviate minor to major issues since I bought it. My friends all have the hiker model and aside
from one that had a fluke defect, they all have worked great. Before I figured out how to strip it down and clean it I ran into some tense situations hiking in the desert. The pro Vario looks cooler though.

EDIT: whoops my mistake I have the Vario!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 09:54AM by steelcup.
August 02, 2011 08:34AM
I agree with the idea of taking a filter, not bottles. If you are a minimalist and want to keep things simple for a single day's hike, you can also add 4 drops of household bleach to a liter of water and let it sit in your bottle for 30 minutes. You wll be safe from just about everything except cryptosporidium...which is not common in the High Sierra.

But let's take your hike for example. First of all, drink a lot of water BEFORE you start your day-hike. One liter per person. If you do this right, you'll have to stop and pee at some point in the first hour. That's fine. It means you are hydrated. And now you have to hike about six miles to Glen Aulin. If you hike at 2 miles per hour (which is a bit slow) that will take you three hours--if you don't stop and rest every ten minutes because your feet hurt, back is bothering you, shoes need to be retied, somebody has to pee, want to take a picture, need a snack, etc..

Ask each hiker to carry one liter of water for their personal use. That should be enough to get you most of the way to Glen Aulin.

Along the way, you will see the Tuolumne River and various creeks--those are sources of water. There is obviously water at Glen Aulin---the Tuolumne River runs through it. So throughout this hike you can pump or treat water and replenish your body/bottles. if you are using the bleach, always have one bottle full and ready to drink, while at least one other one is going through the 30 minute treatment process.

Take a break at Glen Aulin, eat lunch and do all the things that I listed above. But first, finish all the water you carried, and treat/pump to fill them again. Stay at least 30 minutes, so you can drink MORE water before you leave Glen Aulin. Pump and or treat your bottles again, just before you leave Glen Aulin.

Now you have one liter person to carry back to the trailhead, and should be fully hydrated. If you finish that water, pump/treat another bottle so that within 30 minutes you have more to drink. If you stop once along the trail to do this, you'll have consumed five liters of water on the trail....and can get as much as you want to drink at the trailhead/Tuolumne Meadows.

And try to remember that you never get any points for arriving at any destination with water in your bottles. Water is to drink. Do it on the trail where it will do you some good.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 08:36AM by balzaccom.
August 02, 2011 10:36AM
Since we're talking about Glen Aulin... there should be potable water spigots available at either the High Sierra Camp or the backpacker's campground (I can't remember about the backpacker's campground at Glen Aulin, but Merced Lake, May Lake, and Sunrise have spigots for the backpackers to use). Also, the Tuolumne River is probably one of the most tested--and pure--sources of water anywhere. It's used for Tuolumne Lodge and campground, the Glen Aulin HSC, and--eventually--2+ million Bay Area residents with minimal treatment. I'd still recommend a filter "just in case", but if I did need water and had a filter/treatment malfunction (MSR Hyperflow, MSR Miox, and SteriPen--I'm talking about you...), I wouldn't hesitate to fill my water bottle from a clear-flowing part of the river.

My current and favorite treatment system is this: a McNett/Aquamira Frontier Pro water filter on a 1L Aquafina bottle (chuck the Aquafina water itself--most Sierra water is much better--but the bottle and Frontier Pro's threads work well together) and AquaMira chlorine dioxide tablets for "bulk" (in camp) treatment.
August 02, 2011 09:16AM
For a filter, I wouldn't purchase anything other than one of these:

http://www.sawyer.com/SP131.htm

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=sawyer+water+filter&qe=c2F3eWVyIHdh&qesig=N5RJGqH2uUftm018t3cgPQ&pkc=AFgZ2tkFJMMjkC0HCKME8B39e9TqCcmx2JgjgeLzImylm5VI4TcYlnOaGzNy_5VZgB0keGGDc6fLdN0tx7XXkOf4ELID8DzAfg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=675&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13666893301937316643&sa=X&ei=BSE4TuzFEPHViALkic2hDw&sqi=2&ved=0CIMBEPICMAY

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Inline-Water-Filter-with-34-Ounce-Bottle/8283710

They are all the same filter technology with different implementations. The filter is very light, small, easily back-flushed and should last a lifetime. No pumping required and will gravity filter water at the same rate as a pump. Or, just carry the unfiltered water and drink as you go.

