Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Cr. CGs and RVs ?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Cr. CGs and RVs ?
August 02, 2011 08:37AM
The Yosemite Guide, pg 16, states in the column on the left that "RVs over 24 feet are not recommended...", and the CG table on the same page says "No RVs/trailers". Does anyone have current info on the road conditions to these CGs? We have a new to us 24' RV (1 foot less than max. width) and would like to stay at Tamarack. I have seen a fairly large RV at Tamarack in a Panoramio pic.

Regarding Tuolumne CG, in another post someone stated they have always gotten a first come site on Sundays before 11 AM. Can someone comment on this? Or do we have to get in line at 6 AM for any hope?

Happy Hiking, Brian
Re: Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Cr. CGs and RVs ?
August 02, 2011 08:53AM
My truck is 22 ft long and I wouldn't hesitate to take it in there. I think you'll be fine.
avatar Re: Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Cr. CGs and RVs ?
August 02, 2011 09:04AM
IMO... if it says No R/Vs then I wouldn't take an RV down there:
(and it does)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

The recent guide that I received (June 29-Aug 2, 2011) states the exact same thing.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 02, 2011 09:14AM
chick-on
IMO... if it says No R/Vs then I wouldn't take an RV down there:
(and it does)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

The recent guide that I received (June 29-Aug 2, 2011) states the exact same thing.

They've probably installed some new potholes.
Totally refurbishing a RV suspension doesn't cost much... does it?
(Jarringly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 09:14AM by szalkowski.
August 02, 2011 09:25AM
When we arrived at the Yosemite gate on a Thursday at 11:00 am the campground sign said all sites full. This is an usually busy year and I think that what has previously considered the norm for first come first serve campgrounds just does not apply this year. In previous years I have arrived on a Sunday for first come first serve in Bridalveil and Tuolomne by 11:00 and haven't had a problem, but this year is an exception. We had people trolling the North Pines campground trying to take empty spaces because they were out of luck in the rest of the park. Problem with this (like I told the trollers) is that they are paid and reserved and people can and have arrived at their campsites in the evening and even at night. They paid for it and are entitled to show up at any time. I saw campers arrive in the middle of the night this year (very quiet and considerate though).

The trollers couldn't comprehend empty campsites sitting there while they become more and more desperate for a place to set up. Of course I directed them to the campground office as well as the camp hosts. Perhaps they were hoping that I would invite them to stay with us!

I also noticed Camp 4 was full of regular campers with complete disregard for campground courtesy. It looked like a shantytown (more so than I have seen in the past) and appeared full of families and big groups. Coolers, bottles of soda and food were all over the place and not in bear boxes. Too many people breaking the rules and not enough rangers to enforce.

I was told that some mornings at Camp 4 there have been no openings and others just a few. And if this is a desired place to camp, each member including children must be in line. No holding places (so the signs and rangers say).

Personally, I would be in line as early as possible to ensure a site, even if it meant getting up at some ridiculous hour and driving through the night. But that is me and my two cents!
August 02, 2011 10:48AM
Strix
The Yosemite Guide, pg 16, states in the column on the left that "RVs over 24 feet are not recommended...", and the CG table on the same page says "No RVs/trailers". Does anyone have current info on the road conditions to these CGs? We have a new to us 24' RV (1 foot less than max. width) and would like to stay at Tamarack. I have seen a fairly large RV at Tamarack in a Panoramio pic.

If you care about your new to you 24' RV, I would NOT recommend either campground. The roads to both campgrounds are both rough, narrow, and on some parts of those roads your nice RV might also get scratched by the nearby brush or low hanging tree limbs.

I don't know how old is the Yosemite Guide that you're referring to, but the most recent one (Volume 36, Issue 6: August 3, 2011 - September 6, 2011) clearly states "No RVs/trailers" inside the guide in regards to both Tamarack Flat and Yosemite Creek Campgrounds.

Here's the image of the Campgrounds information table located on Page 16 of the most recent Yosemite Guide (Volume 36, Issue 6):

Please respect all of Yosemite National Park's regulations, including those regarding campgrounds.

Thank You

Leave No Trace
August 02, 2011 12:33PM
Don't take that RV to Tamarack. The road is too narrow for it.
Re: Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Cr. CGs and RVs ?
August 02, 2011 01:19PM
Thanks for your helpful responses. And others.....Marmots can be amusing but not so helpful.

Regarding "No RVs/trailers", I repeat, in the left column "General Info" it states "over 24 feet not recommended" so this would be advisory, not a regulation or prohibition. Thus my reason for seeking useful info. It is in the current issue and previous ones. I have no intention of violating regs.
Here is the pdf of the guide. Go to page 16. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg11-6.pdf

EDIT; I'm still a backpacker and tent camper by heart and prefer remote campgrounds. We have taken the RV to FS and BLM backroad CGs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 01:41PM by Strix.
August 02, 2011 01:28PM
ding ding ding... ah... I see it now...

OK, good job on the pamphlet. not Let's be more ambiuous.

Having driven on the roads in a regular small little SUV.. I wouldn't take an R/V down either one myself.

Sorry, hopefully others can help out more.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 02, 2011 03:26PM
Strix
Regarding "No RVs/trailers", I repeat, in the left column "General Info" it states "over 24 feet not recommended" so this would be advisory, not a regulation or prohibition. Thus my reason for seeking useful info. It is in the current issue and previous ones. I have no intention of violating regs.
Here is the pdf of the guide. Go to page 16. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg11-6.pdf

Thanks for pointing out that contradictory information. I didn't noticed it before (I was just focused on the campgrounds information table on the same page).

Anyway, wanting to get to the bottom of this myself for future reference, I contacted the Yosemite Park Campground Office (209-372-8502) for their official take. The nice lady that I talked to over the phone confirmed what I suspected, that what is written on the lefthand column of page 16 of the Yosemite Guide is incorrect. They do not recommend any RVs or trailers at neither the Tamarack Flat nor Yosemite Creek Campgrounds because the very poor condition of the access roads.

If you want to confirm this information yourself, just contact the Yosemite Campground Office by phone: (209) 372-8502.

Leave No Trace
August 02, 2011 03:55PM
Strix
Thanks for your helpful responses. And others.....Marmots can be amusing but not so helpful.

plawrence
Anyway, wanting to get to the bottom of this myself for future reference, I contacted the Yosemite Park Campground Office (209-372-8502) for their official take. The nice lady that I talked to over the phone confirmed what I suspected, that what is written on the lefthand column of page 16 of the Yosemite Guide is incorrect. They do not recommend any RVs or trailers at neither the Tamarack Flat nor Yosemite Creek Campgrounds because the very poor condition of the access roads.

... and Strix thought that the marmots were just bending his struts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login