Having a water treatment method is the ONLY way to go. They just don't cost that much and insure you will have safe water to drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 09:17AM by Hitech.
August 02, 2011 09:52AM
What I drink changes with environment, altitute, heat, etc.
When I hike locally in Orange County, I carry 24 ounces for an average 4-8 mile hike unless it is in the 90s plus temp wise. I usually drink 24 ounces before I leave as well and leave 24 ounes in my car just in case. But in Yosemite I carry at least two liters depending on the hike (and usually drink 24 ounces pre-hike). Mist Trail up to Nevada that would work, but for 4 Mile, UYF and Half Dome, I carry more.

My current hydration pack only carries 2 liters (about 65 ounces) and after this last trip I want to upgrade to a 3 liter pack. There is no formula for me, and sometimes I drink more and sometimes less. I drank more on UYF with the sun exposure than I did on 4 Mile with the shade (7 miles versus 9.6).

I normally drink 80 to 120 ounces of water a day, so drinking water is a habitual thing for me. I don't think much about the actual action, I just do it smiling smiley
August 02, 2011 10:33AM
I have this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

but... haven't even used it ONCE yet...

Steripen or tried and true Katydyn Hiker...

Every time I go I look at it and go "well... maybe next time"

August 02, 2011 11:34AM
chick-on
I have this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

but... haven't even used it ONCE yet...

Steripen or tried and true Katydyn Hiker...

Every time I go I look at it and go "well... maybe next time"

I'm curious why you haven't used it yet. I can see if you prefer the steripen, but I would think it would be far easier that the Katydyn.
August 02, 2011 01:38PM
Hitech
I'm curious why you haven't used it yet. I can see if you prefer the steripen, but I would think it would be far easier that the Katydyn.

First of all, for convenience and ease of use... Katydyn Hiker wins hands down.
Steripen is just a pain in the arse to use. I can't tell you how many times the damn
red light has come on... and for what reason? beats the crap outta me!
I've considered trading/returning to REI and saying "WHY?!?!?".
Normally we camp very far away from water for various reasons (top priority is view for one though).
So we pump 2 litre platy and our hydration bags full up... to pump a good 5 litres
takes very little time with the Katydyn.
Many many times a trickle water has provided our water. With the steripen or inline...
that wouldn't have worked well at all. So... there's a number of factors involved...
I wouldn't trust an inline in winter either.
I'll give the inline a go this weekend though since Old Dude is going and he'll have his filter along..
and let you know what my impressions are.

August 02, 2011 02:07PM
Thanks all for the responses.

I went to REI at lunch time. They did not have the Katadyn Pro. I was set to buy the MSR Miniworks EX.
I then saw the first need XL. I totally forgot that I bought one (first need XL) at REI last year for emergency situations. It is heavier than the others, but I think that it will be sufficient.
August 02, 2011 02:33PM
snorkus
I totally forgot that I bought one (first need XL) at REI last year for emergency situations. It is heavier than the others, but I think that it will be sufficient.

Yup, that will work fine. It's what I used last time in Yosemite. You may have to back-flush the prefilter as the water can contain a fair amount of slit, but other than that it should work fine.
August 02, 2011 02:10PM
I hear you about the Steripen. If yours is the one with the metal contacts then it could be that the water is to "pure". They suggest a pinch of salt. That worked for a buddy of mine. However, they are to finicky for me.

I haven't used mine yet, but the sawyer is supposed to filter at about the same rate as most pumps. And no pumping involved. I plan to use it as a gravity filter. From a hydration pack to a bottle when going lite, from a 2 /12 gallon jug when going heavy (camping vrs "real" backpacking)..

I am VERY interested to hear what you think, and how you used it.

Thanks.

P.S. I've seen others use the Katydyn and I have a First Need. I was a little faster on the First Need, but I think that was me and not the filters. grinning smiley

P.P.S. BTW, "They" suggest having a scoop for extremely shallow water sources.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 02:13PM by Hitech.
August 02, 2011 06:22PM
I've been very happy w/ my Steripen, I bought it 13 months ago, works great, only 'red lights' have been either 'battery needs replacing' or 'operator removed pen from water due to mosquito bites'.
August 02, 2011 08:15PM
Which one do you have? I have the Steripen Adventurer
It typically works OK for the first pint. If need >1 pint then it's hit and miss.
I was thinking to just return it and get a new one from REI.
Something "has" to be wrong. (I'm not a complete idiot) wink

August 02, 2011 08:37PM
chick-on
Which one do you have? I have the Steripen Adventurer
It typically works OK for the first pint. If need >1 pint then it's hit and miss.
I was thinking to just return it and get a new one from REI.
Something "has" to be wrong. (I'm not a complete idiot) wink

Steripen Adventurer Opti (after the sensor rework). After setting up my tent I treat all the water I'm likely to need in camp for dinner and breakfast, and ensuring a full supply to start the next day. Never had a non-battery-or-mosquito-related problem.

It does seem to eat batteries, but nowhere close to the per-pint level!
August 02, 2011 08:49PM
OK. Thanks. I'll bring mine back to REI and whine and pay the difference for the Opti.
I'll mention the reworked sensor that you mentioned...

I'm OK with it using a set of batts every couple of trips.. but not me having to knock my
head on the granite after 10 red lights in a row. I said screw it on one trip and just
filled up my platy right out of the stream. On another spent 10x the time it would have
taken me to fill up with Katydyn. Mind you, I don't HATE the thing.. it just drive me nuts.

August 02, 2011 08:55PM
You can probably google a bit and find more backup material on the reworked sensor...the first time I thought about it I searched and saw complaints that it couldn't deal with 'fresh snowmelt' or other 'too pure' water...hence Hitech's 'pinch of salt' post you see above, that was a recommendation for a water sensor that couldn't always detect water. Their own site mentioned the redesign in a FAQ at the time I decided to go ahead and buy my Steripen.
August 02, 2011 09:08PM
Yes. I've heard about this before actually.
Unless it is Cool Grape Goodness or Sweet Nectar... I flat out refuse to put stuff
(chlorine, iodine, aqua pure, salt, etc.) into Sierra Water...
My take is that if I want disgusting chlorinated water... I'll open the tap at my house.

August 03, 2011 01:55PM
chick-on
Unless it is Cool Grape Goodness or Sweet Nectar... I flat out refuse to put stuff
(chlorine, iodine, aqua pure, salt, etc.) into Sierra Water...

Not even Twinkie dust?
August 04, 2011 05:30PM
Returned it at lunch for the Opti. I'll report back how it works.

Also, HiTech, I did a test of the inline filter at home this morning...
(attached to hydration pack)... and it doesn't meet my exacting standards.
It takes too much effort to get water thru it with my chopper. Needs more at home testing...

So... taking the Steripen tmr.

August 04, 2011 05:32PM
chick-on
HiTech, I did a test of the inline filter at home this morning...
It takes too much effort to get water thru it with my chopper. Needs more at home testing...

And idea how long it woould take to fill a one liter bottle when used as a gravity filter?

Thanks.
August 04, 2011 05:40PM
Hitech
chick-on
HiTech, I did a test of the inline filter at home this morning...

And idea how long it woould take to fill a one liter bottle when used as a gravity filter?

Thanks.

Anything over one minute is too long. The Hiker will do one liter in a minute and you don't have things swimming around in it like you would with a Steripen.
(by the way sterilized horse poop is still horse poop)

Old Dude
August 02, 2011 10:09PM
ttilley
I've been very happy w/ my Steripen, I bought it 13 months ago, works great, only 'red lights' have been either 'battery needs replacing' or 'operator removed pen from water due to mosquito bites'.

i bought the Steripen Classic years back, works nice but is donkey heavy, ahh as i morph from a 55 lber to a 35 lb mid lite i may get some rubber bands and coffee filters...and as a donkey i can tell you, 55 lbs makes you drink more water, that's why when I weighed my pack on the valley floor after 3 days outta cathedral it weighed 65...oh yeah with full nalgenes...
August 03, 2011 08:58AM
rroland
ttilley

i bought the Steripen Classic years back, works nice but is donkey heavy, ahh as i morph from a 55 lber to a 35 lb mid lite i may get some rubber bands and coffee filters...and as a donkey i can tell you, 55 lbs makes you drink more water, that's why when I weighed my pack on the valley floor after 3 days outta cathedral it weighed 65...oh yeah with full nalgenes...
The steripen is heavy? How much does this little thing weigh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 09:00AM by hotrod4x5.
August 03, 2011 02:00PM
hotrod4x5
[The steripen is heavy? How much does this little thing weigh?

According to REI it is 6.5 oz. I don't know if that includes the carrying case. And, you need at least on set of extra batteries. But no, I wouldn't call it heavy. grinning smiley
August 03, 2011 02:29PM
Hitech
hotrod4x5

According to REI it is 6.5 oz. I don't know if that includes the carrying case. And, you need at least on set of extra batteries. But no, I wouldn't call it heavy. grinning smiley

OK I guess my problem is I carry too much water at a time. I usually have like 3 full nalgenes dangling on the back of Coyote Kelty pack. I drink alot of water and always get anxious when I get low....
August 04, 2011 08:38PM
Hitech
hotrod4x5

By the time I pack the Steripen, the backup Steripen, the spare batteries for both and the Micropur as a backup to the Steripen and the backup Steripen... I toss it all back in the box and take the filter.
August 06, 2011 07:00AM
AlmostThere
Hitech
hotrod4x5

By the time I pack the Steripen, the backup Steripen, the spare batteries for both and the Micropur as a backup to the Steripen and the backup Steripen... I toss it all back in the box and take the filter.
Good point. I never thought about needing a backup and batteries. My sweetwater filter has served me well for many years, don't see the need for anything else.
August 06, 2011 10:54PM
If anyone is interested, I just tested my saywer as a gravity filter. With at most a 2 foot head it filtered 1 liter of water in 1.5 minutes. And no pumping required!

I attached it to a hydration pack and filtered into a bottle. I just set the hydration pack on my shoulder and put the bottle on the counter (at home).
August 07, 2011 01:34PM
hotrod4x5
I never thought about needing a backup and batteries.

You can carry a small bottle of water treatment pills for backup.
August 08, 2011 07:41AM
Thanks ttilley.

Steripen Adventurer Opti is the bomb. Filtered many litres this weekend+ w/ zero red lights.
Optical sensor is sooooo much better than the Current sensor.
Very happy. Great piece of gear. And IMO there certainly isn't a need to take an extra
set of incredibly heavy (1.15 oz) batteries on every trip.

Also for the people poo poo-ing it: Take your complaints to Backpacker Magazine.
It received an award this year for great gear. And they are right.

August 08, 2011 07:59AM
chick-on
Thanks ttilley.

Steripen Adventurer Opti is the bomb. Filtered many litres this weekend+ w/ zero red lights.
Very happy. Great piece of gear. And IMO there certainly isn't a need to take an extra

Also for the people poo poo-ing it: Take your complaints to Backpacker Magazine.

OK. Chick-on Steried about five liters Friday afternoon and I drank a lot of it. No horses where we were and he ran the water through a cloth filter to get the chunks out.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 08:00AM by mrcondron.
August 08, 2011 10:28AM
mrcondron
chick-on
Thanks ttilley.

OK. Chick-on Steried about five liters Friday afternoon and I drank a lot of it. No horses where we were and he ran the water through a cloth filter to get the chunks out.

http://www.steripen.com/adventurer-opti

....The new optical sensor doubles as a convenient LED flashlight....

Also available with a solar charging case that includes a double-cell rechargeable CR123 battery and provides secure storage for the purifier....

(Just add a whistle and a nose hair clipper to make it truly sublime.)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 14, 2011 10:04AM
Frank Furter
mrcondron
chick-on
Thanks ttilley.

Also available with a solar charging case that includes a double-cell rechargeable CR123 battery and provides secure storage for the purifier....

"Solar panel recharges 1 double-cell battery in 2 - 5 days, depending on solar conditions"

I love waiting 2-5 days for water.

Old Dude
August 14, 2011 01:30PM
mrcondron
Frank Furter
mrcondron
chick-on
Thanks ttilley.

"Solar panel recharges 1 double-cell battery in 2 - 5 days, depending on solar conditions"

Batteries? Who needs batteries when one can use this Steripen, battery-free!

And here's a video showing how to use it:

August 15, 2011 07:24AM
mrcondron

What is your point in trying to discredit the Steripen?

The Opti works 110% as advertised. I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend the solar charger for the simple fact that it's added weight.
At least not for backpacking.

August 15, 2011 09:02AM
chick-on
mrcondron

What is your point in trying to discredit the Steripen?

The Opti works 110% as advertised. I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend the solar charger for the simple fact that it's added weight.
At least not for backpacking.

Bird Brain,
I was referring to the charger. C'mon 2-5 days to charge those tiny battries???. Please note the kind remarks about the Opti on an earlier post.

Old Dude
August 15, 2011 03:19PM
Back to the original question: I pack two 1-litre platypus bottles with a sippy tube at the beginning of each hiking day. Another two liters gets me through dinner & breakfast. So I can get by on about a gallon a day. By comparison, the ration for big-wall climbers was 1 quart per man per day, BITD.

My girlfriend got me a Steripen Opti for my birthday last year. Lately it's been saving my butt with all the nasty skeeters this summer. Pumping at a water source would be heinous. Here's my system:

Two 2+ liter Platypus (dirty)
Two 1 liter Playpus (clean)
One 1 liter Platypus with the top cut off (for gathering water and Steripen-ing)
Sippy tube
Opti & extra batteries.

Start hike with 2 liters in small Platys.

Right before or after making camp, plow into mosquito horde at water source and fill big platys. Retreat to tent.

In tent, Steripen 2 liters for dinner/breakfast. In the morning, Streri 2 liters for following hiking day.

Repeat. Works great for me.
August 18, 2011 04:02PM
QITNL
Back to the original question: I pack two 1-litre platypus bottles with a sippy tube at the beginning of each hiking day. Another two liters gets me through dinner & breakfast. So I can get by on about a gallon a day. By comparison, the ration for big-wall climbers was 1 quart per man per day, BITD.

My girlfriend got me a Steripen Opti for my birthday last year. Lately it's been saving my butt with all the nasty skeeters this summer. Pumping at a water source would be heinous. Here's my system:

Two 2+ liter Platypus (dirty)
Two 1 liter Playpus (clean)
One 1 liter Platypus with the top cut off (for gathering water and Steripen-ing)
Sippy tube
Opti & extra batteries.

Start hike with 2 liters in small Platys.

Right before or after making camp, plow into mosquito horde at water source and fill big platys. Retreat to tent.

In tent, Steripen 2 liters for dinner/breakfast. In the morning, Streri 2 liters for following hiking day.

Repeat. Works great for me.
Since you have a 2 liter "dirty" platypus container, you could filter with a hand pump type back in the tent into the smaller ones, thereby eliminating the mosquito problem.

Just pointing out that having a hand pump doesn't automatically mean you have to get bit anymore than with steri pen.
August 18, 2011 04:54PM
Yeah, that would work, but in my experience my filter (Katadyn Hiker) is a little sloppy. I can do the Steri thing in my tent without dripping a drop of water.
August 13, 2011 11:12PM
I just went 6 nights w/ 6+ liters per day, starting from a fresh set of batteries, and only had to change the batteries on the last day. This is better battery life than I've had in the past...I guess the big cheap pack of Surefire[tm]s I bought is somewhat better than Duracell, where 4 nights w/ 6 liters per day can be touch and go.
August 02, 2011 06:56PM
The Powerade Zero calorie drink is utterly worthless as an electrolyte drink on a strenuous hike. It has 0 carbs:

http://www.us.powerade.com/zero/
August 02, 2011 08:05PM
Ulysses61

The Powerade Zero calorie drink is utterly worthless as an electrolyte drink on a strenuous hike. It has 0 carbs:

Unless it's beer or tequila, I'd rather eat my carbs, than drink them. wink

(Just chow down a handful of trail mix in between swigs of the Powerade Zero. That ought to work.)
August 02, 2011 08:08PM
What do you have against wine carbs, huh? California-grown wine carbs help the California economy, no?
August 02, 2011 08:15PM
Nothing really, but I prefer drinking a nice bottle of red wine in a more civilized setting (like the Mountain Room Restaurant at the Yosemite Lodge).

Outdoors, ice old beer (or a refreshing Margarita on the rocks) are my alcoholic beverages of choice. grinning smiley
August 02, 2011 08:38PM
If I'm taking wine into the wilderness I'll take white wine, I think it survives transport better, and as I prefer higher terrain...the cooler evening weather seems a better match.
August 02, 2011 08:55PM
ttilley
If I'm taking wine into the wilderness ...

I used to have a girlfriend that whined in the wilderness.
August 02, 2011 09:14PM
snorkus

I used to have a girlfriend that whined in the wilderness.

August 04, 2011 10:16PM
Ulysses61

Don't quite understand the logic there. Electrolytes don't have calories or carbs. It would seem that it would still function as an electrolyte replacement drink.

It might make for a lousy energy drink. However - stuff like Gatorade aren't terribly high calorie to begin with. If you need more energy, definitely bring along some Clif Bars or something similar.
August 05, 2011 04:53AM
y_p_w
Ulysses61

Don't quite understand the logic there. Electrolytes don't have calories or carbs. It would seem that it would still function as an electrolyte replacement drink.

It might make for a lousy energy drink. However - stuff like Gatorade aren't terribly high calorie to begin with. If you need more energy, definitely bring along some Clif Bars or something similar.

After intially scanning Ulysses61's post, I also needed to go back and think about that one a bit.
Eventually came to the conclusion that Ulysses61 was indeed trying to say that, although it may replace replace one's electrolytes, it is not useful as an energy drink.
Using "energy drink" instead of "electrolyte drink" in the original post would have conveyed that message more readily.
August 19, 2011 09:41AM
Ulysses61

It can have "electrolytes" without having calories. Whether a drink with electrolytes is more useful than plain water or worth the cost for most people is another question.

-- Carl Sagan
August 04, 2011 05:20PM
I guess "enough" isnt the answer you're looking for...
August 18, 2011 08:25PM
I just brought my First Need XL and refilled on the Tuolumne when we stopped for lunch. I had to make sure that my kids were drinking enough.
We went from TM to Glen Aulin area and back to TM in 8 hours of hiking. We went through 10 bottles times 24 ounces, along with three 12 oz bottles of Gatorade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login